tompoole

Employing?
« on: September 21, 2013, 11:59:30 am »
Looking to employ someone next year and do less myself
Looking for advice on current wages that are being paid?
I'm thinking of supplying everything so they will be working solely
For me .
£7-£9 per hour realistic?
Any advice welcome
Cheers
Tom

Smudger

Re: Employing?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 12:10:37 pm »
Yes if you are employing then after a good trial period (ours is 12 weeks) then £7 to £9 is spot on (IMO) we always start on minimum wage for the trial and they get 25 days holiday plus quarterly bonus for attendance (no sick in the 12 week period) and quality no more than 3 customer complaints in the quarter

Employees are on 30 hours contracts but usually work 40 to 50 pw with time and a half on anything over 37 hrs. Pay is 4 wky to tie in with the rounds and working week is Monday to Saturday so if we have a rain day in the week Saturday becomes part of the working week and they don't get paid for a rained off day

Regards
Darran

Ps - it took us a long time to make this move but it's been a great step forward and now if I were seriously ill the business can still roll on without me ( hmmm perhaps not such a good idea after all  ;D )
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

tompoole

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 12:27:02 pm »
cheers darren, just what i was after......

formb

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 12:28:53 pm »
A good idea is to have performance related pay. Pay a lower basic wage then bonuses for every target they hit. Targets can be anything you like.

Smudge - Is only 25 days holiday something to do with your 30 hour contract or did you mean 28?

Smudger

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 12:41:27 pm »
sorry they get 20 days plus bank holidays (28) and we also give them 2 "duvet" days - these are days that they can take with no notice for any reason - BUT we encourage them to think of them as useful to protect an attendance bonus..

mrs smudger
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

tompoole

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 01:50:32 pm »
Duvet days ? You are joking!
I don't think I'm gonna be any good at employing , lol.
20 days holiday , no sick pay , production bonus . And O/T
That's all I'm thinking

robertphil

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 04:24:23 pm »
£7 is what i pay .     i now pay em a cut of every new job that they find outside of the normal days work. plus they get to keep tips

one of my lot got caught not wearing a seatbelt and i paid it off , i was driving at the time .