colin bird

web site work
« on: February 06, 2018, 02:40:21 pm »
how much work do you gain from your web site,regulars and one offs,is a web site worth the cost ?

Cookie

Re: web site work
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 02:59:23 pm »
Not a lot to be honest. The vast majority of new work comes from walk-ups & recommendations. However I do live in an area where most of my customers are OAPs and many of them are not internet-savvy.

If it wasn't for the fact that my website is on my business cards and van signage I would probably drop the website, however at £30 per year (with Mr Site) I'm not complaining ...

Smudger

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 03:06:55 pm »
I’ll try again

A web site by itself won’t do a lot have an active blog plus something little me adwords and some one who will target ‘hot’ words a phrases to get you up the rankings and it’s well worth it

The majority of our high value work comes in this way

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Cookie

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 03:15:00 pm »
I’ll try again

A web site by itself won’t do a lot have an active blog plus something little me adwords and some one who will target ‘hot’ words a phrases to get you up the rankings and it’s well worth it

The majority of our high value work comes in this way

Darran

Darran, I think your situation is different to mine. You employ and I believe you carry out more "one-off" jobs. I'm a sole trader & I don't have the time do do "one-offs" I'm busy enough keeping up to date with regular maintenance window cleaning. I guess if I tried hard enough I could get my website higher up the search engine rankings but to be honest I'm happy where I am.  :)

Smudger

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 03:18:04 pm »
Nothing wrong with that
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Marc Stock

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 03:20:17 pm »
To be honest there is little point in spending alot of time and money on your website if your fully booked. Just keep it as an information site.

In fact it can do the very opposite, too much work coming in and not enough time to do it will get you a bad reputation

Stoots

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 03:38:58 pm »
Not a great deal from mine also. I do rank almost at the top for a few keywords.
I'm better at seo than design though so maybe I am getting more visitors but not enough conversions. I'm not sure as I don't use analytics.

To be honest I've messed with making my own sites for ages and can be bothered anymore, it's a lot of work to SEO and build links, citations and blog post etc.

I'm going to get a decent site built later this year and put a bit of money that way. But it will be mainly for landing pages from FB ads and AdWords.

robbo333

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 05:19:18 pm »
For me it's worth the cost, but I did mine myself and although it took a while to do, I did actually enjoy making it.
I've had some success with Google Adwords and Google Business Plus and in the last week i've had about 6 enquiries of which 4 were good...so far!
By the same token, I have been doing some leafletting and i've got nothing so far.
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

Phil J

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 07:36:45 pm »
Hey Colin,
I would highly recommend you do it. I've picked up loads of quality work through mine and it pays for itself really quickly.  Nat is the man to design and host your site, great to work with and nothing is too much for him even the silly questions and requests. He always post your latest pictures you send to him, which is a great way to boost your Google ranking. One of the best investments I've made.

bobplum

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 07:52:36 pm »
To be honest there is little point in spending alot of time and money on your website if your fully booked. Just keep it as an information site.

In fact it can do the very opposite, too much work coming in and not enough time to do it will get you a bad reputation
i agree, if you are booked up, then the recommendations and walk ups will probably a better way to grow at a nice steady pace, we are doing this now, as smudger says if you then  want accelerate the build up, do  google adwords ect