nathankaye

Taking images from Google searches
« on: May 08, 2019, 09:28:50 am »
What is the law or consensus on using images found on Google images, which are in the public domain.
Am I right in saying, that if its in the public domain then a person can use them and freely do so?

I was searching for a window clean or cleaning, domestic houses in the hope of finding a trad cleaner standing on a roof of some sort, cleaning windows.
Well, I found one and blemished out the face and edited to suit the picture below for advertisement purposes.  Legally is this sound, I believe it is butt at doesn't mean it is, lol

facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

chris turner

Re: Taking images from Google searches
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 10:58:39 am »
All I know is if I was that guy on the roof and I came across your website with this image on, I would probably come round your house and lay the smack down.

The simplest way to avoid any issues would be to use your own images, ie climb on a roof yourself and get someone to take a picture of you risking your life for £3.50. Don't make someone you don't even know look foolish on your website or it could easily come back and bite ya.

Stoots

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 11:29:36 am »
I think taking images without consent is illegal

However loads do it and worst case scenario really is you get asked to take it down.

I would just do it. I have done and dont really care tbh.

However of course it's better to use your own images anyway

chris turner

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 11:51:44 am »
In this case though nathan is undermining this guy by stating that what he is doing is wrong. Its alot different to simply "borrowing" someone else's image of a decent con roof clean to promote your business.

Put it this way nathan, I have seen some of your videos of you working which, frankly I think are a bit naff.
If was to take one of your videos, blot out your face and NK services and use the video on my website with the wording, "This is how NOT to clean windows with wfp", would you be happy about that?

nathankaye

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 01:59:20 pm »
In this case though nathan is undermining this guy by stating that what he is doing is wrong. Its alot different to simply "borrowing" someone else's image of a decent con roof clean to promote your business.

Put it this way nathan, I have seen some of your videos of you working which, frankly I think are a bit naff.
If was to take one of your videos, blot out your face and NK services and use the video on my website with the wording, "This is how NOT to clean windows with wfp", would you be happy about that?

Haha I agree, my vids are very amateurish and it doesn't show quite what I want it to. This is because it's spontaneous and I ain't investing heavily into it nor taking valuable time doing so, as I ain't go na get no sponsorship or freebies to try 😭😭 (crying emojis)  so, my response my not be what you think!

In this case, the dude is faded out and so not identified., nor is his company. The wording which would go with the photo would clearly state that there's no walking on tiles to clean your windows.  It highlights the difference between trad and wfp.   Not directly saying what the chap is doing is wrong.

Also, the picture is in the public domain, that's why you can take pictures of celebrities or whoever when they are out and about in public. Even take pictures or record the police etc etc.  Or why you get meme's in various forms.

So unlike a baffoon going round to someone's house to assault which can be prosecuted against, it would appear to be legal from that angle. 
However, I suppose I could climb on someone's roof  and walk across it, simply for a photo shoot. So that's worth considering
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

p1w1

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 04:55:29 pm »
Personally i would just have " I dont walk on roofs or tiles" no need for pictures to show this

deeege

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 05:12:09 pm »
Taking images from the internet and using them for your own is image theft.

For all the time you spend on here posting  pointless threads, you could spend half an hour taking your own images.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

Ooooooog

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 05:23:25 pm »
It’s very negative. Talk about what you can do, not what you don’t.

Perfect Windows

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2019, 05:43:12 pm »
What is the law or consensus on using images found on Google images, which are in the public domain.
Am I right in saying, that if its in the public domain then a person can use them and freely do so?

I was searching for a window clean or cleaning, domestic houses in the hope of finding a trad cleaner standing on a roof of some sort, cleaning windows.
Well, I found one and blemished out the face and edited to suit the picture below for advertisement purposes.  Legally is this sound, I believe it is butt at doesn't mean it is, lol

Nathan,

That picture's not from Google Earth. It's an Alamy stock photo with the watermarks airbrushed out (you can see it in the blurring around his forearm). This one: http://tinyurl.com/y4d2qbyo

Two things:

1. It's slightly odd to claim that you personally found something on Google Earth that isn't from Google Earth.

2. Alamy will sue you to smithereens if they find you using their image without paying for it.

Look for "stock images  window cleaner on roof" (it was while checking that in an effort to help that I found the image above - I don't have them all memorised), find one you like, pay the image company the money for the right to use it then use it with a clear conscience.

Vin

nathankaye

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2019, 05:49:01 pm »

Nathan,

That picture's not from Google Earth. It's an Alamy stock photo with the watermarks airbrushed out (you can see it in the blurring around his forearm). This one: http://tinyurl.com/y4d2qbyo

Two things:

1. It's slightly odd to claim that you personally found something on Google Earth that isn't from Google Earth.

2. Alamy will sue you to smithereens if they find you using their image without paying for it.

Look for "stock images  window cleaner on roof" (it was while checking that that I found the image above - I don't have them all memorised), find one you like, pay the image company the money for the right to use it then use it with a clear conscience.

