captain lard

Roof Rack Query
« on: July 19, 2006, 11:30:18 pm »
How do you fasten the ladder to the roof rack securley?? Am about to sort out a roof rack and suddenly wondered how you tie them down tight and safe?
Up till now all my customers have been walkable with me ladder slung over me shoulder though my father in law was talking of making me a push along cart which actually appealed to me cos I thought I could get my name and number on it and advertise myself!!

paul mather

Re: Roof Rack Query
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 11:33:32 pm »
I've always used the elasticated straps you get from diy shops or halfords. Just be careful taking them off. Someone I know lost their eye through it pinging off.
Use the wand of power !!

Warrington, Cheshire

abacus

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 11:41:39 pm »
HI
Ladder hooks are best you can padlock them at the end of the day keeps ladders safe                   and they dont ping off and hit you in the eye :D       halfors sell them  the fed sells them and a lot of supply outlets stock them

regards grant
A service you can count on
SAFEcontractor approved

AuRavelling79

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 11:44:11 pm »
Drill each roof bar and with thinnish nuts and bolts attach an upright length of metal (up to about a foot long) to them so that your ladders drop over the uprights. Adjust the roofbars distance from each other so that the rungs fit over the uprights fairly tightly but so that you can lift the ladders on and off easily.

Then use a bungee strap or two to hold the laddder in place.

When I was trad. I lost a ladder at 60 mph overtaking a lorry on a dual carriageway and cuz I had no uprights a bungee snapped and fly way ladder time. (Very lucky no damage or injuries)
It's a game of three halves!

captain lard

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 12:13:28 am »
Does anyone know a reasonable place to buy roof racks/bars from,found one on line doing Thule and its going to be £90 for my car - cant afford a van!!

Paul Coleman

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 06:49:05 am »
How do you fasten the ladder to the roof rack securley?? Am about to sort out a roof rack and suddenly wondered how you tie them down tight and safe?
Up till now all my customers have been walkable with me ladder slung over me shoulder though my father in law was talking of making me a push along cart which actually appealed to me cos I thought I could get my name and number on it and advertise myself!!

You can usually buy the fittings to stop a ladder sliding sideways. If you have Thule bars, I suggest the triangle pieces.  Also, if you go into Halfords (or similar), you can get quick release straps.  Tuck any surplus strap into the hole made by the rung.  A combination of stopping the sideways movement and the straps leaves a ladder secure and quick to take off while working.  To lock it on at night a ladder clamp or two with padlock(s) will do.  OK so you can't stop someone sawing breaking the padlocks or sawing through the clamps but it will deter someone who isn't prepared.

simbag

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 12:08:58 pm »
I use the locking ladder carrier, as shown here:

http://www.roofrackwarehouse.co.uk/roof_racks/load_accessories_prices_122.html

Same as what you're referring to I think Shiner?

There are obviously other variations, but I find the ladder carrier great for the car, and like it says, you can lock it overnight aswell.

Simon

jeff1

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2006, 11:37:26 pm »
HI
Ladder hooks are best you can padlock them at the end of the day keeps ladders safe                   
regards grant

I use the ladder hook, very safe and secure, take this advice.

sunshine windows

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2006, 11:07:28 am »
Bungee cords for short distances and proper ladder securing clamps when travelling on motorways and long distances.

Sunshine
To climb mount fuji you must first find a path
(Swindon, Wiltshire)

www.sunshinewindowcleaning.co.uk
www.sunshinesoftwashing.co.uk

Tim Morton

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2006, 06:59:24 pm »
Well ever since I was travelling in a friends car who's ladders were "secured" with bungee straps, as we were driving along the ladders were also moving from side to side. I vowed then to never use bungee straps to tie ladders down, they are not secure, they will stretch too easily and break too easily. I dread to think what'd happen if you had to stop suddenly. I've preferred to use 9mm rope, it doesnt stretch and it holds the ladders securely. I ALWAYS loop the rope through the rungs and roof rack as well.

On another note, I totally reccomend Thule roofracks, they are top class, they are an excellent fit to the car and dont damage the paintwork. Very high quality.

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe!!
Craigavon, N.Ireland

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2006, 08:22:37 pm »
ladder hooks for me but the ladder is staying  on the car more and more now so my A frame sits on top of the hooks and is held in place by a single bungie.
Sussex by the sea