captain lard

Unger Unitec telescopic pole(trad)
« on: July 25, 2006, 03:08:17 pm »
Howdy,am thinking of getting the largest of these to help get to some awkward windows,I am trad,and want to see if I can clean windows above conservatories for example or have difficult access due to porch roofs/funny little ledges etc.Does anyone use one? I was wondering if you can only stick Unger applicator and squeegee handles onto the pole-which isnt a problem cos I have both.Is it a worthwhile bit of kit .
On some windows I will have to stand below and on some I might have to go up me ladder parallel to the window and clean it from sideways on.
I am imagining detailing might be very tricky if not impossible,can practise a bit at home I suppose but am wondering if the results are not worth the expense/trouble?

Fast 1 *

Re: Unger Unitec telescopic pole(trad)
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 03:20:34 pm »
I us a long telescopic pole for very large(and high)glass(commercial).Never applicate to the top of window.For smaller jobs i wouldnt recommend it.
wildstyles

jodan63

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 03:52:11 pm »
obviously as you will see  i am a total beginner. wot do you mean"never applicateto the top window"

Paul Coleman

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 03:53:08 pm »
Howdy,am thinking of getting the largest of these to help get to some awkward windows,I am trad,and want to see if I can clean windows above conservatories for example or have difficult access due to porch roofs/funny little ledges etc.Does anyone use one? I was wondering if you can only stick Unger applicator and squeegee handles onto the pole-which isnt a problem cos I have both.Is it a worthwhile bit of kit .
On some windows I will have to stand below and on some I might have to go up me ladder parallel to the window and clean it from sideways on.
I am imagining detailing might be very tricky if not impossible,can practise a bit at home I suppose but am wondering if the results are not worth the expense/trouble?

I found it very useful when I did trad.  You won't get to all the difficult windows but many of them will now be doable.  I suggest getting swiv-loc applicator and squeegee too - including the zero degree angled squeegee.  Great for when you can't work directly beneath a window or your pole is horizontal when it reaches the bottom of a window.

Fast 1 *

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 03:56:59 pm »
if you appliclicate(mop)to the top of the window,there is a high chance you will get drips.Try and mop about an inch or so below.This way there is no detailing required on the top.
wildstyles

captain lard

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 04:08:35 pm »
Good tip Fast One,Shiner,I have found the Swivelloc handle which has 7 positions and angles from zero to a 30 degree angle and the sc channel - is that what you mean?

Actually this has opened me eyes a little cos I do the glass on a few conservatories but not the roofs so if I get the poles etc I can offer another service and inc. me earning potential.Brilliant.(Have picked up on another thread the conservatory roof possibility)

Mike George

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 09:37:32 pm »
if you appliclicate(mop)to the top of the window,there is a high chance you will get drips.Try and mop about an inch or so below.This way there is no detailing required on the top.

On the first clean on a dirty window I use lots of water and splodge it around the edges and the frame to get the dirt off, then wait for the drips to drip off and go back and clean the glass the way you suggest.
Don't recognise people?
Mike's face blindness blog

Paul Coleman

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 09:54:46 pm »
Good tip Fast One,Shiner,I have found the Swivelloc handle which has 7 positions and angles from zero to a 30 degree angle and the sc channel - is that what you mean?

Actually this has opened me eyes a little cos I do the glass on a few conservatories but not the roofs so if I get the poles etc I can offer another service and inc. me earning potential.Brilliant.(Have picked up on another thread the conservatory roof possibility)

The swiv loc does have 7 fixed positions but that is not what I actually meant by zero degree angle.
If you look at a squeegee from the end of the channel (cross - section), you will see that they are all angled at about 30 degrees.  With the zero degree one, if the handle is pointing directly to the ground, the channel and rubber are pointing straight up.  It's a very useful gadget (though not one that I needed much) in certain situations because if you use a standard 30 degreer where zero degree is needed, it will often leave liquid on a window.  I suppose you could just as easily call it a 180 degreer but zero seems to be the adopted name.

I think it is mentioned here but no picture

http://wintecs.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=11&products_id=545

I don't know if things have changed as I bought mine years ago but you used to need a brass channel to fit on the handle.  This means using end clips in the channel ends to hold the rubber.

captain lard

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2006, 05:35:34 pm »
Have one on order Shiner-thanks for the info.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2006, 05:55:19 pm »
Have one on order Shiner-thanks for the info.

When I was trad cleaning, those swivloc squeeges and swivloc applicator (+ the pole) were some of the best investments I made.  They allowed me to do things safely in situations where I may have taken a chance.
Just an additional note on this which may be irrelevant to you.  I found that as my body started realising its age, the wrist in which I held the applicator used to ache excessively.  I resolved this by using the swivloc applicator as my standard applicator (even when not using a pole).  This meant that the applicator was doing a lot of the bending that had previously been done by my wrist.  Result - wrist ache gone (no rude jokes please).