Ian101

Even the weather people are having a meeting next week to discuss the last 3 years climate in this country.

Im now thinking instead of working my round over say 15 or 16 days instead of 20 as I currently do which will mean starting on the glass at 8am sharp.

Also will be working in the rain no matter if its light or heavy (currently work in light rain only)  customers will either have to accept it or they will be missed out and may be dropped altogether as cant see this weather improving and its now got to point I just have to keep going no matter what as got bills to pay  ::)roll and point reached where I feel a need to alter my mindset of "oh well tomorrow will be a nicer day so will leave it till then" as a nicer day never seems to come - if it does it dont last long.

I know some guys on here like Dazmond work in all weather and to a certain point I already do but starting next week if I set out to do £xxx on that day then just gonna do it no matter how heavy the rain.

Anyone else having to rethink their approach ?

DG Cleaning

Re: Do we need to rethink our rounds with constantly bad weather.
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 06:26:16 pm »
You need to leave look long term with weather it won't always be bad.
On 2011 I went 7 months and didn't get rained off once, I was trad then and didn't work in rain like I do with the pole.

Dave Willis

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 06:31:23 pm »
I look forward to a washout day sometimes - good excuse for a day off  ;D
I've never worked in heavy rain for the last six years and don't really intend too.

rah

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 06:34:55 pm »
The real worrying fact is that apparently, the weather we are currently experiencing is a result of climate change 25 yrs ago!!! We're a lot more industrial now and a lot more populated than we were then!

Interesting times ahead!
Life used to be full of up's and downs....now i hardly ever get up a ladder :) .

deeege

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 06:42:46 pm »
You need a backup of work you can do in bad weather, be it rain,wind, snow or ice.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

robertphil

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 07:13:07 pm »
dont think about it ,just do it (work in all weathers)

dazmond

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 07:28:35 pm »
i worked again today in heavy rain.no one even mentioned it really and paid up if they were in.some of the torrential downpours were quite spectacular!!i did sit in the van a couple of times for around 10 mins as it was unbelievably bad at times!!

ive got a stinking cold as well.i had a few commercial jobs today but a fair few were country domestics.

im stacked out at the moment.i was hoping to have the weekend off but got a phone call the other day off a customer who wants her big glass conny roof cleaned and the windows so im doing it tomorrow probably in heavy rain!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

yesterday i had a run of 10 large posh domestic houses and they all paid up without mentioning the weather and it was pretty wet at times!! ;D ;D

the thing is the windows and frames came u great despite the weather ;D

its forecast wet for most of next week as well so i just crack on.

ive been working in virtually all weathers for a few years now and customers are used to it.

remember all the wet weather last summer?i was out in it most of the time if i had work due.i also had my best ever yearly earnings.

i dont like getting behind and stick to a pretty rigid schedule as when all my work is completed on time i get a few days "breathing space" at the end of the month to chill out and relax.

this is the way i work anyway lads.it wasnt always like this though when on the ladders!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

best wishes to you all

dazmond
price higher/work harder!

dazmond

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 07:48:26 pm »

this was this afternoon!absolutely bouncing down!!cleaning a childrens home!i decided to shelter for 10 mins!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
price higher/work harder!

Stephen.C

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 07:53:59 pm »
After a recent trip to Belfast to see family, got talking to a couple of shiners they tell me it rains nearly 70% of the time and no one bats an eye lid, providing its WFP.
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.

www.pureh2owindowcleaning.com

PoleKing

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 07:55:56 pm »
I run a monthly round but aim for 4 weekly.
Gives an extra couple of days leeway most months.
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

Flash..

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 08:01:19 pm »
I look forward to a washout day sometimes - good excuse for a day off  ;D
I've never worked in heavy rain for the last six years and don't really intend too.

Agree with both points

bobplum

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 08:07:28 pm »
You need to leave look long term with weather it won't always be bad.
On 2011 I went 7 months and didn't get rained off once, I was trad then and didn't work in rain like I do with the pole.

How do you no it wont be bad ???

home6442

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 08:11:17 pm »
I don't mind working in the rain but rain with high winds is another
matter, and we seem to be getting more of this.
I cleaned in windy wet weather a few weeks back and the windows were filthy again the next day
had to clean them all again they were that bad.
The thing to think about is with all this bad weather why would anybody care if their
windows were cleaned or not.
I know if I was paying £20 + to have my windows cleaned and they where dirty again
a few days later I would certainly think about cutting back on the clean frequency.
Good job most of my customers are not like me.

ben M

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 08:16:37 pm »
where do you live Ian? come to the south, most of the time the weather is nice  ;)

bobplum

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 08:18:49 pm »
I agree with Ian,build a few days slack in the system (finances allowing) and depending on your live style

And how you first started off probably has a bearing on it as well, if you always cleaned in the rain then customers are use to it if not then it is a mind set that needs to be crossed both for the cleaner and the customers.

Scenario......"hi sorry were late"  customer " thats ok,you couldn't have cleaned in that rain yesterday"............use to agree...but now its  "well actually we do and will be doing it more often"....then explain the system etc

Have just compiled a "news letter" well actually its more a terms and conditions in disguise, which will in part be reinforcing the fact we will now be cleaning in the rain

james peters

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2013, 08:19:57 pm »
I know some of you wont believe me...but in all honesty , I have probably only had 2 days off over the past year to bad weather... youv just got to get on with it...

ok.. when it has been really bad I just do the ones that I know are always out...I rarely get  anyone making a fuss about it.....I realy do think that some of us think too much and worry too much , and put objections in the way without trying....

if a custie comes out and says not today, then just move to the next house .... dont fret over it ...just get on with it....
I have to work in all weathers as I live in one of the wettest parts of the uk...

supernova77

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2013, 08:20:57 pm »
« Reply #14 on: Today at 08:18:04 pm »   
Quote from: dazmond on Today at 07:48:26 pm

this was this afternoon!absolutely bouncing down!!cleaning a childrens home!i decided to shelter for 10 mins!!       
ridiculous, no respect at all for customers

I don't see the issue? The windows will still be clean...

Andy

Dani J

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2013, 09:22:31 pm »

this was this afternoon!absolutely bouncing down!!cleaning a childrens home!i decided to shelter for 10 mins!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

i will sack you on the spot if you were my window cleaner.  ;D

deeege

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2013, 09:29:08 pm »
After a recent trip to Belfast to see family, got talking to a couple of shiners they tell me it rains nearly 70% of the time and no one bats an eye lid, providing its WFP.

And you believed them?
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

formb

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2013, 07:15:31 am »
I'm very up north. We have had a cracking start to the summer. Virtually no rain whatsoever. A wee snow shower at the end of may but hey ho.

Some of you are a like soooo melodramatic. A bit of rain and the world is ending.