nathankaye

another compelling reason!
« on: April 27, 2016, 10:44:37 am »
Not that its needed but...
Theres another cleaner in all my areas, who ive known for all these years. Bumped into him again today. Hes on crutches, supports on leg. He brought some new rubbers for bottom of ladder but also angled ladders a bit too far out. A little drizzle of rain n boom! Ladders went and hes busted his kneee good n proper!
Hes never liked wfp but.......! Thankfully he has a lad work with him so still managing some work.
Ouch!! What more reason do w.cleaners need if they are weighing up the choice
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Smurf

Re: another compelling reason!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 12:38:07 pm »
Makes you think for sure as most using ladders have had a near miss or a fall in this game at one time or another.
Sadly some each year don't get a second chance either.

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 02:19:09 pm »
Started a new one yesterday whose previous windy fell off his ladder on his property and busted his wrist. He loyaly waited for him to come back but it's been over two years now so he's gotten fed up with waiting.
We have a choice! We can do one or the other, the opposite, both, or neither depending on which way the wind is blowing.

bobplum

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 04:07:47 pm »
and apparently now the window cleaner can sue the home owner

slap bash

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 10:04:12 pm »
A solicitor friend of mine said that if you have a customer that requests you to do trad of a ladder is putting himself and the end of a lawsuit if you fall.

paulben

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 06:09:00 am »
If a customer requested me to use a ladder he would be on end of a (MODDED) off only use them where pole wont do
Do not steal the government hates competition

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 06:44:39 am »
If a customer requested me to use a ladder he would be on end of a (MODDED) off only use them where pole wont do

If I were a customer and you spoke to me like that you would have the pole bashed over your head.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 07:50:12 am »

So you will take a risk then? What do you say to the customer? Swear at him for the fronts and sides but put your neck on the line for the one over the long extension ...  ::)roll
It's a game of three halves!

Johnny B

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 09:47:58 am »
Ladders are safe enough if used responsibly.

Yes I have had some mishaps over the years. No injuries fortunately, but each and every time it was down to my error. I have never met a ladder that has ever made a mistake!

I am older now, more cautious but still a stubborn old git!  ;D

John
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Smurf

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 11:45:05 am »
Complacency can kill no matter how cautious people think they are.

In my case after loads of near misses and close calls if there is a safer way to do a job without the need to be using ladders then I'm all for using those methods as reduces the risks involved of taking a fall.

However if I do need to use ladders now on the odd occasion then will use the most suitable ladders for the job with safety devices fitted so the ladder don't move at all. After saying that if I was still trad window cleaning via ladders the safety devices I use now on double & triple ladders would be not practical to use on each ladder set on a window cleaning run time wise.

Some trad window cleaners will never change over to more suitable safer methods than using ladders. The ones that do like me would never go back out of choice that's for sure. If anyone insisted I trad their property top floor windows using ladders now I politely tell them no as is not worth the risk for the reward.

Each to their own  ;D

SeanK

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2016, 01:10:37 pm »
Complacency can kill no matter how cautious people think they are.

In my case after loads of near misses and close calls if there is a safer way to do a job without the need to be using ladders then I'm all for using those methods as reduces the risks involved of taking a fall.

However if I do need to use ladders now on the odd occasion then will use the most suitable ladders for the job with safety devices fitted so the ladder don't move at all. After saying that if I was still trad window cleaning via ladders the safety devices I use now on double & triple ladders would be not practical to use on each ladder set on a window cleaning run time wise.

Some trad window cleaners will never change over to more suitable safer methods than using ladders. The ones that do like me would never go back out of choice that's for sure. If anyone insisted I trad their property top floor windows using ladders now I politely tell them no as is not worth the risk for the reward.

Each to their own  ;D

Agree each to their own, just like some would call you a fool for working with a gas appliance in the back of a van others
will call somebody working from a ladder the same.
Sometimes the safer method isn't always the best method so I understand fully why a successful traditional guy with a good
reputation would be reluctant to change over.
Pure water no longer cleans, Hot pure water no longer cleans, Hot pure water with an additive no longer cleans, Hot pure water
with an additive and an xtreme brush no longer cleans, doesn't fill you with much confidence in the method does it. lol

Smurf

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2016, 04:02:18 pm »
Trouble is I've found like most wfp converts including myself trad window cleaning method using ladders to access windows can be very limiting to what windows can actualy be safely reached and cleaned.  Trad only cleaners should be asking themselves do they really want to contine taking risks clambering about on tiled pitched, flat roofs,  conservatories etc to get to awkard windows just to earn a few quid and most importanly do they really still need to be using ladders at all.  Most with a brain would say no they don't but some die hards still carry on doing it how they have been taught the old school way just because they can. Howerver that don't mean trad method cleans glass any better than wfp method either.

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2016, 10:19:59 am »
I was a die hard ladder user for many years and felt perfectly safe. But an error in judgement on my part caused me to have a serious accident, not off the ladder but falling from height and at work, and forced me to consider wfp.
Now, I'm more than happy to use my ladders as little as possible.
I recently suffered a nerve injury which resulted in my left leg giving way every so often so have had to stay off my ladders altogether. I hardly use them anyway but discovered of the five or so properties I thought couldn't be done with wfp for various reasons, three can be, due to different things/techniques I've learned in the last few years, and the other two I'm working on. So I'm well happy with that.
We have a choice! We can do one or the other, the opposite, both, or neither depending on which way the wind is blowing.

paulben

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2016, 04:29:55 am »
My point is I wont be dictated to by customer if they don't like way I do job then they can get some one else still use ladder occasionally but when and where are my choice
Do not steal the government hates competition

Don Kee

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2016, 07:33:15 am »
Trad Gas bottle using cleaners should be asking themselves do they really want to contine taking risks ... just to earn a few quid and most importanly do they really still need to be using hot ladders at all.  Most with a brain would say no they don't but some die hards still carry on doing it how they have been taught the old school way just because they can. However that don't mean trad method a DIY hot system cleans glass any better than wfp method either.

This line was funny...

Hypocrite springs to mind!

Each to their own mate, why let it bother you so much?

Smurf

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2016, 08:02:30 am »
It don't bother me as much as you obviously for you to go out of your way to edit my post.