Vin

Didn't say anything about Google earth vin.
I said Google images, as in you type into Google and click images.

Then as I put iin my thread, edited to suit.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

robbo333

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2019, 05:50:08 pm »
Nathan
1. Always take your own pics.
2. Never use 'negative' images, or text on any ad material (already been said above).
3. If it were me I would put a caption under your conny pic of something like:
'Hard-to-reach, or awkward windows can be cleaned properly and safely from the ground'
or 'Hard-to-reach windows are no problem', depending on your audience.
4. Bin the negative pic and use the space for another 'positive' image.
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

nathankaye

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2019, 05:51:08 pm »
Didn't know you could do that either, as in pay to use an image, I'll look into that as well
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Perfect Windows

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2019, 05:53:25 pm »

Nathan,

Two things:

Look for "stock images  window cleaner on roof" (it was while checking that that I found the image above - I don't have them all memorised), find one you like, pay the image company the money for the right to use it then use it with a clear conscience.

Vin

Didn't say anything about Google earth vin.
I said Google images, as in you type into Google and click images.

Then as I put iin my thread, edited to suit.

You're right, my misread. Sorry.

You cannot steal images. Their business model have two prongs. 1. charging licence fees, 2. Crawling images on the web and charging punitive fees for unauthorised use.

Don't use it without paying for it.

Vin

Perfect Windows

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2019, 05:54:11 pm »
Didn't know you could do that either, as in pay to use an image, I'll look into that as well

Prices are on the page I linked to.  Other, cheaper companies are around.

Vin

robbo333

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2019, 05:55:16 pm »

All the stock image companies charge a fee (that's how they make their living) but most pics are American and quite expensive.
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

Smudger

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2019, 06:21:59 pm »

I have to say NK - your  complete Kn@b - and I don't say that lightly - your post is deliberately misleading - the image is clearly copyrighted - yet you claim its public

Instead of doing negative rubbish - try promoting yourself in a positive manner ( and without putting others down )
Never diss another cleaner - I bet your the sort just itching to tell a prospective customer that all the other sh!ners are useless compared to you

Good on Vin for spotting and showing you up

My advice to you is try and be honest rather and devious

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

p1w1

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2019, 07:52:08 pm »
This sort of stuff was done 15 years ago when wfp was fairly new  and a way of showing the benefits over traditional methods as it was all new to the general public, nowadays nearly most window cleaners use this system and 99% of customers are aware of it so its all irrelevant anymore.
Try focusing on getting phone numbers right etc on your cards instead of this outdated rubbish  ;D

zesty

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2019, 09:00:14 pm »
Nathan, I really don’t see why this even needs to be on your website. (Or wherever your putting it)

It’s completely unnecessary.

I get the feeling you can’t sit still and always need to be tinkering with anything windows related.

I wouldn’t even dream of putting that sort of thing on my website. Customers for the most part don’t care. They just assume you’ll clean their windows in an appropriate manner.

Maybe just stop creating problems that don’t really exist. If a customer is concerned about how a window cleaner will clean over lean to’s and roofs, I’m sure they’ll just ask.

nathankaye

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2019, 09:36:33 pm »

I have to say NK - your  complete Kn@b - and I don't say that lightly - your post is deliberately misleading - the image is clearly copyrighted - yet you claim its public

Instead of doing negative rubbish - try promoting yourself in a positive manner ( and without putting others down )
Never diss another cleaner - I bet your the sort just itching to tell a prospective customer that all the other sh!ners are useless compared to you

Good on Vin for spotting and showing you up

My advice to you is try and be honest rather and devious

Darran

Again Darren, it came up on a search, so the picture is in the public domain, regardless what an individual may want to write on it or not. Anything in the public domain is simply that!
I showed a picture of someone standing on a roof to clean compared to not doing so.   I didn't show any text that I would use, as that wasn't my question on here was it!

It's amazing how much crap can be drawn from you guys for a simple question being asked.  I haven't used this, as stated in my opening post. It simpky asked what was the legalities of taking pictures found on the Internet and using for your own personal use.
Feel free, but I'm sure most have already (poor souls) look through my website or Facebook page and see if I slag others off to highlight myself.   I'm sorry, but that sounds like quite a lot of individuals who frequent this forum!
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Perfect Windows

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2019, 10:53:59 pm »
Oh, for heaven's sake. Do what you want. Use copyrighted images and claim that because they are on the internet they're in the public domain. You'll be fine.

https://www.out-law.com/page-10367

Vin

deeege

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2019, 05:56:51 am »
“It’s in the public domain”

Can you really be that naive to think that because an image shows up on a google search its fair game to use that image on your own website/leaflet?  Jesus wept.

"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."