Splash & dash

Re: Solar Panel Cleaning H&S Changes
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2018, 05:59:34 pm »
So Steve if this is such a dangerous job we are still all waiting for you to come up with the details of the person you claimed was electrocuted months ago and suprise suprise you have never responded why’s that then ?. 
Again if this is such a dangerous job why do you only pay 16 pence a panel for cleaning it should be considerably more  danger money ?
As others have said I was talking to a green gen manager only last week and he said the likely hood of anyone being electrocuted is so small it’s not worth worrying about
These peopke saying these things are industry experts not a window cleaner from Telford
Yes you have done very well for your self but please stop all the scaremainering, you single handedly have destroyed what could have been a nice little job for many people cleaning panels prices are so poor it’s not worth doing them any more unless it’s domestic.
Mechanical tractor cleaners will very soon be doing most of these large sites thank goodness as it’s sole destroying work any way
Good luck with your future involvement in the solar industry I hope you are the only one approved to clean these sites you are very welcome to them all especially down hear as there are 10s of thousands of the things round hear  that need doing
1. Search on here. There are at least 3 people who admitted they've been electrocuted when cleaning PV.
2. Cleaning windows can kill you too. You can't ramp up cost based solely on risk. It's not as easy as that.
3. See my other post about who knows most about panel cleaning.
4. I am THE industry expert for solar panel cleaning across Europe. That's why they came to me and the other company isn't it? If there was someone who knew more, they'd have gone to him. But over the last 5 years, I've been brave enough to stand on stages in Telford, Birmingham, London and Milan, in front of hundreds each time, educating the industry about panel cleaning. I've written articles for Europe's leading solar publication about the subject. I continue to research and educate.  I have an idea. Why don't you come along to the next meeting we have and explain to everyone why I'm NOT the expert. They'd laugh you out of the room. They know my window cleaning roots and know I own 2 such companies. It's part of what makes me the expert.
5. I haven't destroyed prices. Like any industry, when new players enter the marketplace, the first thing they do to get market share is go in cheap. It's a race to the bottom. It's a race I'm not interested in competing in.
6. You give given yourself away with your 'sole destroying' (sic) comment. Bottom line is that you couldn't stick the jobs we gave you. I'm not sure if that was more mental or physical.

You do have loads down your way. We are down there for a whole month starting March. We will happily clean them.  :)

No Steve I actually did Sainsbury solindra panels for you 4 hours work for two peole  paying £125 not a profitable job is it then there was a further half hour sorting out the paper work with the managers as well as you well know the next site we went to the job couldn’t be done as access was an issue I spent 2 hours the with there managers trying to sort it out WITHOUT EVER BEING PAID ANYTHING AT ALL FOF THAT TIME !!!!! With staff sat in the van paying them by the hour , it was me that declined to do work for you not that I couldn’t handle it either physically or mentally you really are deluded with your own self importance it’s all me me me . Again I can prove what Ime saying with photographic evidence if it’s needed ???
Anyone who does this type of work for that money is never going to run a successful buisness at that price £125 for 4.5 hours work for two people  and you think I couldn’t hack it lol !!!!! No I couldn’t I would have gone bankrupt it was sound buisness since why I didn’t do any more work for you . I could go on about the site that you asked me to look at for you to advise if and how it could be done in st Austell if you like again all in my own time and expense so I think you should think very carefully about what you say about me as more revelations can be made public

robbo333

« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2018, 06:16:21 pm »
I find this very odd.

I admire Steve, I admire anyone who has built a large, respectable business in a niche market. I am guessing you have worked extremely hard and focussed and sacrificed to get to where you are. Fair play to you. And then to top it off, you have been asked to represent the industry as a whole, to help provide a working foundation for future H&S within the industry.

What I find odd, is people (window cleaners) come on here asking if it is 'safe' to clean solar panels, in the same way they would ask about the correct ladders or safety aids for ladders etc. It's usually at times like this people muck in to give help and advice.

Steve, you obviously know the safe way to clean solar panels, so why can't you offer that advice?
Why can't you just say 'OK guys, to clean a domestic solar panel safely, you need to do XY and Z'

Once regulations are brought in, then fair enough, everyone will abide by them and if they need to, they can go on the courses for best practice. In the short term some window cleaners would benefit from some safety guidance.

