Nick_Thompson

Ideas on reducing weight at the brush end.
« on: December 20, 2013, 07:18:44 pm »
A large part of my round can be successfully tackled without the aid of a gooseneck. As a consequence, l have been messing around with a short nylon version of one of these:

Screwed into one of these:

As much as I love the weight saving aspect of this arrangement, the problem is that the angle of the brush socket (pictured above) is too shallow to allow for the brush to be correctly positioned on the glass.

A stumpy, carbon fibre gooseneck, that done away with the need for a brush socket altogether, would be nice.

So, do you chaps have any other ideas for a weight saving alternative to compliment the famous Xtreme brush and pole duo?
Do quantum mechanics fix old transits?

And let us not forget, voyeurism is an occupational hazard that we simply must endure.

SeanK

Re: Ideas on reducing weight at the brush end.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 07:26:27 pm »
Without the gooseneck you will scape the pole of the sills.
You don't have to do this too often to ruin a pole.

Nick_Thompson

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 07:39:47 pm »
Without the gooseneck you will scape the pole of the sills.
You don't have to do this too often to ruin a pole.

My round seems to be blessed with a predominance of shallow window sills, Sean. If I can get the angle right, I think it will be cool.

And let us not forget, voyeurism is an occupational hazard that we simply must endure.

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 07:46:18 pm »
You need a resi-neck swivel mate, you'll never look back!! ;)

Nick_Thompson

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 07:52:40 pm »

Yes, Mr Winpo, sir, I can understand that you have found a friend,  :) but he is over weight.

wfp master

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 08:07:30 pm »
Give the brush a hair cut.

Nick_Thompson

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 08:13:01 pm »
Give the brush a hair cut.

;D A Mohican, perhaps!

Dave Willis

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 08:18:48 pm »
Overweight? You're 'avin a laugh.

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 08:20:35 pm »

Yes, Mr Winpo, sir, I can understand that you have found a friend,  :) but he is over weight.

Weighs the same as any other plastic neck Nickelous, it will only make you working day much easier & faster though. :)

Nick_Thompson

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 08:25:01 pm »
Overweight? You're 'avin a laugh.

I'm after the lightest set up possible, Dave.

Dave Willis

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 08:52:58 pm »
Don't know if a fan jet might fit ......

Dave Willis

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 08:57:51 pm »
99.99% of my jobs are done with one of these  http://www.gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/acatalog/resi-neck-quick-release-type-1-swivel.html

All the rest and this comes out:    http://www.gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/acatalog/resi-neck-quick-release-type-1.html

robert mitchell

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2013, 09:39:12 pm »
i use a carbon gooseneck and sill brush (gardiners of course ;) ) I'm just waiting for alex to hurry up designing the extreme sill brush!

come on alex pull your finger out! ;D ;D
www.ishinewindowcleaning.co.uk

The man who never made a mistake never made anything.

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2013, 10:00:14 pm »
The gardiner carbon gooseneck was lighter than the alternatives last time I checked,...

DeLuce

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2013, 11:42:11 pm »
You should get Mr. G to make a carbon fibre brush stock, that should save some weight!  ;D

windowswashed

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2013, 08:05:58 am »
go down the gym and lift some weights then the pole will feel really light ;D

Nick_Thompson

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2013, 04:23:35 pm »

Hi windows, I already have a log cabin gym in the garden were I've successfully benched twice my own bodyweight for 4 reps and also preformed 15 chin-ups with twice my bodyweight. You see, this isn't about strength, it's about maintaining speed day in and day out, week after week, with as little fatigue as possible.

There is a huge difference, for example, between using a super light brush and an Xtreme brush over the course of a weeks work, even though we're only talking of 140g or so.

You should get Mr. G to make a carbon fibre brush stock, that should save some weight!  

A stubby carbon fibre gooseneck that does way with the need of a stock altogether would be a dream come true, Nic.

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2013, 04:25:40 pm »

Hi windows, I already have a log cabin gym in the garden were I've successfully benched twice my own bodyweight for 4 reps and also preformed 15 chin-ups with twice my bodyweight. You see, this isn't about strength, it's about maintaining speed day in and day out, week after week, with as little fatigue as possible.

There is a huge difference, for example, between using a super light brush and an Xtreme brush over the course of a weeks work, even though we're only talking of 140g or so.

You should get Mr. G to make a carbon fibre brush stock, that should save some weight!  

