Bill.upnw

Re: New cars and vans are a joke
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2014, 07:23:57 pm »
don't forget though parts for new cars are a lot more expensive.

a guy I no from the local bodyshop bought a new shape Ferrari, f40 or f50 or something like that, engine in the boot, was beautiful, but then hes complaining because when it came to service time, the oil filter was £1000 for genuine Ferrari oil filter, or £500 for an aftermarket oil filter.

ppl forget cost of maintenance. deerer the vehicle deerer maintenance is.

this guy runs a bodyshop, and hes a really dodgey guy, so he wont have payed a third of that! but yea, its like if u can afford to drive one of them around, that prob use 50 quid a day in petrol, what do you expect!!!!! ffs
Cheapest new ferrari is over £150k, and he is moaning about a £1k oil filter, hmmmm........... ;D

dd

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2014, 07:33:47 pm »
If you have your van/car repaired when it goes wrong, expect big bills.  If you have it serviced on a regular basis they will be few and far between.

Vin
How does having it serviced regularly stop the clutch, started motor, alternator etc from wearing?

Paul T

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2014, 07:36:11 pm »
Yeah must remember to get my clutch serviced

Michael Peterson

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2014, 07:46:40 pm »
there is no cheap way to replace a duel mass flywheel im afraid, i helped change one on a ford mondeo yesterday, everything under the gearbox has to be moved and the radiator has to hang down etc, its a long process to get the gear box out, the subframe has to come down first and disconnect the exhaust, on this car it took two hours to get to even get to the clutch then a (good) three hours to change the thing more likely 4 to be honest, the clutch and fly wheel was 500 to buy and thats with our discount, and then after labour came to about £800, a really horrible job on the fords im not sure about other makes, pretty much everyone hates duel mass flywheels and a lot are replacing them with old

Perfect Windows

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2014, 08:01:15 pm »
If you have your van/car repaired when it goes wrong, expect big bills.  If you have it serviced on a regular basis they will be few and far between.

Vin
How does having it serviced regularly stop the clutch, started motor, alternator etc from wearing?

If you have a wet clutch in a gearbox that shares oil with the engine, regular servicing means that it'll always be immersed in oil within spec and uncontaminated by swarf.

If your vehicle is properly serviced, it'll start promptly, so your starter motor will wear less.

Regular servicing means belts, etc will be tight and in good condition so you won't be knackering your alternator's bearings.

Vin

Michael Peterson

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2014, 08:03:13 pm »
very true :-)

PoleKing

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2014, 08:38:54 pm »
there is no cheap way to replace a duel mass flywheel im afraid, i helped change one on a ford mondeo yesterday, everything under the gearbox has to be moved and the radiator has to hang down etc, its a long process to get the gear box out, the subframe has to come down first and disconnect the exhaust, on this car it took two hours to get to even get to the clutch then a (good) three hours to change the thing more likely 4 to be honest, the clutch and fly wheel was 500 to buy and thats with our discount, and then after labour came to about £800, a really horrible job on the fords im not sure about other makes, pretty much everyone hates duel mass flywheels and a lot are replacing them with old

What do mean 'replacing them with old'?
Surely if the old one is out, putting a brand new one in is the best course of action?
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2014, 08:41:59 pm »

Surely if the old one is out, putting a brand new one in is the best course of action?

You can often replace a dual mass with a standard single clutch - but don't drive it like a loon or it'll break.
It's a game of three halves!

Don Kee

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2014, 08:43:39 pm »

You can get smf (solid) conversions
A bit more vibration in gear change but bullet proof

Don Kee

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2014, 08:45:59 pm »
Sorry gold sort of stepped on toes!!!
Although dont think you can just replace with a solid, pretty sure you need a conversion kit?

>poleking

In theory new should be better.
The dmfs are two plates with springs and are meant to give smoother gear changes, less vibration through gear box amongst other things.... (I think) but can go after a 'small amount of milage'
Alot of it is, as been stated, how you drive
Smfs are solid flywheels though and so should pretty much last forever...

Lee GLS

« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2014, 08:52:38 pm »
Although dont think you can just replace with a solid, pretty sure you need a conversion kit?

You just replace the DMF with a SMF, the conversion kit is the SMF, unbolt one and bolt on the new one.

Some say that SMF are fine others say you should keep the DMF because the SMF can put strain on the crankshaft because of the extra vibration they cause

PoleKing

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2014, 09:01:10 pm »

>poleking

The dmfs are two plates with springs and are meant to give smoother gear changes, less vibration through gear box amongst other things.... (I think) but can go after a 'small amount of milage'

What about DSG, Tiptronic or Auto boxes?
Assume this only applies to manuals?
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

Simon Mess

« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2014, 09:18:31 pm »

>poleking

What about DSG, Tiptronic or Auto boxes?
Assume this only applies to manuals?

DSG IS a manual gearbox, with 2 clutches, only your left leg is replaced by electrical gubbins, so wouldnt think they would be exempt from the problem!.

oldman

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2014, 08:20:14 am »

Cheapest new ferrari is over £150k, and he is moaning about a £1k oil filter, hmmmm........... ;D

These people don't moan.....it's their way of 'bragging' about how much they spend on servicing/parts.
They have an aura of smugness and a perverted sense of humour in waiting for our shriek of.....  :o HOW MUCH :o.

EandM

« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2014, 01:06:41 pm »
I'm totally amazed a the price of repAiring newer vans and cars,
It's totally unbelievable what people are being asks to pay for
Servicing and repairing parts, it was mentioned on her about an
Alternator for £800 , a friend had four injectors for £1700
My own honda accord ctdi needs new clutch and have been quoted
£800 for clutch and may be £1500 if it needs new dual mass!  Less than 70k
And 5years on these cars/vans too
£800 for an alternator !!!!! Ffs is it gold plated?
Car and van dealers really are taking the p now .!!
Over £1k for a clutch ! £800 for alternator £200plus fitting per injector!!
p take if you ask me ...... Rant over

£800 would completely rebuild the six cylinder engine in my Capri !
It's all gone mad -  DMFs are a solution to a problem nobody knew existed - front wheel drive makes working on it an absolute pain and many dealer prices are on the ludicrous side.
Common rail injectors are expensive because they're made to incredibly high tolerances but even BMW ones aren't much more than £200.
Shop around, they're are cheaper independents.
Last cambelt change on my Ranger only cost me £20 in labour.

Michael Peterson

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2014, 07:50:05 pm »
I replaced the two fuel filters on a Ferrari testa rosa an easy job and cost no more than about 30 quid, it was worn around 40k but I wonldnt have it lol I would want something different for that money