Is it irony that you set yourself up as an expert in the field, providing H&S expertise for future working practices and yet you can't even help people on a forum to stay safe when working!

"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

Walter Mitty

« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2018, 06:31:08 pm »
So Steve if this is such a dangerous job we are still all waiting for you to come up with the details of the person you claimed was electrocuted months ago and suprise suprise you have never responded why’s that then ?. 
Again if this is such a dangerous job why do you only pay 16 pence a panel for cleaning it should be considerably more  danger money ?
As others have said I was talking to a green gen manager only last week and he said the likely hood of anyone being electrocuted is so small it’s not worth worrying about
These peopke saying these things are industry experts not a window cleaner from Telford
Yes you have done very well for your self but please stop all the scaremainering, you single handedly have destroyed what could have been a nice little job for many people cleaning panels prices are so poor it’s not worth doing them any more unless it’s domestic.
Mechanical tractor cleaners will very soon be doing most of these large sites thank goodness as it’s sole destroying work any way
Good luck with your future involvement in the solar industry I hope you are the only one approved to clean these sites you are very welcome to them all especially down hear as there are 10s of thousands of the things round hear  that need doing
1. Search on here. There are at least 3 people who admitted they've been electrocuted when cleaning PV.
2. Cleaning windows can kill you too. You can't ramp up cost based solely on risk. It's not as easy as that.
4. I am THE industry expert for solar panel cleaning across Europe. That's why they came to me and the other company isn't it? If there was someone who knew more, they'd have gone to him. But over the last 5 years, I've been brave enough to stand on stages in Telford, Birmingham, London and Milan, in front of hundreds each time, educating the industry about panel cleaning. I've written articles for Europe's leading solar publication about the subject. I continue to research and educate.  I have an idea. Why don't you come along to the next meeting we have and explain to everyone why I'm NOT the expert. They'd laugh you out of the room. They know my window cleaning roots and know I own 2 such companies. It's part of what makes me the expert.
5. I haven't destroyed prices. Like any industry, when new players enter the marketplace, the first thing they do to get market share is go in cheap. It's a race to the bottom. It's a race I'm not interested in competing in.
6. You give given yourself away with your 'sole destroying' (sic) comment. Bottom line is that you couldn't stick the jobs we gave you. I'm not sure if that was more mental or physical.

You do have loads down your way. We are down there for a whole month starting March. We will happily clean them.  :)

No Steve I actually did Sainsbury solindra panels for you 4 hours work for two peole  paying £125 not a profitable job is it then there was a further half hour sorting out the paper work with the managers as well as you well know the next site we went to the job couldn’t be done as access was an issue I spent 2 hours the with there managers trying to sort it out WITHOUT EVER BEING PAID ANYTHING AT ALL FOF THAT TIME !!!!! With staff sat in the van paying them by the hour , it was me that declined to do work for you not that I couldn’t handle it either physically or mentally you really are deluded with your own self importance it’s all me me me . Again I can prove what Ime saying with photographic evidence if it’s needed ???
Anyone who does this type of work for that money is never going to run a successful buisness at that price £125 for 4.5 hours work for two people  and you think I couldn’t hack it lol !!!!! No I couldn’t I would have gone bankrupt it was sound buisness since why I didn’t do any more work for you . I could go on about the site that you asked me to look at for you to advise if and how it could be done in st Austell if you like again all in my own time and expense so I think you should think very carefully about what you say about me as more revelations can be made public

You did better than me as I didn't even receive a response (this was quite a while back).  Sounds like I dodged a bullet.

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2018, 06:43:20 pm »

You did better than me as I didn't even receive a response (this was quite a while back).  Sounds like I dodged a bullet.

you did he  takes 50-150%  off the top for himself let alone the poor time he take to pay you for working for him

you get 35 a house he charges 70+vat , the messing about you have to do is unreal  most of the time

if you need help on a job your left there stranded as nobody ever answers the phone  , the office staff dont know what there doing most of the time we found it a crock of grit from start to finish

Don Kee

« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2018, 06:52:28 pm »
How does he take 150% off the top..?