A stubby carbon fibre gooseneck that does way with the need of a stock altogether would be a dream come true, Nic.

With a swivel you'll suffer much less fatigue as you have to move your body much less than with a fixed neck.

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2013, 04:26:41 pm »
Alex did mention to me he was planning his brushes with built in
Stock. I'm sure it will happen.

He needs to up pace on a super lite extreme sill brush. !!

Dave Willis

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2013, 04:29:01 pm »
Kermit's got a stubby neck I believe.

DG Cleaning

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2013, 04:36:48 pm »
I'd never work without a gooseneck regardless of how deep the sills were.

s.w.c

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2013, 07:20:30 pm »

[/quote]

I must admit a short stubby carbon gooseneck would be handy I use alex carbon goosenecks but on some of my work there a bit of a pain, a shorter version would be good idea, you listerning alex,

there is a trick to lightening brushes without spoiling it,

who said extreme sill brush, you have long wait, I asked mr G to make me attchment for quick release poles to fit traditional window cleaning bits, unger sell a bit to fit theres but need a bit to fit between both, im still waiting, lol so extreme sill brush maybe 2018, lol

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2013, 07:23:40 pm »
Smithy. Alex does a cone now for trad gear.

Alex says a sill extreme is due.

Two new brushes soon ( don't know what they are tho)

s.w.c

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2013, 07:55:25 pm »
I know the cone , but alex knows what im after,  I done work on original sill, extreme sill will be light, lol two new brushes due soon you say,  im working on some now so who knows how they will turn out, only mr G he gets feedback from all testers then has to put it all together into a new brush for the market, ive got a bucket full of old prototype, still to this day I use one I came up with on my everyday pole even got gold bristles, lol I do like brushes and working on them as there one of the most important bits of kit we use,

Nick_Thompson

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2013, 08:00:00 pm »
I know the cone , but alex knows what im after,  I done work on original sill, extreme sill will be light, lol two new brushes due soon you say,  im working on some now so who knows how they will turn out, only mr G he gets feedback from all testers then has to put it all together into a new brush for the market, ive got a bucket full of old prototype, still to this day I use one I came up with on my everyday pole even got gold bristles, lol I do like brushes and working on them as there one of the most important bits of kit we use,

If you have ever weighed any of your brushes, s.w.c., what was your lightest?

Lee GLS

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2013, 09:06:39 pm »
I made my own stubby gooseneck, I ended up with a few of them from buying a few pole so I cut one down and converted it to a quickloc goose neck. Comes in handy every now and again.

Nick_Thompson

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2013, 10:02:54 pm »
I made my own stubby gooseneck, I ended up with a few of them from buying a few pole so I cut one down and converted it to a quickloc goose neck. Comes in handy every now and again.

Can you go into a little more detail, Lee. How did you go about the conversion, exactly?

s.w.c

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2013, 10:08:30 pm »
If you have ever weighed any of your brushes, s.w.c., what was your lightest?
[/quote]

I would have to find my project book it should have details or weight one, I caant give figures for any of alex stuff past or present, it wouldnt be right thats why i keep all old prototypes, seen oodd one oon fleabay a while back, but its not my way,but I do have some of my. Own brushes i will dig them out and weigh but I will need time to dig them out, I just looked through pics I just spotted in 2008 I made a carbon gooseneck lol

Lee GLS

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2013, 10:24:39 pm »

Can you go into a little more detail, Lee. How did you go about the conversion, exactly?

It's straight forward but you need the quick loc system, if you done use this already the you would need to change your brush sockets to them.

You just cut the end off your goose neck off to the length that you want the attach one of the goose neck quick loc adapters.

http://www.gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/acatalog/QUICK_LOQ_C_ADAPT.html

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2013, 10:28:34 pm »
Made exactly the same thing.

Nick_Thompson

« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2013, 11:16:49 pm »

It's straight forward but you need the quick loc system, if you done use this already the you would need to change your brush sockets to them.

You just cut the end off your goose neck off to the length that you want the attach one of the goose neck quick loc adapters.

http://www.gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/acatalog/QUICK_LOQ_C_ADAPT.html

I like it Lee, but instead of incurring the weight of the adapter and socket, I might see if I can use just part of the adapter to help glue and strengthen a shortened carbon fibre gooseneck top arm.

Thanks very much for the picture and idea. :)

ascjim

« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2013, 11:30:24 am »
surley a carbon gooseneck