bobplum

Re: What would your reply be?
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2013, 08:56:01 pm »
It's just ped me off a bit, this guy is a doctor living in a £700k house and he's messing about over £3.00.

not bad handwriting for a doctor ;D

say no thanks and carry on cleaning the neighbours and if he ever comes back its £20.00

supernova77

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2013, 09:09:13 pm »
It's just ped me off a bit, this guy is a doctor living in a £700k house and he's messing about over £3.00.

You mention that in your reply... Something like you surprised that as a doctor he is worried about £3 a month - and then just dump them.

Mitchellmoxo

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2013, 09:20:11 pm »
Mine costs £25. I have it done every 8 weeks. I do have a large house but that does not include 2 side windows they can't get to and 4 roof windows I can flip over and do myself.

They use those spray hoses on a broom type things.[/]

Loooooool

windowswashed

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2013, 09:42:49 pm »
You could mention to the cheapskate customer that you didn't realise the chap who quoted them cheaper has been let out early on bail from prison as he was put away for several years for burglary and theft  and remark what an absolute nutter he was when he went inside;D

Personally I wouldn't do that house that cheap anyway!

My customers tell me I'm more expensive than previous window cleaners before me but I come highly recommended to them by word of mouth recommendations as I'm trustworthy, reliable, honest and do a good job. The decent customers prefer someone reliable they can trust!

Tell them you have your set pricing structure for cleaning windows and you're not prepared to lower your prices, miss out windows or lower your cleaning standards to compete with new w/cleaner poaching your work. If customer wishes to go with someone else that's business, most of the time they will come back and you can up your price with them for not being loyal, that's life :)

PoleKing

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2013, 09:47:07 pm »
If you're willing to do it for £15-yes.
If not, just don't reply and remove them from your round.
They'll either call you grovelling just before Christmas or won't call at all.
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

Simon Mess

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2013, 09:55:54 pm »
As everyone else is saying, definitely do not drop your price.

If they want to stop using you after 5 years over £3, then f**k 'em  ;D

JackieW

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2013, 09:56:26 pm »
"Whilst I realize that finances for all of us are tight at the moment,  I believe that my reputation for honesty, reliability, and good service built up over the past five years of service to you are worth more than the 50p per week that you would save by using the other window cleaner. Please let me know what you would like to do."

Ian101

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2013, 06:38:40 am »
Dear Dr Who,

I appreciate the chance to keep your business however to clean a property of your size at £15 it would mean I would have to cut corners as time is definately money for a professional window cleaner - obviously this is something I am not prepared to do as we pride ourselves that all of our customers come to us by word of mouth and we have standards to maintain.

If you wish to cancel or service going foward please let me know within the next 24 hours as I have 8 future customers on my waiting list whom can fill your allocated time slot.

Best Regards
Graham Proctor aka "The Window Doctor".

Nick_Thompson

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2013, 07:03:21 am »
it winds me up how cheap some people can be.  that's a pricey house theyve got there and they want to save £3 a month of their window cleaner?

I'd remind them of the service they are getting and say no as you charge a fair price for you work.  I would charge more for that house in my area.  

make them feel cheap for asking, remind them everything you do and how reliable you are etc and your insurance etc.

you may loose them, you may not loose them, but if you cut the price it will wind you up everytime you do it.

I'm not going to do that, would feel like I'm grovelling. Stupid I know, but let them off if they want to go is where my mind is at. The truth is I only get to do them every 6 weeks anyway so at £15.00 monthly they will be £4.50 down anyway.

Could you not also point out that the other window cleaning company works out to be more expensive annually by about £30 or so.
Do quantum mechanics fix old transits?

And let us not forget, voyeurism is an occupational hazard that we simply must endure.

*Hector*

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2013, 11:07:25 am »
Just say..
"Yes certainly... which windows would you like me to miss out each time?"
Everyday this forum slips further from God.  :'(

Tom-01

« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2013, 11:58:41 am »
I had a customer once, used to be £30 8 weekly. Turned up she said someone is doing them for £24 could I match that. I said no, and that actually she was due an increase so my price would now be £33. The look on her face was priceless and I felt good :)

I'd reply to your customer and say your price is now £20. Never drop your price to match.

Tom

DG Cleaning

« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2013, 01:09:26 pm »
Be professional in however you handle it.
It puts you in a good light.
Ignore egotistical WC's who suggest putting the price up.

TomCrowther

« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2013, 01:38:53 pm »
Too cheap at £18 anyway mate. Onwards and upwards. Three quid? What a tosser, ..

Pete Thompson

« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2013, 02:23:58 pm »
This would be my reply:

Dear customer,

Oh dear.

We have an awkward situation here, don't we?  After 2 years of trouble-free service and a what I have always considered a good working relationship, we have this.  And now things will simply never be the same, will they?

I could tell you that I'm insulted by your note, that the insinuation that I didn't charge a fair price in the first place cuts to the bone.

I could tell you that I'm hurt by the way you've now made it clear that only thing that stands between me keeping your custom and losing it, is a Johnny-come-lately whose service you have no experience of, but who is £3 cheaper.