Walter Mitty

« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2018, 07:04:25 pm »

I took that to mean that the total job price can be 250% higher than what the subby is paid i.e. that the proportion can be about 4:6 in the more extreme cases (I'm not speaking from experience - just suggesting an interpretation of another's post).
In fairness, it does cost time and money to organise.  Also, Solar Steve's VAT cannot be taken into account when calculating this, as that is the government's money.  150% sounds a pretty high mark up though if true.

Don Kee

« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2018, 07:25:11 pm »

I took that to mean that the total job price can be 250% higher than what the subby is paid i.e. that the proportion can be about 4:6 in the more extreme cases (I'm not speaking from experience - just suggesting an interpretation of another's post).
In fairness, it does cost time and money to organise.  Also, Solar Steve's VAT cannot be taken into account when calculating this, as that is the government's money.  150% sounds a pretty high mark up though if true.

Ah right, fair enough.

I’m by no means a SS fanboy, it does seem a little off to moan about the pay split ratio when most on here want to pay their employees £60-£80 whilst making them clean £250+.

The H&S side of it is just balls to make himself appear industry leading whether to us or these ‘big businesses’.

I don’t let it bother me to be honest, just let the chap talk away; I’ll take notice when the  apparent oncoming legislation actually comes into play when we clean the odd small array of solar panels, until then I’ll use a little bit of common sense and the advice from the installer that gives out our details as part of his info pack.

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2018, 07:34:37 pm »

he thinks that people dont talk to each other ,heres just one of his jobs .......... so we rocked up and cleaned a job for him where the rate was  190 quid payed to us , we met the top chief on site and carried on  ect ect ect

this top chief found it quite funny that a woman was working the picker and telling the lad  what to do alday , theres was quite a lot of site banter and he was over the moon with the work and wanted us to clean his house windows ect ect ect ect

7 months down the line our now  customer asked what we got payed the clean the panels ?  when i told him we got 190 he then went in to the house and got the 550+vat invoice out to show us ! i

so we binned stevs crap work off that very day

Nick Day

« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2018, 07:34:51 pm »
Now Steve, let's get above all this personal stuff, I have a question for you:
Has the HSE contacted you directly ( name. position. copy of letter) to produce a possible
regularity of the cleaning procedures, document for them?
Please remember, been there, done that!!
Were you to get a law passed with regards to cleaning panels it would mean that the industry would have to inform all future customers on their  limitation with regards to the cleaning and therefore the unregulated cost of getting them cleaned. You could even regulate the regularity of the cleans.
Do you really think your "pals" would want this?? Dream on pal....dream on.

Solar Steve

« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2018, 07:46:34 pm »
Hmmmmm....

This comes up regularly and I’m sure at some point H&s will get specific but unlikely to stop any reasonably  compentant person working as they do now - most danger comes from the inverter then from any exposed wires sticking out of the array - these are located under the array well away from any location where normal cleaning takes place so electricution is highly unlikely - unless damaged (hit with hammer or similar) while installed it’s so or be quite freaky to find a damaged panel that could expose you to a shock

It’s widely recognised that the most dangerous time to be around a solar panel array is during installation and wiring up in the correct sequence

I’m yet to find any reference to electricution while cleaning - I’d be grateful for any links (not hearsay forum stuff)

Darran
Honestly, EVERYTHING you say above about the technicalities of solar is incorrect. How can the most dangerous time to 'be around a solar panel array' be when it's not even live???

Now i'm worried !!

an expert that seems to lack knowledge on when the array is 'live' or not - do some more research and you will find that several installer have been shocked because the feed cable was energised without the wires being in the terminals as you should know and is widely published solar panels are live as soon as light hits them - hence turning off an inverter does not cut the power to a panel  but where possible its an added precaution

i think its easy to hype this everybody wants to go H&S crazy because its an easy way to cover your ( on site companies ) arse  if not making money is the point of this then why do we constantly get the cloak and dagger treatment

i very much doubt any goverment body will pay any attention to a half a dozen shiners on a forum - when we see some 'real' incidents things might change

i put this to you - over the last 9 years i have read about 4 or 5 cleaners who have severe injuries or death using carbon poles and touching overhead cables - so where is the legislation to prevent any untrained person using wfp ?

Darran
Hi Darran.

