paul mather

School quotation any ideas how much I should charge
« on: July 20, 2006, 10:49:38 am »
I have just come back from looking at a secondary school in warrington, wondered if any of you have any ideas what I should quote.

I have counted each piece of glass rather than per frame. So if a frame has a main window & an opener I have counted it as 2.

There is no 3 storey work but a few windows on flat roofs. There are 3 different types of window. About half are the original metal windows, a quarter have been upgraded probably 10 years ago(not sure what they are made of) & a quarter are UPVC coated.

There are approximately 650 pieces of glass & they want inside & out cleaning.

I will be using a WFP on the outsides but have only been using it a few days so I don't suppose I will make that much time up on that.
I am not desperate for the work, I have plenty but if I could get a good price then obviously that would great.

Oh by the way the outsides have a years dirt on them & the insides 1 or 2 years muck.

Any ideas. I can't afford the time to spend on an underpriced job so I would rather not get it than underprice it.
Thanks Paul
Use the wand of power !!

Warrington, Cheshire

Trevor Knight

Re: School quotation any ideas how much I should charge
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 11:24:49 am »
Hi Paul,

My suggestions are this.

£1.75 per window 2nd floor
£1.50 per window 1st floor
£1 per window ground floor.

I am working on a window with 2 panes of glass no bigger than 6ft x 5ft

When you arrive at a price add an extra 15% to the total value to take into consideration the extra time spent rinsing as the windows have a years worth of dirt and grime.

To clean the insides I would work out how many hours and charge your hourly rate.

You are in a nice position where you don't need the work but remember schools have to be cleaned and if in the winter you can do the job when its raining its nice wet weather work to have hold off?

Best of luck,

Trev
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

paul mather

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 11:48:44 am »
I asked the caretaker if it was a case of cheapest quote the winner. She said they had an occasion a year or 2 ago when £600 was quoted for the outside & half way through, the firm came back & asked for more money so she said they are a little warey of  cheap quotes.

So I suppose that gives me an idea what they consider a cheap price. I thought I might go in @ £1750. Based on an average of £1.25 a frame for 600 frames.

I have no idea how long insides will take so have just doubled it. What do you think?
Use the wand of power !!

Warrington, Cheshire

Trevor Knight

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 12:23:39 pm »
Hi Paul,

Do you have any photo's as £1750 seems expensive and I don't think schools have that sort of budgets for window cleaning, although I may be wrong?

As for insides, they will take a while as you will have to be careful with books etc on ledges.

Am a bit stuck on advice for you here Paul as I can't see the job your asking about and quoting blind is really difficult.

Best wishes,

Trev
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

gary evans

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 05:13:23 pm »
Paul

This sort of work is normally low paid compared to houses, i,m 60 miles from you m& know for a fact if we went in at £700.00 int/ext it would be to high.

I quoted £1200.00 for a school 2 1/2 times the size of that & was miles to expensive.
 Theres a contractor nearer to you i know would quote £300 to £400 max. Its a market you only do if you need the work or have employees, some of the prices people say are far to high.

Another school i went, i quoted £95.00 somebody was doing it for £25.00.

Theres an article on here to do with percentages cleaned thats the way most work on this sort of thing, we try do all but, charge a little bit more, then you have a good job. The main thing is it can pour down from start to finish & it would not stop you.

The moral is it can be good but it can also be bad.

P.S. We are doing 11 schools during hols. could not fit in anymore turned down some.

Gary

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 06:16:39 pm »
The price for Schools = £25 -£30 per man hour,

Do them at weekends or holidays.

paul mather

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2006, 06:38:11 pm »
I eventually quoted  £1475. I thought the job would probably take 5-7 days. Anyway no phone call today & think that they would have to make decision fairly quickly as the school closes today & the headmaster won't be around.

Cest la vie. Can't see point in taking on more work when it's no better pay.
Use the wand of power !!

Warrington, Cheshire

www.mrgutters.co.uk

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2006, 08:40:31 pm »
hi all

i do a school i charge 1500 for it takes us 4 days in and out 2 guys... the thing is it is hard work though. caretaker said the other company was 100 more than me but i was 700 more than the last guy who it took two weeks to do.

i quoted another school the other day 510.00 single story 1.5 days work by myself , never heard back

you win some you loose some..

shAWN
If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well.

RAHomeServices

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2006, 07:52:48 pm »
We clean several schools in the merseyside area and charge roughly £30 / hr average school 6-7 hrs outside wfp inside bladed pure water/GG3. average school £200 which just comes into their budjet - hope this helps.

scrimit2

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2006, 05:26:10 pm »
just add another point worth considering when pricing schools, is the level of public liability thet require, lately i quoted for a school i got the job but only if i had £5million liability, school i turned it down, as i have £1million liability and it wasnt worth my while to upgrade it as I would mean me cleaning the school to pay the extra.

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2006, 12:13:13 am »
Also most schools only have them cleaned once maybe twice a year due to their budget

AuRavelling79

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2006, 11:32:39 pm »

So I suppose that gives me an idea what they consider a cheap price. I thought I might go in @ £1750. Based on an average of £1.25 a frame for 600 frames.

I have no idea how long insides will take so have just doubled it. What do you think?

£1.25 x 600 = £750 not £1750

Then if you double it you get £1500, not £1750.
It's a game of three halves!

paul mather

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2006, 11:51:14 pm »
Yes thank you Malc I can use a calculator as well. If you read the advice it also said add on 15% because the windows will be so dirty.

Anyway went in @ £1475 & stll didn't get it by the looks.
Use the wand of power !!

Warrington, Cheshire

AuRavelling79

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2006, 07:31:49 am »
Yes thank you Malc I can use a calculator as well. If you read the advice it also said add on 15% because the windows will be so dirty.

Anyway went in @ £1475 & stll didn't get it by the looks.

:)
It's a game of three halves!