Hi all,

I know one or two or three of you may have thought I was harsh with a supplier who regularly posts on this forum, but I felt I had good reason for doing so.

I've heard at first hand, a fair amount of negative feedback, read similar posts (some of which I deleted when I was a mod).  I've also recently had four e-mails from unhappy customers of this certain supplier.

This was probably the best one:

Tosh.

I read your posts on the [name deleted to protect supplier] trolley and they were all true, 3 of us have purchased these in the last 12 months and each one of us think theyre sh.te and all use them as ornaments now and infact mine just gets used to store my sprays and cleaning agents on.

Mine even arrived with a major defect and still has it as [Name deleted to protect supplier] never sent me replacement parts and I never chased it to much because if I had to wait as long for the parts as I did fof the trolley to arrive I,d be an old man.

At the end of the day all I have achieved in purchasing one is wasting a load of hard earned cash, I never submitted this to the forum as it would have been deleted straight away because you cant say anything or criticise suppliers on this forum but they can advertise and sell equipment without question.

Like you say backpacks are miles more use than any trolley system when your doing domestic work and if any of your pals down there want to buy one theres 3 up here for sale and they are a lot cheaper than anywhere else and are all like new still.

That’s my rant over anyway Tosh I,m going to go and enjoy whats left of the weekend now have a good day mate doing whatever your doing.

So, my question is, if you purchase goods from a supplier and they are not fit for the purpose you intended them for; how do you go about getting your money back and what - in law - can back you up if they refuse?

Is this too much of a grey area?

Roy Harding

I think someone with a legal back ground needs to answer this one.

No I wont put what I was going to say, I can  see your face now Tosh. ;D ;D

Roy

DASERVICES

If the goods advertised do not meet the standards as advertised then yes,
  this is false advertising. Next step Trading Standards.

If the goods advertised meet the standards but not your requirements
  then if they are a good supplier, they would take the stuff back as
  they know they can sell it on.

Hope that makes sense.

Doug

dai

under the sale of goods act any item sold must be fit for the purpose for which it was sold. If any goods fail to meet this requirement, you are entitled to have a refund. I'm sure the supplier of whatever system you bought would be aware of this.
If you can't get satisfaction from them, then your only recourse is trading standards.
Dai

steve m

if theres this much grief over a product, dont you think we should be made aware of it

So,

Judging by my previous posts in another thread, and this e-mail, do you think the person who sent me it has any 'right' to get a refund?

if theres this much grief over a product, dont you think we should be made aware of it

Read my back-posts; ignore my 'off topic' ones. ;)

So,

Judging by my previous posts in another thread, and this e-mail, do you think the person who sent me it has any 'right' to get a refund?

What do you reckon?

pylofm

Tosh...Sometimes products do arrive not as they should....Do you not think it wise to contact the supplier and try to 'battle it out'?, the quote in your message does'nt seem to reflect this...I may well be wrong.

Just leaving it as is does'nt seem the most sensible choice but then again life is all about choices is'nt it?

Cheers
Dave.

matt

tosh

i will speak to my bro tomorrow on this, he will point you in the right direction

its his graduation in some law degree or something (its his 3rd, his last was his law masters)

forums are strange places, the sellers push there wares, we all know of suppliers who give freebies to certain forum member to "sing praises of the said supplier"

BUT

us consumers arent allowed to Criticize products

seems to be the case of having the cake AND eating it

rosskesava

Don't forget that when you buy it is important to state what you intend to use the item for and to ask is it suitable for that purpose?

Problem is in a dispute is that it is your word against theirs but from experience with the small claims courts, the court goes by what is reasonable.

A lot don't know how simple and easy the small claims court proceedure is and even more don't know just how many company's hate being summoned to one.

pylofm

I have to admit that I have ordered a [name deleted to protect supplier] trolley and was very suprised that [name deleted to protect supplier] person took the time to call me in Holland for aprox 40 minutes and ask many questions about what I thought my use's and application of their product would be etc.

I have not had many do that when I was thinking about a purchase, this I think is encouraging.

