P @ F

Another brick wall... (no driving) HELP !
« on: February 10, 2015, 08:51:01 pm »
Hi guys , well another brick wall was hit today , have been given go ahead by the heart consultant to return to work .
Saw the GP today in order to get the go ahead to be behind the wheel again , she was happy for it , but then dropped the bomb that i could have to wait 12 months to drive ????
It then comes to light that as i have been prescribed Keppra , anti seizure drug , while not actually having suffered one im a bit peeved !
Looks like no real answer is coming soon , so in a nutshell it looks like im fecked and the biz is dead.
What can i do ?
Do i take on to secure a driver , this means more insurances , more grief than i actually need at the mo for sure , can i warrant it as was only going back to do 4 hours a day .
If any of you that employ can enlighten me as to the best course of attack then please do , especially as i dont need to be on the policy do i have any options in regard to van insurance ?

Please help RICH  ??? 
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

Window Lickers

Re: Another brick wall... (no driving) HELP !
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 08:54:02 pm »
At the very least you could pay someone £7.00 an hour to drive and sit in the vehicle waiting whilst you do the work. You'll cover their money. Worst case scenario.

After 6 months promote them, so they then have to reel the hoses in.
Liberace's ex looking to meet well built men for cottaging meets.

Dave Willis

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 08:54:36 pm »
Do you have a girlfriend/boyfriend/partner who could be your driver?

Jakey boy

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 08:57:16 pm »
Hi guys , well another brick wall was hit today , have been given go ahead by the heart consultant to return to work .
Saw the GP today in order to get the go ahead to be behind the wheel again , she was happy for it , but then dropped the bomb that i could have to wait 12 months to drive ????
It then comes to light that as i have been prescribed Keppra , anti seizure drug , while not actually having suffered one im a bit peeved !
Looks like no real answer is coming soon , so in a nutshell it looks like im fecked and the biz is dead.
What can i do ?
Do i take on to secure a driver , this means more insurances , more grief than i actually need at the mo for sure , can i warrant it as was only going back to do 4 hours a day .
If any of you that employ can enlighten me as to the best course of attack then please do , especially as i dont need to be on the policy do i have any options in regard to van insurance ?

Please help RICH  ??? 

I really feel for you rich, this is a tough old storm your going through, have you thought about employing a young lad who can drive and can help you out? Pay him a wage and maybe do 5 hours a day? Perhaps a student looking for work as a gap year come June?

Tom-01

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 08:59:42 pm »
At the very least you could pay someone £7.00 an hour to drive and sit in the vehicle waiting whilst you do the work. You'll cover their money. Worst case scenario.

After 6 months promote them, so they then have to reel the hoses in.

Ha I love that. That's the thing I love the most, not having to do the reel these days! I'm still just about ok getting the ladder off once a day if needed :)

davids3511

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 09:02:22 pm »
You could easily get an old retired guy to work 4 hours a day just driving you around for £30.00 a day to top up their pension.

Tony dunmall

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 09:11:07 pm »
Not what you needed to hear,

Just a thought

My step father does volenteer driving as he gets board and wants to do something, his fuel is just covered, there must be some older drivers, with clean licences Out there who would be glad some cash and to help out and have a purpose.
try the citizens advice beurea or try locating a volunteer driving agency and speak to them they may have some suggestions.

Similar thing happened to friend mine about six months ago, he can still drive but just can't just got no energy, just started a little driving his managing two half of days a week now with his wife  still medicated up and waiting for outcome through consultant only 42 his wife does the driving and eldest daughter and wife go out the other two days a week

Hope you get things sorted

alfie11

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 09:11:44 pm »
You can drive on keppra, I would have presume you had a siezure and that is the reason for not being alowed to drive. Crack on and get someone to drive you about. If not, Ill swap your round or wheelchair  ;D

P @ F

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 09:40:49 pm »
I have thought of all the above replys , and they are all feasable , i have my dad who will drive me , and so far looks like the best option .
I know you can drive on keppra , it was just the brick wall that im against at the mo in regard to the possible seizure bit , i didnt have one that i or they are aware of , it all rests on the fact that i was discharged without having the results of the EEG availiable at the time , therefore should i even be on keppra , doc is doing what she can to find out , but its a case of red tape .
If i did its got to be 12 months seizure free to drive , but unless i am wired up for 12 months how can even they tell ?

