scrimit2

working two or three days a week
« on: July 23, 2006, 02:44:51 pm »
most WC's near me only work 2 or 3 days a week, they are always on time and therefore always come back to cleaner windows, they seem to only do the cream of the work, turning away anything that doesnt fit into plan. and fair play to them.

it seems to me that all this time Ive been doing things wrong, I set out with the mentality to build a round and work as hard as I can 5 days a week, but the draw backs are when it rains, I cant catch up and fall further and further behind, therefore coming back to dirtier windows to clean.

does anyone work just the 2 or 3 days a week? and what are the plus's and minus's?
has anyone changed the way they work llike this? ie streamlined there round, cutting out all off the "just another houses" to make the round work for you.

supernova77

Re: working two or three days a week
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 02:51:52 pm »
I try to work 3 or 4 days a week as I then get time for paperwork etc... and of course you have a spare day to catch up on any work if you fall behind.

Andy

scrimit2

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 02:59:07 pm »
it does seem the way to go, I have a big round about 350 houses and even if i did 7 days a week (if the weather was ok) I would still stuggle, stupidly I thought every new job I took on, could only be a positive thing, and in a way it was as now I have choices, I believe that I could earn the same money over three days a week and getting my round done, as I do now 5 days a week and not getting my round done.

I will just have to be brave, and make it work for me.

ronaldo

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2006, 03:02:21 pm »
Scrimmit, why dont you stetch your round out to 5 weekly i had to do this and it sorted me out.
A bad days fishing is better than a good days work !

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2006, 03:06:53 pm »
I tend to work 2- 3 days a week and i do the same now, just do the cream.  I have staff for the other work and treat it as 2 rounds.

Dave

scrimit2

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2006, 03:07:52 pm »
Ronaldo, good idea, I think I will keep enough work, for that 5th week as a safety net, incase I lose some work, but I think I will give up around 100 houses, although the work is ok, I feel its more of a burden keeping me from getting to my best work on time. at the minute it can take me 8 weeks to get around and Im always apologising to customers. Im not enjoying it at the minute.

simbo

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2006, 03:15:04 pm »
most! would prefer 6 weeks anyway as its saving them money and people will pay better prices on longer gaps between cleans, whilst you cannot do this when starting out its prob a good idea in the long run, everyone happy
simb0

Paul Coleman

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2006, 04:14:29 pm »
most WC's near me only work 2 or 3 days a week, they are always on time and therefore always come back to cleaner windows, they seem to only do the cream of the work, turning away anything that doesnt fit into plan. and fair play to them.

it seems to me that all this time Ive been doing things wrong, I set out with the mentality to build a round and work as hard as I can 5 days a week, but the draw backs are when it rains, I cant catch up and fall further and further behind, therefore coming back to dirtier windows to clean.

does anyone work just the 2 or 3 days a week? and what are the plus's and minus's?
has anyone changed the way they work llike this? ie streamlined there round, cutting out all off the "just another houses" to make the round work for you.

I'm currently working a shorter week than before and started to unload the less profitable work/awkward customers etc.  I was going to do this after I had taken on better work but I found I never had the time to look for the better work because I was doing the poorer work.  Now I have a bit of time to get some better jobs.  I am now down to about 230 jobs.  At one time, I had about 350.  I earn nearly as much from the 230 as I did from the 350.  Now I can start building it up to around the 300 - 350 mark again but be more selective.  This may sound a bit disloyal but I learned some harsh lessons a few years ago when I was too ill to work for quite a while.  While some customers were OK, I found that for many people loyalty meant nothing.
In August, my goal is to get £600 worth of new work - hopefully per 6 weekly cycle and all of it is to be decent paid work.  It's a stiff target but very doable.

matt

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2006, 05:13:18 pm »
i work 3 days a week, only because i look after my little girl for the other 3 days while my wife does her job

next sept i will work 4 days a week and i wont know what to do with the money, i dont plan to work 5 days, BUT i guess greed will get the better of me on the odd occasion  :-[

4 days would be nice, as then i have a spare day for the weather

master cleaner

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2006, 06:49:09 pm »
we work 2 1/2 days a week and never fall behind also when winter comes it takes us 31/2 days to do the work but we can still pick and choose if we want to work monday or not.

gary

holland1945

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2006, 08:36:04 pm »
I currently work 4 days a week; as I'm only 6 months into my 'career' I can't yet drop the less profitable work as I have nothing to replace it with!!  As others have mentioned this leads to a slight dilemma, as I can't get out to canvas better work ... I'm too busy servicing the poor stuff.

But over the last couple of months, my speed, confidence and attitude has improved immensely, so my long-term plan is to work 3.5 days per week, on a 5 weekly cycle, hopefully earning 400 per week.

This leaves me with ample time to pursue more important goals than material wealth.

DASERVICES

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2006, 09:40:38 pm »

This leaves me with ample time to pursue more important goals than material wealth.

Like knocking on the doors, for more work  ;)

Roy Harding

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2006, 09:09:48 pm »
Two or Three days a week!!!

For the first time in many years, I have even had to work the last three saturdays and this one comming. As I have work coming allways.

Roy ::)

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2006, 09:18:32 pm »
Make your work fit your schedule, never the other way round.

Alex

Roy Harding

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2006, 09:31:02 pm »
Hi Alex

I took on more to give my son and daughter one day a week each to help them, with there other activity.  ;)

And they both went down to St Ives camping for two weeks with 25 friends, so holding fort.

Roy  :)

LSB

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2006, 05:02:48 pm »
I work 5 days and do paperwork eves and sat morn ! i do have staff aswell , but i never quite manage to get much time off as sick ( ? ) days , weather etc nearly always leave me covering or changing plans . ideally i need 1 or 2 more staff to gaurantee i get some time off , but that would also slightly shorten the working week for my existing staff , meaning the same money for me ( with hopefully less hours ) but less money for them as they are paid by the hour !   

Biscute

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2006, 08:22:24 pm »
Well i think if you have work everyday and seem to have trouble keeping u with paperwork and days ect, you should get someone in a few days a week as when it gets to winter its gona get a hole lots worse :-\
Dont argue with a retard, they will just pull you down to their level and beat you with experience.