However the final choice is for the purchaser to decide if they 'believe' the product will work for them, a choice I have had to make. Granted if the product fails to meet is abilty to perform as it should or is defective....Then yes I will contact the supplier and try to resolve what issues there may be.

And no I am not taking a 'kick back' to write this.

Thats me done...cheers all and goodnight :)

matt

the best supplier is yourself

incase people didnt know, a DIY WFP site exists

if you build if yourself, you know what the parts do etc etc

rosskesava

Matt

You are unstoppable when it comes to plugging your website. I think it's great and thanks for the cheque except you forgot a few noughts.

Seriously though, I thoroughly endorse your website having built our system by using it.

Going back to being not happy with a purchase, I was disgusted recently with the failure of clamps on a wfp pole. I contacted the supplier, they claimed misuse, I asked them if they were there when the pole was being used, and so it went backwards and forwards for a month or two.

I kept records of every phone call, every letter, etc.

I then gave them 28 days to resolve the issue to my satisfaction and sent the letter by recorded delivery along with a completed small claims court form to show I was serious about sorting the problem out.

2 days later there was a knock on my front door and there was a courier with a brand new wfp pole.

It's important to know how to complain correctly and for that, the Trading Standards people are brilliant.

I'd try them first and follow their advise.

AuRavelling79

....... a completed small claims court form to show I was serious about sorting the problem out.

In a previous business life when we were chasing money I used this on a tardy solicitor and had a cheque by return!
It's a game of three halves!

abacus

HI all
well done ross if its the same company I think it you have done well.

People in general dont like to complain about faulty goods and or dont have the time a lot of companies rely on this so its important to press on till you get satisfaction.

Im not sure I agee with foxman that if you sell on forums your not as trust worthy as the bigger companies from experience I tell you that some of them are the worst  for being dogmatic with an attitude that all failing are down to customer missuse and  some have more flannel that debenhams

regards grant
A service you can count on
SAFEcontractor approved

No I wont put what I was going to say, I can  see your face now Tosh. ;D ;D

Roy

Roy,

Go on, put what you were going to say... I'd love to have read it.

But, Roy, I haven't put this post up maliciously; I honestly think this forum is great, and have made many friends (in real life too) because of it; and have gained quite a bit of work from here also.

One of the reasons I declined as a 'mod' was because sometimes I wanted to be a little 'blunter' than what my 'job spec' allowed me to do.

And when I saw something that was 'not cricket', such as the 'Go Anywhere' trolley and when I knew a bit about it; it was difficult to be neutral about the thing and keep my mouth shut.

So no victories; just honest warnings.  There's loads of good companies out there.

Also, someone e-mailed me asking me advice about van-mounted systems and where to purchase.  I pointed them in yours and Ian's direction for further information; since I'm no-where near van-mounted yet.  

I hope you advise him well.  I said you were both really helpfull guys!!!

(Also, when Roy says he 'can see my face now  ;D), it's because I actually do look like the smiley in real life; due to my slanty-Japanese-eyes; honest.)

Roy's a git!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

supernova77

Tosh,

I've been using the [name deleted to protect supplier] trolley for 6 months and I haven't had any problems with it.

The purpose of the [name deleted to protect supplier] trolley is to clean windows, and it does that fine... So how on earth can you complain about it?

You really seem to have a bee in your bonnet over it!

Andy

Tosh,

I've been using the [name deleted to protect supplier] trolley for 6 months and I haven't had any problems with it.

The purpose of the [name deleted to protect supplier] trolley is to clean windows, and it does that fine... So how on earth can you complain about it?

You really seem to have a bee in your bonnet over it!

Andy

Andy,

If you like, I'll forward to  you the e-mails I've received, but the one I put in my initial post just about sums it up in general terms, but to see my point by point critsisms, you'll have to check out my previous posts.

I have no doubt that the trolley in question is suitable for certain members; it's the selling to members - despite what the seller says - who it's not suitable for, that bugs me.

And the anecdotal evidence I'm recieving is that it's just not a one off; it's many of them.

supernova77

But you're whole argument is that its not fit for its purpose.

Its purpose is a tool to clean windows with, and it does that fine!

Andy