Like i say my dad is there , but what is my best hope of insurance cover , if i have had the seizure then ins co will not entertain my current policy being ammended, i no longer have to be the policy holder surely , can my dad be the policy holder , does he have to state that it is a policy for business or what ?
This is where i am lost , any ideas ???

Rich 

johnny bravo

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 09:47:24 pm »
get a mobility scooter, attatch a trolley system on the back,    happy days ;)

johnny bravo

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2015, 09:51:44 pm »
how big is your round,

get someone off gumtree, driver,   and get work done as quick as you,s can.   less to pay your new labourer or apprentice..

lots of people looking for work on gumtree,     make sure they sign a agreement stating you are not responsible for any injuries,  sick pay etc.   covering yourself from any extra expense.

saves selling up

Matt.

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2015, 09:59:57 pm »
Get adverts out for experienced window cleaner with d/l.

This will be a start u can just sit in van of a day and take it easy, go speak to custards and do the canvassing.

I have read your posts lately and I wish u the best of luck with ur health. Which is ur priority, easy for someone else to say. I had 12 kidney stones removed, will be 2 years this summer and I worked threw the pain, but I wouldn't do it again. Ur situation is a lot more serious.

U can be a passenger an make sure all work is done.

Get adverts out tomora, job center or local paper.

Jonny 87

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2015, 10:16:38 pm »
P@F

My friend had this exact thing happen. He was diagnosed with night epilepsy and it stopped him driving.

I'm in Scotland, but there is a government scheme that works for this exact thing.

He was provided a driver from the job centre, and the government paid the drivers wages, he basically got a set wage every week for just driving my friend around to all his work.

It worked great for him as he didn't have to pay a penny.

The logic behind the scheme is that it prevents someone who is deemed unfit to drive to lose their business and have to go on the dole and start claiming benefits, instead they get someone who is out of work and claiming job seekers allowance, they get paid minimum wage for being a driver and it's almost a win win for everybody.

It's worth asking the question!
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

trippyboy

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2015, 10:23:06 pm »
feel for you mate

P @ F

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2015, 11:21:38 pm »
P@F

My friend had this exact thing happen. He was diagnosed with night epilepsy and it stopped him driving.

I'm in Scotland, but there is a government scheme that works for this exact thing.

He was provided a driver from the job centre, and the government paid the drivers wages, he basically got a set wage every week for just driving my friend around to all his work.

The logic behind the scheme is that it prevents someone who is deemed unfit to drive to lose their business and have to go on the dole and start claiming benefits, instead they get someone who is out of work and claiming job seekers allowance, they get paid minimum wage for being a driver and it's almost a win win for everybody.

Jonny , have you got any idea what the scheme was called , sounds like its worth a punt !

Rich

SeanK

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2015, 11:27:22 pm »
Mate just take on an employee who can do the driving for you, its better than giving up your business.
Plus this would mean you would have somebody with you should you take a bad turn in the future.
Hopefully you wont need the latter but its better to be safe than sorry.
Had a few health problems last year myself and know how stressful it can be when self employed and trying to
keep your hard built business from falling apart.
Hope things work out for you.

P @ F

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2015, 11:37:56 pm »
Mate just take on an employee who can do the driving for you, its better than giving up your business.
Plus this would mean you would have somebody with you should you take a bad turn in the future.
Hopefully you wont need the latter but its better to be safe than sorry.
Had a few health problems last year myself and know how stressful it can be when self employed and trying to
keep your hard built business from falling apart.
Hope things work out for you.

See what your saying , but really am on the edge of the big fall , money has all but gone , cant afford to take a chance on taking on another waste of space and money , i got away with it the first time i tried to expand , dont want to do that again in a rush really ,  just trying to see if other options are worth the thought .

Rich

Jonny 87

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2015, 07:36:51 am »
P@F

Jonny , have you got any idea what the scheme was called , sounds like its worth a punt !

Rich

I'll find out for you mate. I'll ask the question and get back to you.
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

jk999

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2015, 08:06:25 am »
Do you use van system or trolley,  if you use trolley why dont you get dropped off with enough bottles for your four hours work then you dont have to pay someone to be around you for four hours

Ian101

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2015, 08:26:47 am »
From what Ive read of your recent posts I think this is a kinda crossroads moment for you and your business.

If you have enough customers now is perhaps the time to employ even if its just a driver ? but if u employ a driver / cleaner the extra work you will get thru per day will free up your time for more canvassing / leaflets.