I could tell you that, every day that goes by I am asked to clean someone's windows, but I have to tell them they will be added to my 2-year waiting list.  (That's right, 2 years.  Didn't realise you had it so good, did you?)

I could tell you that most customers never realise that they need me far more than I need them, and that 'competiton' is a concept that good window cleaners like myself find both alien and totally irrelevant.

But honestly, what would be the point?

Even if you unreservedly apologised now, the sad fact is, neither of us would be able to forget this, would we?  The truth is, every time I came to your house I would think of this note, with all of the unspoken but nevertheless painful insinuations.

I think we both know that there really isn't any way forward for us now, is there?  I can't even wish you "all the best" in customary fashion, because it would undoubtedly come across as sarcastic, and if I'm honest that is also how it would be meant.

So all that's left to do now is to say farewell.

LWC Ltd

« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2013, 02:53:56 pm »
I understand. Times are difficult these days. Thank you for letting me know. Actually since the majority of my customers are very happy with the work I do and refering me to others I am finding that I am getting more work than I can handle! This has led me to actually raise my prices when I price for new contracts. So I should let you know that if it turns out that you are not happy with his standard of work and wish to renew our verbal contract then the price would be £22. Thank you for your custom over these years.

Carl2009

« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2013, 04:42:27 pm »
This would be my reply:

Dear customer,

Oh dear.

We have an awkward situation here, don't we?  After 2 years of trouble-free service and a what I have always considered a good working relationship, we have this.  And now things will simply never be the same, will they?

I could tell you that I'm insulted by your note, that the insinuation that I didn't charge a fair price in the first place cuts to the bone.

I could tell you that I'm hurt by the way you've now made it clear that only thing that stands between me keeping your custom and losing it, is a Johnny-come-lately whose service you have no experience of, but who is £3 cheaper.

I could tell you that, every day that goes by I am asked to clean someone's windows, but I have to tell them they will be added to my 2-year waiting list.  (That's right, 2 years.  Didn't realise you had it so good, did you?)

I could tell you that most customers never realise that they need me far more than I need them, and that 'competiton' is a concept that good window cleaners like myself find both alien and totally irrelevant.

Even if you unreservedly apologised now, the sad fact is, neither of us would be able to forget this, would we?  The truth is, every time I came to your house I would think of this note, with all of the unspoken but nevertheless painful insinuations.

I think we both know that there really isn't any way forward for us now, is there?  I can't even wish you "all the best" in customary fashion, because it would undoubtedly come across as sarcastic, and if I'm honest that is also how it would be meant.

Whilst I wouldn't send it this is, I'm afraid, true!

This property is WAY under priced, so i'd be glad to let go. £18 - are you kidding! I'd reply, "I'm sorry that I am unable to drop my price to match that of the quote you have been given. My prices are carefully calculated to ensure they are fair to both parties. Thank you for your business over the last few years, it's been much appreciated".

Careful you don't p her off as you might lose the neighbours if she blabs. Mind you if they are at £18 too...!

Tom-01

« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2013, 05:02:23 pm »
Be professional in however you handle it.
It puts you in a good light.
Ignore egotistical WC's who suggest putting the price up.

Egotistical??

Cliff perkins

« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2013, 05:09:30 pm »
Dear Dr Who,

I appreciate the chance to keep your business however to clean a property of your size at £15 it would mean I would have to cut corners as time is definately money for a professional window cleaner - obviously this is something I am not prepared to do as we pride ourselves that all of our customers come to us by word of mouth and we have standards to maintain.

If you wish to cancel or service going foward please let me know within the next 24 hours as I have 8 future customers on my waiting list whom can fill your allocated time slot.

Best Regards

Graham Proctor aka "The Window Doctor".
this made me laugh
very well put  ;D ;D
Www.1stglasswindowcleaning.co.uk

davids3511

« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2013, 05:38:37 pm »
This would be my reply:

Dear customer,

Oh dear.

Whilst I wouldn't send it this is, I'm afraid, true!

This property is WAY under priced, so i'd be glad to let go. £18 - are you kidding! I'd reply, "I'm sorry that I am unable to drop my price to match that of the quote you have been given. My prices are carefully calculated to ensure they are fair to both parties. Thank you for your business over the last few years, it's been much appreciated".

Careful you don't p her off as you might lose the neighbours if she blabs. Mind you if they are at £18 too...!
I'm quite happy with the prices. I can do two an hour at £15-£18 each. I'm happy with £30.00 per hour.

davids3511

« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2013, 05:41:52 pm »
This would be my reply:

Dear customer,

Oh dear.

I could tell you that I'm insulted by your note, that the insinuation that I didn't charge a fair price in the first place cuts to the bone.10p a day.

I love the reply but can't help but suspect you may be getting at me too for being over sensitive, which I know I am. Don't know why this one is bugging me so much. I am over subscribed by nearly 50% so loosing one isn't a big deal. Its just that he is quibbling over 10p a day.