paul alan

spruce! advice please
« on: February 06, 2018, 08:41:05 pm »
Hi Spruce,

With regards my previous battery thread, you mentioned something about regular intelligent chargers not being adequate for my new battery.

What type of charger would you recommend please?

Spruce

Re: spruce! advice please
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 09:12:46 pm »
Would this suffice?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ABSAAR-Heavy-Duty-Battery-Starter-Charger-12-Volt-20-Amp-with-180-Amp-Boost/192447683179?hash=item2ccec69a6b:g:1HQAAOSwicpaeF5q

I wouldn't bother with this tbh.  Its just an old glorified workshop starter battery charger. All starter battery chargers aren't designed to charge a starter battery to its optimum. As long as it puts enough charge into the battery to start the vehicle, that's all thats needed. The average repair workshop won't care if they just charge a battery to 50 or 60% charged. All they are interested in is getting the car started, getting paid and sending the driver on his way.

I would certainly check with the company you bought it from and ask them for their charger recommendations. Perhaps tell them what charger you are currently using.

The peak bulk charge is higher than a vans alternator pushes old (pre smart alternators) and much higher than the 13.9 volts my Numax charger delivers. They do say that the battery is 100% charged at 12.8 volts so it could be that a standard intelligent charger will work - but I would want to make sure. If your charger isn't completing the job of fully charging the battery, the battery won't last as long.

If you take 50 amps out of your battery a day, then thats going to take the best part of 8 or 9 hours to recharge it with a 10 amp charger. If you only recharge every second night, then you my find your charger hasn't fully recharged your battery the next morning.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

paul alan

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 09:24:26 pm »
Thank you!

I am just looking around to see what I can find out.

They did say that I can cycle this battery below 50% without issue and they would be happy to give me a warranty even though I use it for window cleaning.

My charger is only 4a so I think that would be 10 hours charge = 40amps??

I think I may be better with a 10a or 20a charger to bring down charging times and just charge every other day if light usage (approx. 40a) or each night after heavy usage(approx. 50a).

I will call the supplier tomorrow to see what the specs are. Although they did offer me one for it at £130+ so I would rather not after having shelled out today, unless absolutely necessary.

dazmond

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 09:21:36 am »
the decent smart battery chargers(20amp ones) are over £100 mate.....mine was.....
price higher/work harder!

paul alan

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 09:43:56 am »
yeah been looking around last night, will last for years though so worth it

Spruce

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 07:15:10 pm »
Thank you!

I am just looking around to see what I can find out.

They did say that I can cycle this battery below 50% without issue and they would be happy to give me a warranty even though I use it for window cleaning.

My charger is only 4a so I think that would be 10 hours charge = 40amps??

I think I may be better with a 10a or 20a charger to bring down charging times and just charge every other day if light usage (approx. 40a) or each night after heavy usage(approx. 50a).

I will call the supplier tomorrow to see what the specs are. Although they did offer me one for it at £130+ so I would rather not after having shelled out today, unless absolutely necessary.

That 4 amp charger is way too small.

If you look at the charging graph of a lead acid battery you will see that when the battery is low on charge it will accept a fast charge.  As the battery's charge get towards a higher charge it accepts a lower rate of charge.

So your example of taking 10 hours to replace 40 amps with a 4 amp charger isn't correct. When the battery gets near full charge the amps drop. So your charger may only be returning 2 amps or less at some point. What this means is that it could take 12 to 15 hours to replace that 40 amp. If you are only putting the charger on charge every second night then you will never get on top of fully charging your battery.

paul alan

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 08:40:10 pm »
Every night charge till new charger it is then.

Thanks for your help spruce.

Spruce

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 08:42:34 pm »
Every night charge till new charger it is then.

Thanks for your help spruce.

What charger did they recommend you get?

I think my 10 amp Numax is suitable for batteries up to 135amp.

paul alan

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 09:02:26 pm »
I cant remember I think he just spouted off some model numbers,  but I do remember the £133 odd and my thought's went straight to " where I could get a cheaper one" .

It went from 12.4 to 12.2 over the course of todays work, not sure what that mean's but I'll pop the charger on when I go out to fill up.

It'll get 12 hours.

I'll think about a charger when I have sorted this bleeding low pressure issue on the pump.

I love DIY....when it goes right!