Mike 108

Beginner needs help, please.
« on: July 25, 2006, 03:03:29 pm »
Having recently begun to clean windows, I am being given windows that other window cleaners do not want (for whatever reason). Some bedroom windows are set back from the ground floor windows above a small tiled roof and the ladders can not be put at a safe angle to reach the windows.
Before WFP's how were these windows cleaned?
Is it possible to clean/squeegee/polish with an extending pole?
Thanks

captain lard

Re: Beginner needs help, please.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 03:14:00 pm »
Whoops,sorry mate just put a bit of a similair query up 'Unger unitec telescopic pole' but have just seen your question. My worry is with a pole application of water/soap isnt too much of a problem but am wondering a bit about how well we could squeegee then detail.Then again its surprising what a bit of practise can do,plus some of the windows I am thinking of on my round havent been cleaned in donkeys because of access problems so anything will be an improvement in that respect.
I realise wfp might well be the answer but at the minute dont want/cant consider that route and am trying,like you,to find a trad answer.

Fast 1 *

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 03:14:47 pm »
Only take this advice if you are confident in the safe use of ladders.If they are set back on a sloping tiled roof,using a good,strong set of pointers,position them so they are sitting on the tiles,using your van to support the bottoms,or someone footing the ladder.If using this technique,use your common sense and be careful.If you dont feel confident,DONT DO IT.Failing that,clean them from inside the house.If they are just too awkward,dont bother.Also,are you insured?
wildstyles

captain lard

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 03:32:02 pm »
I have insurance,have a job on Thursday where access to 3 windows above a garage are a bit awkward cos of a protruding porch like roof.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 03:44:00 pm »
I have insurance,have a job on Thursday where access to 3 windows above a garage are a bit awkward cos of a protruding porch like roof.

As you have no WFP, use something like an Unger Teleplus pole with handtools on the end.  It may not be as good a job as reaching it by hand but it's better than no job and at least you will be safe.  If they are used to this window not being cleaned, they should be happy - especially if you pre-warn them of a possible quality issue.

captain lard

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 03:55:37 pm »
Thanks Shiner - have a thread about a telescopic pole on the go.I have told the lady there might be a problem and quoted 2 prices,one if I can reach and one if I cant,if I cant I can talk to her about using a pole and see what she thinks.Agree with you though that for some of these windows anything is better than just letting them sit filthy.Upsets me to leave them.

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 04:12:03 pm »
Having recently begun to clean windows, I am being given windows that other window cleaners do not want (for whatever reason). Some bedroom windows are set back from the ground floor windows above a small tiled roof and the ladders can not be put at a safe angle to reach the windows.

Thanks

Mike,

When I first started; not too long ago; I ended up with a whole weeks work of difficult houses in one area, as in difficult to do with ladders.  Awkward access everywhere.

Some of my customers told me that they'd had about three different window cleaners in three years, because they'd come for a few weeks; then not return.

I almost binned the lot of them, but instead I raised the prices to reflect the difficulty involved; even though each property isn't any bigger than a standard 3-bed semi.  For example, one lady I charged £10 when I was charging £5.00 for a semi at the time (I know I know, I was cheap).

Anyway, I'd soldier on with these properties - price them well - and aim to go WFP as soon as possible.

Then these 'nightmares' may well become the most lucrative part of your round.

Don't do anything dangerous though.  Give each window your 'best effort', but don't fanny round too much and if it can't be done safely, then it can't be done.

Lee.

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 04:13:33 pm »
I know some on this forum use a telescopic pole with Ettore backflip or unger vise versa. I was just about to go down that route myself before I got wfp. I haven't used the back flip but I can see how it would help.

heres a site that will show you what it is if you dont already know
http://www.soapnational.co.uk/acatalog/Squeegees_Ettore.html

Hope this helps

Lee

captain lard

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2006, 04:23:51 pm »
The back flip and vice versa look interesting,I presume you could use these on an ordinary window,would simplify the clean in some ways.
Opens up the option of offering cleans for conservatory roofs as well.

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2006, 04:32:15 pm »
Have a look for the Unger swivel loc also.  Ian_Giles (a mod and experienced window cleaner) thinks they're great for using on the end of a pole.

You can adjust the squeegie angle in relation to the handle so you can 'cut up' to the corner of a window and squeegie across, when using it on the end of a pole.

I haven't used one mind!

Mike 108

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2006, 06:58:00 pm »
Thanks guys.
As I haven't got enough work (or confidence) yet to go for the WFP system, I think I'll try the Unger Vice Verce on an extending pole. Like several people have said - whilst it may not be perfect, its better than a completly filthy window (and the occupier should appreciate that). Cheers.

Mike George

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2006, 09:30:57 pm »
I've only been going a few months and I'm building my round up from scratch, so I've got a few of these.

If they're leaded I don't do them. If they're plain glass I use an ordinary applicator and squeegee on a pole.

If they are very dirty they take a lot of repeat washing and squeegeeing to get a reasonable finish.

A few of them (mostly where I need to use the full 3 metres) do look worse than before, and the customers have agreed I should leave them.

I find I get better results if I can put a ladder up to one side of them and work sideways, if you see what I mean.

And I don't do them at all in the hot sunshine because I can't work quick enough!
Don't recognise people?
Mike's face blindness blog

Paul Coleman

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2006, 09:38:11 pm »
Thanks Shiner - have a thread about a telescopic pole on the go.I have told the lady there might be a problem and quoted 2 prices,one if I can reach and one if I cant,if I cant I can talk to her about using a pole and see what she thinks.Agree with you though that for some of these windows anything is better than just letting them sit filthy.Upsets me to leave them.

Charge extra for such windows too as they are more messing about.

david68

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2006, 09:59:46 am »
Hi
I use a extension pole for the same reason.
I have just started cleaning, my customers like the pole idea because they do get some attention to that difficult window.
It does take me twice as long than reaching by hand.

Dave
David

www.ccwin.co.uk

My learning hobby
www.dbritweb.com

007 or what

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2006, 03:58:32 pm »
where are you based Mike 108?

Mike 108

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2006, 05:23:15 pm »
Hi 007.
I live in Fleetwood, Lancashire (just down the coast from Blackpool).
Mike

Majestic

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2006, 05:34:51 pm »
Snap.
So do I
I am doing a job  tonight on Dock st at 6 . Its a WFP job above Bernie Athertons carpet shop. I will be there for about 40 mins Call round and we can have a chat. Or e mail me .
John

Londoner

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2006, 06:23:20 pm »
I may be over simplifying this but why can't you just ask if you can clean them from inside? Most windows can be done even if its a bit of a game with a pole etc

Mark M

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2006, 06:46:09 pm »
Before I switched to WFP, i used an unger pole with the attachments on the end. I found the trick was to use a lot of water, blade of quickly, then very quick detailing.
With a bit of practice you can do just as good a job as being up close, even in the hot weather, but you do need to be quick

Mark

Mike 108

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2006, 07:12:13 pm »
Thanks, everyone for all the replies.
To: John Garnett - I have emailed you as you suggested. Thanks