Lee.

Best hose reel?
« on: July 19, 2006, 07:11:13 am »
What hose reel do you use? I have a hoxelock reel with a 100m of microbore and I struggle to reel the hose in. it seems to have warped in the hot weather but even before that I was out of breath :-[. can anyone recommend a decent hose reel?

Thanks in advance

Lee

billozz

Re: Best hose reel?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 08:08:37 am »
where did you buy it from, we had probs with the microbore hose expanding, we are on our 3rd reel at the moment and that has broken too. the hose expands and pushes the 2 halves of the reel apart. we have to run the hose out as far as we need and then connect up to the pump, if we connect up first the reel wont turn.
we bought ours from gardiner and they have been great in helping us out, but we still are having problems
there are more windows than window cleaners so lets help each other

jinky230

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 02:09:47 pm »
guys bought the hose reel from northern tools and the hose is 10mm braided I have had no problems with this type of hose I would recommend it to anyone

hose from peter fogwill
reel from northern tools it is 3/4 and you need to get a machine shop to make a reducer cost about £2.50 for reducer

jinky230

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 02:13:20 pm »
hose reel can be used as truckmount or trolley

Chris A

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 07:56:09 pm »
Claber for everything

Lee.

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 07:56:50 am »
Thanks billoz,
Mine is doing the exact same thing. It looks like the shape of things to come if I do not change my reels. Think I will go for something a bit stronger like Jinky'S

Thanks guys for your help

Lee ;)

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 05:06:26 pm »
Hozelock are great due to their lightness but if you want a solid easy to reel hose reel then these ones are very good.

but they are heavier, which is why I stick to the hozelocks despite their limitations. I've never had the problem you mention Billozz, do you reel them up under pressure or not?

Alex

Davie T

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 05:11:40 pm »
We use one identical to Alex's and have had no problems at all.   One poiont however is when you are bolting the sides together, buy and use a split washer as it comes apart if you do not use it.

billozz

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2006, 05:21:28 pm »
alex,
we have had this problem with all the reels we have had from you, we are unable to reel the up or unreel themunder pressure because the two halves of the reels have been pushed aprt. cosequently we have to run the hose out first, as much as we think we need and then attach the feed from the pump. another problem we have had with them is that if you attach the reel to the pump and then run it out as soon as the reel starts to turn the connection from the pump comes off. we even went to hoselock and bought some new connectors that go through the middle of the reel but this still happens.
we appreciate the fact that you supplied a new reel foc but the same thing is happening to the new one, to be honest we are baffled as to what we can do, all these pronblems are actually undoing all the good things that we feel about wfp

paul mather

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2006, 07:46:20 pm »
I had a bit of a problem with a hozelock reel. By the time I got to wind in say the last 5 metres it would be too large for the reel & it would start to slip over the side & jam inbetween the reel & the handle. Spoke to Kirsty who advised me to unreel the whole thing & wind it back up very carefully making sure I didn't overlap.

Bingo, jobs a gud un.
Use the wand of power !!

Warrington, Cheshire

www.mrgutters.co.uk

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2006, 08:00:26 pm »
hi all

i have a problem with my hose reel.. all the fittings in my van ( hozelock )leek and also the hoselock that connects to the hose pops off under pressure when ever i pull the hose on the reel... and then my van floods

anyone have this problem

shawn
If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well.

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2006, 08:14:59 pm »
Shawn

How long have you had the connectors?

I ask because after a period they always wear and start to leak/pop-off.

We always have a few with us and just replace as and when needed. We treat them as consumables.

Cheers

Andrew

www.mrgutters.co.uk

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2006, 08:31:59 pm »
not too long 6 months ... they are just so annoying.. will a variflow make a difference

shawn

Tim Morton

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2006, 09:11:30 pm »
not too long 6 months ... they are just so annoying.. will a variflow make a difference

I can tell you that 5-6 months is about par for the course, I've just had one go on my system, it's just 5 months old. I'm gonna try the brass type when I've used up my stock of spares.

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe!!
Craigavon, N.Ireland

macc

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2006, 09:28:11 pm »

I can tell you that 5-6 months is about par for the course, I've just had one go on my system, it's just 5 months old. I'm gonna try the brass type when I've used up my stock of spares.

Tim

Tim. I use air line connections. They are great & last ages, no leaks or popping.

Macc

Tim Morton

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2006, 09:31:58 pm »

Tim. I use air line connections. They are great & last ages, no leaks or popping.

Macc
I'll give them a try, thanks Macc

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe!!
Craigavon, N.Ireland

macc

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2006, 09:44:20 pm »
Tim.

The tales on the connections come in different sizes, so tell them your bore size when you get them, also i dont use jubilee clips, i use them brass rings you crimp on with pinsers, cost pence & you wont catch your hands on them. Glad to help.  ;D

Macc

www.mrgutters.co.uk

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2006, 10:23:04 pm »
hi mate can you put a pic of the ones you use ?

shawn

macc

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2006, 10:46:51 pm »

shawn

Hi Shawn.

Im picking my kids here tomorrow so i will borrow my camera ::) & post it tomorrow. Failing that, ill buy myself another one.  ;D.

Kids :'(. But i love em.  ;D

Macc

www.mrgutters.co.uk

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2006, 10:48:18 pm »
thanks mate..

shawn ;D

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2006, 10:34:23 am »
Hi Billozz,

your problem is most puzzling, we have never had this ourselves ever!

I can't think why it is doing this!

Hundreds of WC are using this hose and reels and don't have this problem!

I'm stumped :(  ( I will keep thinking on it I promise)

I think in your situation a switch to metal reel , even if it is heavier, may be the only solution.

EasyClean

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2006, 05:53:52 am »
Just a suggestion; I have repaced all the hose from my tank leading up to the hosereel in my van with 'Poly Plumb' (plumbers fittings) for 3 reasons; 1. I use a thermo-WFP system so I can insulate my pipes with proper pipe foam insulation as it retains the heat and has more flex in winter when things ice up and split. 2. The water flow is greater so you can reduce the pressure and allieviate some of the problems like connectors coming off or apart because of the build up in pressure from the pump. (It's like a bicycle chain, it's only as strong as the weakest link). 3. It's maintenance free, fit it and forget it!
Losing a customer is like waiting for the next bus, another one will come along shortly!

macc

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2006, 12:10:39 am »

shawn

Hi Shawn. Sorry for delay. Done a new post with picture called microbore connections.

Macc

billozz

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2006, 08:14:33 pm »
shawn,
yes we have exactly the same problem with the connectors popping off the reels as soon as you move the hose, we have even been to hoselock and bought new ones and still the same problem so andrews suggestion of age isnt correct.

macc,
would be interested to look at the air connectors you use is there a website i could look at......do they supply the size to connec tonto the hose reel as that is the one shawn and ia would need to solve our problem

www.mrgutters.co.uk

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2006, 08:39:36 pm »
yeah its annoying as i am same 100m from the van and this happens ... you got to get down from where ever you are then by the time you get there its wasted 30-40 ltrs ... right pain

shawn

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2006, 09:08:38 pm »
It may well be that the male connector on the side of the hose reel has worn, these do need renewing every so often.

If you cannot get them elsewhere, I think that we have some in stock.

Alex

macc

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2006, 09:43:11 pm »
yeah its annoying as i am same 100m from the van and this happens ... you got to get down from where ever you are then by the time you get there its wasted 30-40 ltrs ... right pain

shawn

Did you see pics Shawn, have not had 1 pop off yet with these.  ;D