There is of course a time when the panels are made live and the system switched on for the first time. I'd be a dummy to overlook that process. My statement was perhaps overbroad. I was thinking of 95% of the work involved in fitting the brackets to the roof, trailing dead cables to various places, placing of panels into position etc. When it's all linked together though, of course there's electrical risk.

However, if the terminals were all in pace as they should be prior to the main feed cable being linked, then again, there's no risk is there? If people are getting electrocuted, be that cleaning or installing panels, they are not working safely surely?

I will have no control over what happens with the documents when I submit them, but I will write them to the best of my ability and submit them.

Smudger

« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2018, 07:47:04 pm »
Yes Don Kee - its not worth moaning about the split or what you got out of the job

you know the price before starting and to do the work must of been happy with that - thats how the game works

for me being offered 26p a panel was no where near what i would expect or be happy with same for £35 for a house array
so a simple NO to the work sufficed.

from my point of view this forum is here to help and offer advice, which where possible i try to do whether people take it or not is another matter and if SS actually discussed the so called 'dangers' im sure he would be admired more for his efforts

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Smudger

« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2018, 07:50:11 pm »
Hmmmmm....

This comes up regularly and I’m sure at some point H&s will get specific but unlikely to stop any reasonably  compentant person working as they do now - most danger comes from the inverter then from any exposed wires sticking out of the array - these are located under the array well away from any location where normal cleaning takes place so electricution is highly unlikely - unless damaged (hit with hammer or similar) while installed it’s so or be quite freaky to find a damaged panel that could expose you to a shock

It’s widely recognised that the most dangerous time to be around a solar panel array is during installation and wiring up in the correct sequence

I’m yet to find any reference to electricution while cleaning - I’d be grateful for any links (not hearsay forum stuff)

Darran
Honestly, EVERYTHING you say above about the technicalities of solar is incorrect. How can the most dangerous time to 'be around a solar panel array' be when it's not even live???

Now i'm worried !!

an expert that seems to lack knowledge on when the array is 'live' or not - do some more research and you will find that several installer have been shocked because the feed cable was energised without the wires being in the terminals as you should know and is widely published solar panels are live as soon as light hits them - hence turning off an inverter does not cut the power to a panel  but where possible its an added precaution

i think its easy to hype this everybody wants to go H&S crazy because its an easy way to cover your ( on site companies ) arse  if not making money is the point of this then why do we constantly get the cloak and dagger treatment

i very much doubt any goverment body will pay any attention to a half a dozen shiners on a forum - when we see some 'real' incidents things might change

i put this to you - over the last 9 years i have read about 4 or 5 cleaners who have severe injuries or death using carbon poles and touching overhead cables - so where is the legislation to prevent any untrained person using wfp ?

Darran
Hi Darran.

There is of course a time when the panels are made live and the system switched on for the first time. I'd be a dummy to overlook that process. My statement was perhaps overbroad. I was thinking of 95% of the work involved in fitting the brackets to the roof, trailing dead cables to various places, placing of panels into position etc. When it's all linked together though, of course there's electrical risk.

However, if the terminals were all in pace as they should be prior to the main feed cable being linked, then again, there's no risk is there? If people are getting electrocuted, be that cleaning or installing panels, they are not working safely surely?

I will have no control over what happens with the documents when I submit them, but I will write them to the best of my ability and submit them.

nice dodge Steve - thats almost an admission that you got it wrong ! However i see you have yet to provide a link for severe injury/death by cleaning solar panels

i await your example

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Solar Steve

« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2018, 07:51:57 pm »
Hi Everyone.

A new industry takes time to mature. This has especially been true with the solar industry. We say it has been like riding the solarcoaster!

H&S generally has been the subject of a few threads on here recently and there always seems to be a new person wondering whether to clean solar panels. So I thought I'd provide you with an update from inside the industry.

It is now very much awake to the fact that window cleaners with no training should not be cleaning solar panels. The risks are too great. Because of my background in cleaning prior to becoming engaged with solar, two weeks ago I was tasked with collaborating with another company and writing the following:

1. A guide for asset owners as to what they should look for when choosing a solar panel cleaning company.
2. Minimum H&S guidelines for ANY solar panel cleaning company or individual who cleans solar panels. This will be submitted to the UK H&S Executive for review and possible future use and enforcement. This will also be put into the Operations and Management Guidelines Manual for the whole of Europe.
3.  A Best Practice Guidelines document which will help both asset owners and panel cleaning companies ensure they are getting and providing the highest levels of service.

