Carl2009

A possible threat to your business is...
« on: November 05, 2013, 01:33:04 pm »
What do you believe the next threat to your business could be?

Whilst I am in a great position just now, I never rest on my laurels. If I were to do a SWOT analysis one of the threats would be the "Cost of living debate" that has reared its head now the economy has started to move in a positive direction.

Given the recent good news on the economy, and just like any opportunist political party in opposition would, Labour have started to look for the next stick to beat the Government with. The hike in electric prices and stubborn inflation rate coupled with the static wage rises the general public are experiencing gives them an ideal subject to debate. It's undeniable that the cost of living has increased but it's only now that it has really become a hot news topic.

I believe that back in 2008 Robert Peston and the BBC (http://www.open.edu/openlearn/society/politics-policy-people/economics/has-robert-peston-caused-recession-social-amplification-performativity-and-risks-financial-markets) helped cause or at any rate help speed along the recession we experienced. If this new debate carries on it could well impact us providers of a luxury service as signs of growth are not seen at a consumer level, yet the price of utilities will make an immediate and easy to feel impact. I have lost 2 customers of many years standing just recently due to having to make cutbacks in their outgoings. Whilst I have gained more than I have lost since April I am expecting more to either stop me or change frequency as a direct result of this debate and the impact of larger winter bills.

We can do our bit to help prevent another recession. Whenever anyone asks me how business is I always say i'm flat out or couldn't be better. This leaves people thinking that things are not all doom and gloom. If we start talking the economy etc. down it will spread and before we know it we'll be in a triple dip.

Just my own opinion.

bobplum

Re: A possible threat to your business is...
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 01:35:03 pm »
the biggest threat to my business at this moment is the part needed for the power steering is lost and my van is off the road for another day

In the next hour or two i have to make a decision as to whether to rent a van for a few days

deeege

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 02:04:04 pm »
Plagues of Romanian window cleaners that are about to hit our shores and take all our work.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

Small but perfectley formed

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 02:19:27 pm »
All this rain  , different day same poop
Spit and polish

Don Kee

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 03:10:46 pm »
Firemen....

Joking, joking, no need for another debate  ;D

Pro-Poler

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 03:56:01 pm »
What do you believe the next threat to your business could be?

Whilst I am in a great position just now, I never rest on my laurels. If I were to do a SWOT analysis one of the threats would be the "Cost of living debate" that has reared its head now the economy has started to move in a positive direction.

Given the recent good news on the economy, and just like any opportunist political party in opposition would, Labour have started to look for the next stick to beat the Government with. The hike in electric prices and stubborn inflation rate coupled with the static wage rises the general public are experiencing gives them an ideal subject to debate. It's undeniable that the cost of living has increased but it's only now that it has really become a hot news topic.

I believe that back in 2008 Robert Peston and the BBC (http://www.open.edu/openlearn/society/politics-policy-people/economics/has-robert-peston-caused-recession-social-amplification-performativity-and-risks-financial-markets) helped cause or at any rate help speed along the recession we experienced. If this new debate carries on it could well impact us providers of a luxury service as signs of growth are not seen at a consumer level, yet the price of utilities will make an immediate and easy to feel impact. I have lost 2 customers of many years standing just recently due to having to make cutbacks in their outgoings. Whilst I have gained more than I have lost since April I am expecting more to either stop me or change frequency as a direct result of this debate and the impact of larger winter bills.

We can do our bit to help prevent another recession. Whenever anyone asks me how business is I always say i'm flat out or couldn't be better. This leaves people thinking that things are not all doom and gloom. If we start talking the economy etc. down it will spread and before we know it we'll be in a triple dip.

Just my own opinion.
What's this good news on the ecocomy then?

sunshine windies

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 10:12:28 am »
The majority if these issues , weather , cost of living, are external factors outside your control as such I don't believe they would be factored into a swot analysis

Regards
Scott

Dean Taberner

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 10:39:40 am »
I'm the biggest threat to my business, because I don't think that I like windows anymore.
Operations manager at J.V Price Ltd

http://www.thepricegroup.co.uk

MATT BATEMAN (OWC)

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 10:47:17 am »
Im also the biggest threat to my business. If I have the motivation to succeed nothing will get in my way, if I don't, my business goes down the swanny.

Geoff

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 10:54:00 am »
My own laziness.  Then again, I couldn't get much more lazy than this, so if this is rock bottom, then there's no risk of losing anything.

It really pays to have low aspirations, that's why I lick windows.

Carl2009

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 10:58:48 am »
The majority if these issues , weather , cost of living, are external factors outside your control as such I don't believe they would be factored into a swot analysis

Regards
Scott

Hi Scott,
Even though they are outside of your control they should be considered and factored in. It's a bit like a risk assessment - it might be unlikely to happen, but you need to have thought about it, even if the response is to do/that you can do nothing about it.

