bumper

anyone been bitten
« on: July 27, 2006, 05:33:44 pm »
Ive been bitten every day since friday by horse flies.very nasty big lump, very red and blistered,and itchy,i think they wait for me in the bushes under the windows,went out today bought some jungle insect repellent,hope it works,anyone else been bitten. :'(

Clear Vision

Re: anyone been bitten
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 05:41:49 pm »
Wife bites me all the time ;D ;D ;D

Would take more than jungle insect repelent to keep her away ;D ;D ;D

But on a serious note I haven't been bitten as yet but I've seen some unusual besties flying around!

Clear Vision

Squeegee Clean blackpool

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 06:11:53 pm »
I workm in a village slap bang in the middle of a midge infested forestand get bitten all the time until now. Found out from the locals and forestrycomm that "avon skin so soft dry oil" is the best thing to keep em away they now use it instead of jungle formula.

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 06:31:48 pm »
I've been nabbed three times by horse flies in the past two weeks; once while walking the dog; so that doesn't count, I don't think.

Luckily enough on each occassion I've caught the blighter at it, so my bites haven't flared up as much as they could've.

After getting bitten, take a hay-fever type anti-hystamine tablet; it does help, but after it wears off, by the next morning you've still got a big-red ichy lump; that's even more uncomfortable when the sun heats it up.

Jake

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 07:39:15 pm »
The annoying thing about Horseflies, is that they keep on pestering you, so much so you give up, then the little gits get ya !!

A tip: they take a while too settle on your skin before they bite, wait a few sec's', keep nice and still, then FLATTEN the b*****d !

;)
Exeter, Devon

Mike George

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 08:02:18 pm »
Living on the canal we get plagued by all sorts of flying biting things. My wife gets bitten all the time but they never bother me. She's tried the Avon oil stuff but it didn't work.

I have been bitten by ants when I'm working, and if I have to lean over any vegetation I take an old blanket to drape over it to protect me.
Don't recognise people?
Mike's face blindness blog

dave0123

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2006, 08:03:33 pm »
iv been bitten rite on my thumb and it has swollen up, and then i hit the ladder rung onto it rite on it wiv my ali pointer and its cut it lmao! would b rite on the spot! its all itchly anyway and now even more sore >:(
Dave.

gaza

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2006, 08:44:31 pm »
Been bitten on my privates
had to go to the  Docs
I asked him  if he had anything for the pain
but leave the swelling

GAZA  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2006, 09:07:49 pm »
had to go to the  Docs
but leave the swelling

GAZA  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

A friend of mine had a hernia into his scrotum.  Similar scenario.

Old joke though, Gazza!

shammy davis jnr

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2006, 09:21:06 pm »
skin so soft excelent even the sas use it while training in scotland ....

jeff1

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2006, 10:02:12 pm »
your dead right shammy

Ian_Giles

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2006, 06:34:22 am »
There is an area I work (the army camp houses Tosh) where those bloody horseflies are everywhere >:(
I've been bitten all over by the blasted things, they are easy to kill, once they settle on you they can be swatted with ease, I like to stun them and then do the childish thing of pulling their legs off if they've taken a lump out of me >:( >:(
I also prepare and maintain a cricket pitch and outfield down there and I really have got lumps all over the place from the damn things.
And don't you just hate brushing past really strong stinging nettles??
My one little dog hates them too, he has a routine, if he has been at work with me he always knows when we are driving up the lane where we live and has to stand on my lap barking and whining...
I open the door after I've backed up into the drive, open the door and he leaps out, spins round 360 degrees and attacks the nettles, and when they sting his mouth he attacks them some more lol.
I can even point at an offending nettle and he'll pull it out the ground and tear it to shreds, the other dogs look at him like he's barkin ??? (pun intended  ;D)

Time for work.

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

Paul Coleman

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2006, 06:48:08 am »
had to go to the  Docs
but leave the swelling

GAZA  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

Should have told her to take her teeth out first.

sair

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2006, 08:55:29 am »
try a clove garlic a day in your cooking, its good for the blood as well and gives of a vapour through your pores . i never get bitten by anything we have horse flies around us all day,
and before anyone says about your galic breath, if you suffer this way chew some parsley as it conteracts the smell
Essentially Pure Ltd

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2006, 05:09:31 pm »
try a clove garlic a day in your cooking, its good for the blood as well and gives of a vapour through your pores . i never get bitten by anything we have horse flies around us all day,
and before anyone says about your galic breath, if you suffer this way chew some parsley as it conteracts the smell

Sair,

I'm a garlic freak; I'll use not a 'clove', but whole heads of the stuff at a time.

I still get bitten.

I've tried the parsley thing as well.

My breath still stinks.

I've not been bitten by a vampire though.