Clear Vision

I need a backpack!
« on: July 25, 2006, 11:39:00 pm »
Hi all,

I only have 30m of hose which I work out of the van. It's not enough though. I'm waiting on 100m of hose which should be here by the end of this month.

But there is still a few houses that I cant access with the van so I'm thinking of a backpack? Gettin really fed up with my trolley as It's far too heavy to be carting around. It's just left in the van and treated as a static system. So I want to take it off the trolley and fix it to the van permantly

What backpack should I go for? Do they come ready fitted with a pump? I really now nothing about them :-[

If they do come with a pump what kind are they and what size? Will I need a 100psi pump?

Do they come ready to go so you can plug your hose in or do you have to adapt for window cleaning?

What is the battery like? How long will it last for?

All advice on this one would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Matthew
Clear Vision

jouk45

Re: I need a backpack!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 11:50:19 pm »
vision, best one for price, and i am sure they are ready to go

http://www.cleantech.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_42&products_id=78

Clear Vision

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 11:52:08 pm »
40psi pump :o  Is this enough? Will it be surflo?

How do you turn them on and off?

Matthew

AuRavelling79

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 11:54:41 pm »
Tosh uses a shurflo and so do I - it's got a 40psi pump built in and a 7 a/h battery too. It's got 4 flow settings (and "off") and in hot weather I use 3/4 to rinse properly and 2 is good on leaded georgian.

I got mine from cleantech (nominally 16 litres, but it takes 20 if you can lift it!) for about £170 I think and it comes with an on off trigger and hoselock fitting and they supplied a double hoselock endstop with a bit of tricoflex hose too. (I've made up a hoselock to microbore fitting)

On rare occasions when my main system battery is low (or once when my pump packed up)  or if my tank is out and I need to finish off I have connected the backpack through my 100m of microbore and got a good enough flow to keep going for a couple of hours.

I think you can get them about £20/30 cheaper but being American made you have to get an adaptor for the charger plug and you need to put on the right hose connections.

Good kit!
It's a game of three halves!

master cleaner

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 11:56:14 pm »
40psi pump :o  Is this enough? Will it be surflo?

How do you turn them on and off?

Matthew

i have 3 of these backpacks £215each inc vat and delivery yes they are surflo they hold 18ltr full the battery lasts a full day and there are 4 settings on it we use setting 1 if you put it on setting 5 you would be wasting loads of water , number 2 setting would be the highest i would use it on , first cleans.

gary

Clear Vision

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 12:01:35 am »
Thanks guys.

Will give cleantech a phone tomorrow.

Will it work wit my auto brush? How does it switch on and off?

I use varistream and thats what I'm used to. That switches my pump on and off.

Could someone post a pic of one as the ones on the cleantech web site are tiny.

Cheers

Clear Vision

jouk45

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 12:06:34 am »

Clear Vision

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2006, 12:09:14 am »
nice one jouk!

Do they come with that black padded thing and straps on the back?

Does it come with a charger?

master cleaner

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2006, 12:09:48 am »
yes it should work with the auto brush , what i do is i have got a flow control valve on my pole hose so i have the trigger that the backpack comes with in the on position permanently , and i use my flow control valve to control the water.

gary

jouk45

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2006, 12:12:05 am »

Clear Vision

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2006, 12:12:58 am »
What happens when you cut off the water to it? Does the pump automatically shut off then come back on when the water is turned on?

P.S How do you switch it on and off?

WavieDavie

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2006, 12:16:17 am »
Will it work wit my auto brush?
Doesn't matter what pump you have, the Autobrush should work with it.

How does it switch on and off?
You reach round to the switch underneath and er . . .keep pressing the switch until it goes off.

Could someone post a pic of one as the ones on the cleantech web site are tiny.

Do a search on ebay.co.uk for shurflo back pack and look under international results. If you're desparate I can email you the instruction book.

By the way, is the Keppoch still open? I used to get some headaches after visiting that place. But that was in the days of drink-driving being the nationalsport in Inverness!

Sorry- back on topic
Yes the straps come with it. Yes a charger comes with it too. If you buy a US based one you need to change the charger for a GB one

I'm knackered - you're worse than the wife with all these questions  :-*
You're a Scottish window-cleaner? Licensed or not, get yourself along to www.slwcn.org right now !

Davie Park
Dalzell Window Cleaning Service - Edinburgh www.windowscleaner.co.uk

master cleaner

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2006, 12:19:38 am »
i just put the backpack on the foor and it turns itself off after 8 mins but the pump stops as soon as you turn the water off

gary

Clear Vision

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2006, 12:20:42 am »
The keppoch inn?

Remind me where it is. I do hear of it from time to time.

Thanks all for answering my questions.

Cheers

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2006, 05:57:42 pm »
The keppoch inn?

Remind me where it is. I do hear of it from time to time.

Wasn't that the gay bar in Inverness, the one near the town centre by the White Horse Inn?

Anyway,

I purchased one from E-Bay USA and the total price was approximately £170 and this included import duty and a £10 handling charge by Parcel Force.

It took about ten days to arrive, after a bit of a kerfuffle with Paypal verifying my bank account.

I've seen the same item on sale in the UK for £260.  Mind you, if it breaks down, your warranty probably isn't worth the paper it's written on, by the time you pay for postage to the USA and back.  So, depending on your attitude to risk, it may be better to purchase from a reputable UK supplier and pay the extra.

I've been using my 1st backpack for 10 months now, it's had some knocks and drops, but it's still going strong.

The battery is great too.  I used it yesturday morning, tops only, then today I cleaned a small restaraunt, a medium sized hotel and a large house; all 100% and no problems at all.

master cleaner

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2006, 06:15:11 pm »
one of my backpacks broke down yesterday morning so came home and phoned cleantech i recieved a brand new replacement this morning , i also bought a spare battery with the plastic attached and another backpack as a spare

fantastic after service from mike at cleantech

thanx

gary

niceandclean

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2006, 07:07:20 pm »
Can you clean the downstairs with the backpack? It seems alot of you wfp guys only clean upstairs wfp and bottoms trad? Is it due to saving pure water?

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2006, 09:09:31 pm »
Can you clean the downstairs with the backpack? It seems alot of you wfp guys only clean upstairs wfp and bottoms trad? Is it due to saving pure water?

You could, but I think it would be a pain re-filling the backpack all the time, but on some jobs, it would be worth doing ground floor and above. 

It just depends.

Usually, I find it's quick to do the first floor with WFP and then do the ground floor with a squeegie.  If I can't reach any ground floor windows; I WFP them too.

Some properties; small and straightforward ones; I'll still use ladders.

D.Salkeld_Ltd

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2006, 10:55:18 pm »
Guys,

I use a Shurflo Backpack for everything.  Wash the lot!!

Spare Battery and get a charger from Maplins
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=1&ModuleNo=33070&doy=27m7

David
Not Perfect - But Honest

david68

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2006, 11:45:50 pm »
Which model are u using as i have just checked on ebay.
Information stating new model SRS-600, this replaces the SHURflo SRS - 540.
Also whats the difference between models.
Thanks in advance
Dave

Link for SRS 600 Model

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRAND-NEW-SHURflo-Rechargeable-Backpack-Sprayer-SRS-600_W0QQitemZ180010043694QQihZ008QQcategoryZ75667QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Which model does cleantech sale?
David

www.ccwin.co.uk

My learning hobby
www.dbritweb.com