Carl2009

Pro-Poler

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2013, 04:13:27 pm »

See: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24799507 Come on, keep up  ;)
Keep up with what? ::)roll, reports like this were highlighted by another ill informed window cleaner on another site a few years back ::)roll, independent financial experts all agree household budgets are to be further stretched for years to come, wages have been cut or frozen, cost of living has risen between 20 and 30%, these increases in output are just numerical stats which cloud reality, fact is we'd couldn't get any lower economically so there have been blips at times and growth has shown small increases at times but any benefits are not trickling down to families and making their lives easier. Half of all families are living in poverty, energy bills have reached extortionate levels whilst the utility companies further profits, petrol and diesel at all time high, food prices have increased by 30% in the last 5 years and we have a million under 25s without a job all this in the 5th richest economy in the world, my advice start looking for millionaire customers because household budgets are feeling the pinch and the first things to go are luxurys yes and that includes window cleaning :(  

Frankybadboy

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2013, 04:36:02 pm »

Keep up with what? ::)roll, reports like this were highlighted by another ill informed window cleaner on another site a few years back ::)roll, independent financial experts all agree household budgets are to be further stretched for years to come, wages have been cut or frozen, cost of living has risen between 20 and 30%, these increases in output are just numerical stats which cloud reality, fact is we'd couldn't get any lower economically so there have been blips at times and growth has shown small increases at times but any benefits are not trickling down to families and making their lives easier. Half of all families are living in poverty, energy bills have reached extortionate levels whilst the utility companies further profits, petrol and diesel at all time high, food prices have increased by 30% in the last 5 years and we have a million under 25s without a job all this in the 5th richest economy in the world, my advice start looking for millionaire customers because household budgets are feeling the pinch and the first things to go are luxurys yes and that includes window cleaning :(  
mr doom barby knew this was just up your street, ;D ;D ;D

Pro-Poler

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2013, 04:44:50 pm »

mr doom barby knew this was just up your street, ;D ;D ;D
Brains like yours Franky can get window cleaners a bad reputation, some people might even suggest you are thick, OH BUT THEN HOLD ON A BIT ;D ;D ;D

Pro-Poler

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2013, 04:46:50 pm »
I thought that poster was always slagging this site off, too quiet on the other one is it? Get bored did we?  :'( :'( :'(

Frankybadboy

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2013, 05:01:04 pm »
Mr doom and gloom barby

get out in the rain and charge them £3 houses you do

some people like yourself barby you just cant educate  ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D

Carl2009

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2013, 05:55:36 pm »

You're missing the point of my original post. I said that the economy is picking up - which it is - but that families don't feel it - which they don't, hence I disagreeertion that all this banging on about the cost of living could be a threat to our business. Statistics show that business (albeit big business) is picking up nicely - house builders, Primark, the utility companies, the list is endless. Stats also show that people are feeling no benefit from this pick up.

Mind you, can you show me a piece of acknowledged statistical evidence to back up your statement that "half of all families are living in poverty". Many are hard up, but many are not - from my own circle of family and friends I know of no-one who is even close to struggling.

Dave Mills

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2013, 06:24:16 pm »
 The percentage of individuals in relative low income, Before Housing Costs
(BHC), was 16 per cent. This is unchanged from 2010/11 and continues the
lowest level since the 1980s. Levels remained static because, in the main, real
incomes for households near the bottom of the income distribution fell by roughly
the same rate as real incomes for households at the average.

In 2011/12, the percentage of individuals in absolute low income,
measured against the 2010/11 baseline, was 17 per cent BHC, which is one percentage
point, or 900,000 people, higher than in 2010/11. As incomes across the
distribution grew by less than RPI inflation in 2011/12, and the absolute low-
income threshold was uprated by RPI inflation, the population falling into
absolute low income rose.

ONS: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/206850/first_release_1112.pdf

Nowhere near 50%

There really is some b****cks spouted on this site. Firemen claiming youll be in two serious fires in your lifetime (clue: You wont).  People talking tripe about poverty.

Anyone would think we were just a bunch of thick window cleaners making up facts as we go along.

PoleKing

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2013, 06:35:24 pm »
There's no such thing as being 'poor' anymore.
Even the 'poorest' people in our country live like absolute kings compared to the actual poor around the world.
The thread in the OP-threat will only be in the customers head, not reality.
In a couple of years time a packet of fAgs will be £10.
They'll buy them.
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

Ian101

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2013, 06:39:07 pm »
biggest threat is me not getting my backside out early enough in the morning  ;D

Dave Mills

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2013, 07:00:05 pm »

Too right.

All a recession is is everyone putting on hold a little bit of spending.  Once people hear that jobs are at risk they don't buy the new car or the new TV or buy the new insurance policy or meal out.  Enough people do that and you have a drop in demand and a recession.

Its all in the mind of millions of people.