Who knows in 2 years time u may be office based with vans out working for you ? possible I think  :)

Good luck with it all

Window Lickers

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2015, 09:33:52 am »
but unless i am wired up for 12 months how can even they tell ?

You have a legal obligation  to disclose a seizure should one occur.
Liberace's ex looking to meet well built men for cottaging meets.

P @ F

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2015, 12:02:13 pm »
but unless i am wired up for 12 months how can even they tell ?

You have a legal obligation  to disclose a seizure should one occur.

I am fully aware and ok with this , the truth is , most people see a siezure as an epileptic fit if you like .
I had no such event , a seizure can come and go in a few seconds with no signs that it even occured , a simple pulse of electricity in the brain is all that happens , so if the person having this doesnt even know it happened , how can anybody else ?
As i said before , unless you are wired to an EEG machine for the 12 months that you are supposed to be seizure free its not a fair assesment surely .

This is what im up against and have to sort out !

Rich

Richard ham

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2015, 12:29:58 pm »
Rich, go clean some windows. If you didnt have an epileptic fit then there s nothing to declare to the insurance company. Youve been given the green light by the doctor, thats good enough. The doctor didnt say anything about driving i take it.?If not as before go clean some windows, im finishing early today if you want some company for a few hours. I should be done by 2pm at the latest.
Www.plymouth-window-cleaners.co.uk

P @ F

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2015, 01:30:33 pm »
Cheers for the offer Rich , but im out in a mo , taking advantage of the being on the sick bit , im gonna go get some new gnashers sorted out  ;D ;D ;D

Rich

neil mcnicholas

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2015, 02:14:37 pm »
don't no if your aware but you have to inform dvla if after a month of a stroke /tia you still have residual symtoms you will need to be assest by them if you do. I had a stroke first week January 2015 and ive surrendered my licence rather than them take it from me its easier to get it back when im ready I have balance and speech /memory issues so cant drive anymore till im fit enough https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/371935/INF188X3.pdf

PoleKing

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2015, 03:30:31 pm »
don't no if your aware but you have to inform dvla if after a month of a stroke /tia you still have residual symtoms you will need to be assest by them if you do. I had a stroke first week January 2015 and ive surrendered my licence rather than them take it from me its easier to get it back when im ready I have balance and speech /memory issues so cant drive anymore till im fit enough https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/371935/INF188X3.pdf

Why is it easier to get back if you've given it away rather than them taking it?
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

neil mcnicholas

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2015, 03:35:20 pm »
if your license is taken from you dvla tell you when you can reapply for it but if you surrender your license you can reapply when your ready tells all info on dvla web page

elite mike

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2015, 06:23:06 pm »
good luck with everything hope you get sorted soon.

PoleKing

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2015, 06:29:54 pm »
if your license is taken from you dvla tell you when you can reapply for it but if you surrender your license you can reapply when your ready tells all info on dvla web page

Interesting. Just had a lil butchers. Thanks.
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

Richard ham

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2015, 08:17:21 pm »
I second the mobility scooter idea, get it vinyl wrapped and a small trailer.:-)

P @ F

« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2015, 08:26:28 pm »

Yes that was the first site i visited when the hiccup came up , to this point there is no reason yet why i should have to inform them otherwise , i should however tell my insurance , but i am not doing this until i am either on the road again or in possesion of paperwork with the facts on , i am not going to pay any amendment costs or hikes in policy if it means when i get my results from the EEG i have to retire my liscence anyway , why should i pay more if im not even back behind the wheel , i cannot be held at blame for not going down the route set out by red tape , there is for now no evidence to say i am not playing ball !

Rich  

P @ F

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2015, 08:34:53 pm »
I second the mobility scooter idea, get it vinyl wrapped and a small trailer.:-)

Begins with P and ends in K
And its not PinK , you purple headed hand brush  ;D

Rich

Richard ham

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2015, 08:53:16 pm »

P @ F

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2015, 09:25:15 pm »
I was laughing when i saw this, but saw the possibilities.......http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1391807/All-aboard-worlds-tiniest-caravan--6ft-long-towed-mobility-scooter.html

Well it would appear that the answer has been stuck to my arse !

Rich

rick trinder

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2015, 09:38:39 pm »
hi rich. im sure i could help you out bud. i don't have a full round yet. so i can give you 4 hours twice a week? you are more than welcome to use my van, ie my insurance. please don't hesitate to give me a bell. you might even be doing me a favour!
always looking on the BRIGHTSIDE!