Andy Hogarth

Working at heights
« on: July 27, 2006, 11:24:29 am »
Hello, I'm not a window cleaner by trade but have been asked if I would consider doing a one off for a local office block I deliver to on my postal round.

I am unsure as to what height I can legally work to from a ladder as this is the way I'd be doing it.

The highest windows are about 30 ft high, The height doesn't bother me as I used to be a roofing labourer, I'd just like to know if, with the regulation in place I am legally allowed to work at these heights off a ladder or if I should pass it on to someone with a wfp system.

Any advice/info would be appreciated

Thanks

Andy
Www.2venturegroup.com

poleman

Re: Working at heights
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 12:01:55 pm »
BH this is what is so bad about are industry, 30ft, no insurance, no RA, moon lighters, sooner they get out of our industry and leave it to the hard working pros the better.   

Andy

Andy Hogarth

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 12:33:10 pm »
Poleman, like I said it's a one off, I'll be doing it through an aquaintances cleaning business as he has the foyer and toilets contract, I don't know if his insurance will cover it but I'll look into it.

I'm not trying to wind anyone up, I just wanted some advice, A simple walk away it's not worth it would have sufficed if thats the case.

I've cleaned windows (houses) before and have experience working at heights and this is the only reason I considered doing it, I wanted to check if the height was a problem.

If it's not worth me doing (and I need the extra cash) Then I'll leave it to the hard working pros but if theres a legit way I can do it then of course I will.

Andy
Www.2venturegroup.com

ronaldo

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 12:35:45 pm »
Andy, stick to delivering letters mate its alot safer !
A bad days fishing is better than a good days work !

Andy Hogarth

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 12:41:54 pm »
ha ha, Yeah I think thats the best case ronaldo

Honestly though, I'm a sensible person, I'd have taken any saftey precautions I could have, looking at the windows I din't see it as that big a threat, but if you guys do and advise turn it down then so be it.

I spoke to the cleaner and his insurance doesn't cover much more than step ladders height so without insurance I guess it wouldn't be legal anyhow.

I just wanted to be clear

Cheers

Andy
Www.2venturegroup.com

ronaldo

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 12:44:58 pm »
Andy, try asking on here for help there is bound to be a wc on this forum that operates near to where you are cheers Ron.
A bad days fishing is better than a good days work !

Paul Coleman

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2006, 01:13:37 pm »
Hello, I'm not a window cleaner by trade but have been asked if I would consider doing a one off for a local office block I deliver to on my postal round.

I am unsure as to what height I can legally work to from a ladder as this is the way I'd be doing it.

The highest windows are about 30 ft high, The height doesn't bother me as I used to be a roofing labourer, I'd just like to know if, with the regulation in place I am legally allowed to work at these heights off a ladder or if I should pass it on to someone with a wfp system.

Any advice/info would be appreciated

Thanks

Andy

I may be wrong but I think the maximum height for working off a ladder was 7 metres.  However, the regs that were introduced in April 2005 changed things.  How much they changed things depends on how you want to interpret the regs but there is a bit that reckons that if a job can be done by means other than working at height, then that means should be used.  Where the legislation falls down is that, because it is generic, it doesn't state what things must be taken into consideration when deciding if a job can be done without working at height.  For instance, it doesn't mention quality.  Clearly, with painting, it would be ludicrous to try glossing windows with a brush on the end of an extension pole because the quality would be rubbish (as well as too time consuming).  However, with window cleaning, things are less clear.  Generally, it is possible to do a perfectly acceptable job with a water fed pole - but this is a matter of individual opinion.  The legislation seems to give no mention of individual opinions and quality of work in regards to how to work.
Anyway, working at 30 feet would, I think, have been illegal even before the regulation changes so you'd probably be better off declining.  Maybe a local WFP operator will look favourably on you putting him onto the job?

Andy Hogarth

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2006, 01:18:18 pm »
Cheers for that, I'll speak to the guy tomorrow and ask if he want's me to find a decent wfp

Anyone in the York area????

Andy
Www.2venturegroup.com

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2006, 04:03:21 pm »

If it's not worth me doing (and I need the extra cash) Then I'll leave it to the hard working pros but if theres a legit way I can do it then of course I will.

Andy

Andy, 30 feet is some way to fall, for a one-off job, that's probably minging and hard-work too.

I'd leave it; personally.  I rarely do one-offs as I price them well, and normally the quote is declined.

If you need the cash, get out there and canvass up some safer jobs.

There's loads of work out there; it's just a matter of advertising yourself and going looking for it.

Tristan R Clean

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2006, 04:49:09 pm »
Andy we are near York and WFP +   fully insured to 5 million
Tel : 07946584730 , e-mail : tristanmiddle@yahoo.co.uk.
Thanks - Tris

JohnL

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2006, 06:00:49 pm »
Shiner, somewhere in the H&S regs it says something to the effect if a window cannot be cleaned safely the owner must accept the window will have to stay dirty.

I am not trawling thro the regs to fine the exact wording either   ;D    ;D    ;D

JohnL
West Somerset. On the edge of the Quantocks and looking at The Exmoor National Park.