Im with you. Be positive.  Do it anyway as people like happy people and avoid moaners (I do, why would anyone else be different?)

Stephen.C

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2013, 08:09:50 am »
The biggest threat to me is none payment of work.
also heath as none of us know what's around the corner.
then the very real threat of the new eastern Europeans coming from Bulgaria and Romania.
The poorest countries in European union, a council official told me on my round from enquiries made to companies in the county
of Hampshire in order to make provisions how many new employees are they expected to take on over the year and the figure is terrifying. she would not tell what number or what companies but basically this will push more of the indigenous population out of work and possibly in to our line of work.
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.

www.pureh2owindowcleaning.com

BVC

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2013, 08:30:38 am »

Fractional reserve banking.
Quantative easing.
Fiat currency.

Time to wake up fellas!

Pro-Poler

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2013, 02:00:44 pm »

You're missing the point of my original post. I said that the economy is picking up - which it is - but that families don't feel it - which they don't, hence I disagreeertion that all this banging on about the cost of living could be a threat to our business. Statistics show that business (albeit big business) is picking up nicely - house builders, Primark, the utility companies, the list is endless. Stats also show that people are feeling no benefit from this pick up.

Mind you, can you show me a piece of acknowledged statistical evidence to back up your statement that "half of all families are living in poverty". Many are hard up, but many are not - from my own circle of family and friends I know of no-one who is even close to struggling.

I'm afraid the 1950s disappeared long ago, the definition of poverty has changed, I think I heard that if you spend more than 20% of your income on energy you are classed as being in fuel poverty, another thing that has changed is attitudes towards holidays they are now classed as a necessity, I lost a customer today reason given "energy rises", this was a privately owned house with both people working, trouble is people do listen to the news and I can just imagine the conversation in that house, "How can we save money? Mmmmm, window cleaner will have to go then", warning to all don't get complacent, window cleaning is not immune to the economic turmoil.

Tom White

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2013, 02:13:21 pm »
Plagues of Romanian window cleaners that are about to hit our shores and take all our work.

Just like all the Kosovans and Polish did.

Dave Mills

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2013, 04:17:58 pm »
I'm afraid the 1950s disappeared long ago, the definition of poverty has changed, I think I heard that if you spend more than 20% of your income on energy you are classed as being in fuel poverty, another thing that has changed is attitudes towards holidays they are now classed as a necessity, I lost a customer today reason given "energy rises", this was a privately owned house with both people working, trouble is people do listen to the news and I can just imagine the conversation in that house, "How can we save money? Mmmmm, window cleaner will have to go then", warning to all don't get complacent, window cleaning is not immune to the economic turmoil.

As you clearly cant read, heres the facts again about poverty.  Not "I think I heard". Facts.

incomes for households near the bottom of the income distribution fell by roughly

measured against the 2010/11 baseline, was 17 per cent BHC, which is one percentage

ONS: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/206850/first_release_1112.pdf

Another fact: youll spout more b***ocks about how "its not like that".

Pro-Poler

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2013, 06:07:38 pm »

As you clearly cant read, heres the facts again about poverty.  Not "I think I heard". Facts.

Is this Onion Man sounds like his verbal diarrhoea?

Stephen.C

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2013, 06:20:39 pm »

Onion Man is Vin hasn't been on here for ages.
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.

www.pureh2owindowcleaning.com

deeege

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2013, 06:24:08 pm »

Just like all the Kosovans and Polish did.

Yes Tosh, it was said 'tongue in cheek' for that exact reason. I'm surprised the topic hasn't popped up on the forum yet.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

Dave Mills

« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2013, 10:50:12 pm »

I've looked though your past posts and youre a bit of a prat, arent you? You post your opinions as facts and get annoyed when people show that youre wrong. You said 50% of people are below the poverty line. THEY ARE NOT.

You also seem to lose a LOT of customers (but youre wfp and you dont rinse, so Im not surprised).  But thats not your fault, its the cost of living that makes them dump you not the fact that you make a mess of their windows.  Youre a miserable sod, so they probably just get sick of you moaning.  Me, I'm happy and upbeat all the time and they seem  to want me to keep coming.  Must be the booming 1950s economy up here.

Bye.

Pro-Poler

« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2013, 11:24:43 am »

I've looked though your past posts and youre a bit of a prat, arent you? You post your opinions as facts and get annoyed when people show that youre wrong. You said 50% of people are below the poverty line. THEY ARE NOT.

You also seem to lose a LOT of customers (but youre wfp and you dont rinse, so Im not surprised).  But thats not your fault, its the cost of living that makes them dump you not the fact that you make a mess of their windows.  Youre a miserable sod, so they probably just get sick of you moaning.  Me, I'm happy and upbeat all the time and they seem  to want me to keep coming.  Must be the booming 1950s economy up here.

Bye.
/quote]I've looked through your posts and you're a lot of a pratt aren't you?  ;D