Paul Coleman

Another cancellation
« on: July 27, 2007, 09:27:01 am »
I seem to be doing quite well for losing work this week.
Got an email a little while ago from a now former customer saying:

"It looks like we are moving on so we will not need you to clean our windows any longer. Thanks for the job you have done in the past.

Also one note, with your new system of cleaning without ladders, the apparatus you use is scratching the window sills, just so you are aware.

Best wishes,

XXXXX "

The bit that concerns me is the bit about sill scratching.  The brushes I have used on the job are a 16" Vikan brush (until a few months ago) and a 10" Vikan brush in recent months.  I remove the red buffer surround from the 10" Vikan as it was causing red marks.  I find it difficult to imagine how I could be scratching sills as it seems to be just the bristles that are contacting the sill rather than the hard part of the brush.
Anyone else heard about this?

LWC

Re: Another cancellation
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 09:56:13 am »
i have head about this yes, but it baffles me how they could???

john tomkins

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 11:22:15 am »
I've had this and it's the edge of the brush that causes it, it's not scratching as such, but marks from the edge of the brush leaving lines across the sill, I've found it shows up more on sills that are no longer white, a sort of off white, the lines come off easy with solvent cleaner (much to my relief), and brings the sill back to life,  I just say it's how their sills/frames have discoloured over the years and not directly my fault.....ish  ;D

Paul Coleman

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 12:30:57 pm »
I've had this and it's the edge of the brush that causes it, it's not scratching as such, but marks from the edge of the brush leaving lines across the sill, I've found it shows up more on sills that are no longer white, a sort of off white, the lines come off easy with solvent cleaner (much to my relief), and brings the sill back to life,  I just say it's how their sills/frames have discoloured over the years and not directly my fault.....ish  ;D

I will email back to him later and ask if I can take a look at the sills with from my ladder.  It will have to wait a while though as I'm on holiday from tomorrow.

mark dew

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 03:08:44 pm »
i also took the red rubber of my vikan because of the marks it was leaving.
A customer told me they liked the system but it left black marks on the pvc. I took a look and he was right.
No problem i said, got some pvc cleaner in the van. Gave it a scrub and came up like new. Customer was happy i was relieved.
Like john mentioned, it sounds like this.

EasyClean

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 06:58:34 pm »
I use to use the 'Bentley' brush fitted to a supalite pole and YES they do scratch the sills with the sharp edge on the brush head. Either file/sand them smooth, don't clean sills with them or change brush heads. I would highly recommend using 'Tucker' brushes for cleaning glass and sills.
Losing a customer is like waiting for the next bus, another one will come along shortly!

Pureandclean

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 07:09:11 pm »
or use one of the new sill brushes, that way only the bristles contact the sill !!

pjulk

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 07:38:43 pm »
I have had this had a right nightmare from one customer.

The sills will not be scratched but the vikan brushes do leave black marks on the sills from the edge of the brush.

I now use a sill brush have done now for about 4 or 5 months and its so much better as i know im doing a better job of the sills.

Have not had any complaints since using a sill brush

Paul

john tomkins

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2007, 08:35:08 pm »
The only complaint you'll get paul is from your back.,,,, they weigh a ton  ;D

pjulk

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2007, 10:47:11 pm »
I find they don't weigh that much more.

I used to use a 16" vikan now use the sill brush and i think they weigh pretty much the same.

Paul

Paul Coleman

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2007, 06:10:39 am »
Here's a thought.
A lot of people use the 10" Vikan brush which starts off with the red surround.  I know some people remove it to avoid the red marks.  It now appears that some marking of sills is possible when the surround is removed.  There was a similar problem with point ladders some years ago when black rubber and then red rubber was used at the ladder point.  The manufacturers started using white rubber so that frames would not get marked.
I was wondering what the prospects might be of Vikan being persuaded to use a white rubber surround.  I've never manufactured anything but my hunch is that there would be no  real extra cost in making the switch (unless white rubber is more expensive) as the mould for the surround would be identical to the current one.
Anyone have a direct line to the Vikan top dogs?   :)

Paul Coleman

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2007, 06:52:38 am »
I've gone onto the Vikan website and sent the following email to their marketing department.
I don't suppose it will help at all but if you don't ask you don't get.  If you do ask, then there is a remote chance that it will reach someone in the right place who takes it on board.

Dear Sir.
I'm sure you are aware that many window cleaners use Vikan brushes for window cleaning these days.  These brushes are fitted onto the end of telescopic poles to enable windows to be cleaned with pure water systems and work very well.
A problem that has been around for a while is with the 10 inch (some call it 11 inch) oval shaped brush.
Many window frames these days are made of white UPVC.  Unfortunately, the red rubber surround on the Vikan 10" brush can mark the window frames.  A lot of window cleaners resolve this by removing the surround.  However, this can lead to the problem of window sills being scuffed or even scratched by the black edge of the brush head.

A similar problem existed some years ago with the pointed end of a window cleaning ladder.  The pointed ends used to have black rubber on them. As white UPVC frames became more dominant,  a manufacturer started using red rubber instead.  However, this still marked the frames.  So eventually, a manufacturer started making these ladders with white rubber.  Problem solved.  No marking of frames.

The reason I am writing to you is to discuss the possibility of Vikan using a white rubber surround on the 10" brush instead of red.  Obviously I have no idea of the inner workings of the Vikan company. My very limited understanding of manufacturing processes suggest that there would be no extra cost in moulding as the product would be identical to the current one except in colour.

A lot of window cleaners use these brushes.  However, it is also true that many use other companies' brushes for the reason stated above.  Obviously I can only refer to my own experience and those of window cleaners I know personally and via the internet.  Therefore, I have no view of the bigger picture.

I'm told that these brushes were originally made for cleaning vehicles.  Window cleaning with pure water pole systems is a massive growth industry.  I believe that if you make this product with white surround, at least in the window cleaning industry you would see an increase in sales.
Of course there may be reasons that I am unaware of why you would be unable to alter the product in the way that I've suggested and I realise that this email would look better coming from a large window cleaning supplier.  However, I hope I have given you something to think about for the future.

I have attached pictures of the 10" brush and the rubber on a point ladder so that my meaning is made clearer.

Regards,

Paul Coleman

PS.  If you reply to this there may be a delay in response as I am on holiday for a short while.

NWH

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2007, 02:14:16 pm »
They will just tell you that they have solved the problem by now supplying the mono version in all all types used for window cleaning ie oval,hi-lo,and rectangular,you can get these brushes now with black stocks with no rubber surround.

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2007, 04:33:07 pm »
Excellent letter.