None of these documents will allow room for a sole trader or window cleaning company to offer solar panel cleaning as a service without knowledge or training.

Changes are definitely coming and this will be to the benefit of you guys and asset owners. H&S for panel cleaning is currently sitting right at the top of the solar industry's agenda at the moment. Changes of some description may be in place as early as December this year. But solar panel cleaning is not going to be unregulated for too much longer.

Can I ask you who tasked you Ste?
Yes, but for confidentiality reasons, I can't say. For which I will probably be mocked. But at the moment, I'm not at liberty to say.

So why post about it until it's finalised?
Not mocking you.  I take my hat off to someone who's gone out there and put in the effort.

If I came out and said I'd discovered how to reduce window cleaning time by 20%, but it's a secret because I and another unnamed party are going to publish a book about it and you have to buy the book to find out how, I would expect to be (rightly) ridiculed.
But I won't ridicule you or others because it's not my way.
I've said about it because as someone else points out in their reply, it allows people to get a heads up on what's coming and plan accordingly. Some will do what it takes to comply, others will jack it in completely. But the main thing that people say about me on here is that I don't help anyone apart from myself. If that was the case, I'd have kept my trap shut.

I now expect to be ridiculed regardless of what I post on here. I don't mind.  :)

AuRavelling79

« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2018, 07:55:19 pm »

Yes, but for confidentiality reasons, I can't say. For which I will probably be mocked. But at the moment, I'm not at liberty to say.

What I can say though is that I have referenced this forum on a number of occasions and it is due to the very obvious lack of knowledge, blasé attitude towards solar panel cleaning within the window cleaning community and reports on here of more than one person admitting they have been electrocuted, that has forced the relevant body on which I am a part of, that regulation is now due.

The more that people come on here and spout, the more ammo the organisation has the go to HSE and get solar panel cleaning regulated. This forum proves the problem is pandemic. That's why regulation is needed and I will continue to print threads off here, quote people, show the industry their websites etc and expose the scale of the problem.

Hmmm ... that seems a very contemptuous use of this forum and its members Solar Steve. I believe such a post might even be perceived as a reason for wondering if it is mutually beneficial for you to remain here if that is how you view this community.

But maybe you'd like to explain why that should not be the case?
It's a game of three halves!

Solar Steve

« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2018, 07:55:33 pm »
At the end of the day chaps, it doesn't matter what health and saftey regulations comes of this or not. Those who don't go with change will loose out. So its worth knowing about it so we can prepare our minds and businesses to move forward with any changes.

It wouldn't surprise me if in 5 years time they will look to regulate the window cleaning industry aswell. So many new window cleaning businesses have started up recently its ridiculous. And the skill levels are shocking. Truly shocking.
Correct Mark. In 2002 I found out the WAHR were being introduced in 2005, I had a decision to make. I either looked to change my career or adapt to the change. I got my pole system in late 2002 when they were a real rarity.

A heads up can often be helpful.

robbo333

« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2018, 08:13:48 pm »
Hi Everyone.

A new industry takes time to mature. This has especially been true with the solar industry. We say it has been like riding the solarcoaster!

H&S generally has been the subject of a few threads on here recently and there always seems to be a new person wondering whether to clean solar panels. So I thought I'd provide you with an update from inside the industry.

It is now very much awake to the fact that window cleaners with no training should not be cleaning solar panels. The risks are too great. Because of my background in cleaning prior to becoming engaged with solar, two weeks ago I was tasked with collaborating with another company and writing the following:

1. A guide for asset owners as to what they should look for when choosing a solar panel cleaning company.
2. Minimum H&S guidelines for ANY solar panel cleaning company or individual who cleans solar panels. This will be submitted to the UK H&S Executive for review and possible future use and enforcement. This will also be put into the Operations and Management Guidelines Manual for the whole of Europe.
3.  A Best Practice Guidelines document which will help both asset owners and panel cleaning companies ensure they are getting and providing the highest levels of service.

None of these documents will allow room for a sole trader or window cleaning company to offer solar panel cleaning as a service without knowledge or training.

Changes are definitely coming and this will be to the benefit of you guys and asset owners. H&S for panel cleaning is currently sitting right at the top of the solar industry's agenda at the moment. Changes of some description may be in place as early as December this year. But solar panel cleaning is not going to be unregulated for too much longer.

Can I ask you who tasked you Ste?

So why post about it until it's finalised?
Not mocking you.  I take my hat off to someone who's gone out there and put in the effort.

If I came out and said I'd discovered how to reduce window cleaning time by 20%, but it's a secret because I and another unnamed party are going to publish a book about it and you have to buy the book to find out how, I would expect to be (rightly) ridiculed.
But I won't ridicule you or others because it's not my way.
I've said about it because as someone else points out in their reply, it allows people to get a heads up on what's coming and plan accordingly. Some will do what it takes to comply, others will jack it in completely. But the main thing that people say about me on here is that I don't help anyone apart from myself. If that was the case, I'd have kept my trap shut.

I now expect to be ridiculed regardless of what I post on here. I don't mind.  :)

Steve, I appreciate what you are saying but I come back to my previous post...
How can window cleaners on this forum, clean solar panels safely?

Surely, the safety of fellow members on here is of the upmost importance. I personally don't even clean solar panels and I am not fishing for any other information, other than the well being of fellow members. Surely there must me some information you can give us?
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

Splash & dash

« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2018, 08:33:43 pm »
Steve keeps calling himself the industry expert I have to agree he is , what is an expert ? Answer a drip under pressure 😂😂😂😂 quite apt really 

Aqua Power Solutions

« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2018, 08:34:23 pm »
I am no expert but i do consider myself to be a competent person . We work on building sites and understand risk assessments and method statements are a part of our working practices . I would not question Steve's knowledge on the solar industry but would question Clean Solar Solutions H & S policy when working at height . Apologies if i am wrong but
Your website video clearly shows men working near the edge of the roof where there is no man safe system installed
At no point that i can see , are your staff attached to any anchor points on the roof
Only one harness is visible and that man is carrying a harness instead of wearing it whilst on the roof ,
No chin straps on helmets when they do fall
At least they have there wellies on so they won't get a shock !

Ed
Aqua Power Solutions external property maintenance 01423 541 400 Mobile 0752 158 3240  Visit our Facebook page for examples of our work https://www.facebook.com/Aqua-Power-Solutions-332485570200950/

Splash & dash

« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2018, 08:56:40 pm »
On a serious note Steve with your contacts in the solar industry I think that the designs of a solar panel is fundamentally floored shortly the panel could be made in a way that the panel it’s self can be turned off to prevent it producing electricity , there is currently no way of turning the panel off it is only possible to do this to prevent the electricity at the inverter which is quite often in the kitchen or garage quite a distance from the panels themselves and this leaves a lot of live cables between the panels and inverter if you get what I mean this is a genuine question and one that we are experiencing more and more with house fires and fires in industrial buildings I feel that the hse or building regs should implement change as this is a dangerous practice that needs addressing can you or your contacts do something about this as Ime sure manufactures could easily over come this issue

Marc Stock

« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2018, 09:14:19 pm »
On a serious note Steve with your contacts in the solar industry I think that the designs of a solar panel is fundamentally floored shortly the panel could be made in a way that the panel it’s self can be turned off to prevent it producing electricity , there is currently no way of turning the panel off it is only possible to do this to prevent the electricity at the inverter which is quite often in the kitchen or garage quite a distance from the panels themselves and this leaves a lot of live cables between the panels and inverter if you get what I mean this is a genuine question and one that we are experiencing more and more with house fires and fires in industrial buildings I feel that the hse or building regs should implement change as this is a dangerous practice that needs addressing can you or your contacts do something about this as Ime sure manufactures could easily over come this issue

Only way i can think of a solar panel being safely switched off, is by having a blinding device over the surface much like a bathroom blind which blocks the sun.

This idea was thought of by Mr Marc Stock,  under Bramar Ltd. 06/02/2018 21:12- if anyone wants to use my idea this is on a public record forum that royalties should be made to Bramar Ltd