mick hay

another canvassing thread!!!
« on: January 09, 2013, 02:45:09 pm »
Ive always built my business on leaflets, but am thinking of giving canvassing a go.

Question tho, when using canvassers, do you let them quote, or just get the lead? Im thinking, of knocking with them, but calling me over to price up.

How do you do it?

Silver Surfer

Re: another canvassing thread!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 02:49:15 pm »
Ive always built my business on leaflets, but am thinking of giving canvassing a go.

Question tho, when using canvassers, do you let them quote, or just get the lead? Im thinking, of knocking with them, but calling me over to price up.

How do you do it?

See that Whizz-Bizz fella ;)

mick hay

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 02:50:42 pm »
lol, as long as can pay him after 2nd clean!!!

Silver Surfer

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 02:52:26 pm »
 :o
lol, as long as can pay him after 2nd clean!!!

Ian101

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 03:31:23 pm »

How do you do it?

im the opposite ... always built on canvassing now thinking of giving leafletting a try.

I think if you need a lot of customers quickly then canvassing way to go however now at picking and choosing stage and not in such a hurry so leaflets for a change.

Both methods work and both have their place.

Crystal-clear

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 03:57:16 pm »

How do you do it?

Yes this makes perfect sence , if u need a quick injection canvassing is the way to go , if you are quite happy to let the phone ring and let em trickle in then its leaflets
So it kinda depends where you are on the ladder so to speak no matter how you canvass you will always have certain customers who will take the p this is one of the downsides it will happen who ever you use or even if you do it yourself , on the plus side thou if you can just grit your teeth with the messers you will get Alot of leads/cleans very quickly that's the best way to refer to them until you filter them out

If you do speak to whizz bizz he will tell you this aswell how often do you hear canvassers who tell you about the problems first , recently I spoke to someone who wanted 3 cleans when I asked him what about cancelations he said customers only cancel if YOU have done something wrong what a load of Rubish customers will say anything to get out of a regular clean , whizz will over stock your lead flow and actually tell you expect to lose customers you should give him a bell you will be surprised how honest he is with first cleans his favourite line these days is "there will be problems" which is so true :)

im the opposite ... always built on canvassing now thinking of giving leafletting a try.

I think if you need a lot of customers quickly then canvassing way to go however now at picking and choosing stage and not in such a hurry so leaflets for a change.

Both methods work and both have their place.

roundbuilder

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 05:19:23 pm »
If you are mad enough to pay someone 2 cleans for canvassed work at least make sure they guarantee it for 3-4 cleans. Afterall it takes them only a few mins to get the customer. For a £10 job they get you earns the canvasser £20 just for talking for a min or 2. Most customers dont cancal after the first clean, even the 2nd. After 3 or 4 cleans you know where you stand a lot more. If a canvasser believs there own hot air coming out there mouth then guaranteeing it for 4 cleans but charging for 2 seems a proper fair way to go. Everyones a winner that way.

mick hay

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 05:56:31 pm »
Mick, with your canvassers, do you price the job or do they?

roundbuilder

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 06:04:15 pm »
Mick, with your canvassers, do you price the job or do they?

They price the jobs. I make my pricing easy. £10 front nomatter what size it is and they price accordingly for the backs ie, semi/terraced would be £5 extra making it a £15 house. Detached would be £10 extra making it a £20 house and so on. Also between £5-10 for concervatorie depending on size so a detached with a con would be £30 for me where other cleaners would be nearer £40 but i dont generally target bigger houses so not an issue.
Sometimes they end up slightly underpriced but i live with that as the amount of front only houses makes up for any slight price differences from the odd underpriced back.

Crystal-clear

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 07:11:54 pm »
Trouble is mick canvassers if they say its Guaranteed for so long that's where problems lie as u know most stick for 2

roundbuilder

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 07:51:06 pm »
Exactly probs will start after 2 cleans hence should be guaranteed for 4 cleans. If the canvasser is happy and confident there work is mustard then there will be little to no probs anyway dont you agree??.
The fact that ALL canvassing companies including myself when i did it guarantee for 2 cleans dont you find that strange??? It is because apart from the 1 off customers being grief the canvasser can have controll and knowledge that the ones that will cancal wont do it straight away, they are fine for a few cleans but then they decide they dont want a regular £10 + bill every month for life after the first 3-6 cleans, usualy its the husband who does this i find from the wife that gets signed up. Its common knowledge.
I know im right on this 1 and untill a canvasser says they will guarantee work for 4+ cleans charging 2 i will stand my ground that a canvasser looks at us as mugs!!! Hence them all preying on forums untill 1-2am prowling.

The way to stop this is simply to employ your own customer builder and pay under a clean preferably half a clean so at least if they do drop out you will always be quids in and not out of pocket as they wont be paid from the ones who change there mind before the first clean. Or better still canvass yourself.

roundbuilder

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 07:56:50 pm »

How do you do it?
That will work perfect if you do 1 side and canvasser does the other so he can call you over when he gets 1, also as your securing the lead you will get away paying minimal for he's effort.
 The way it works best is having 4 canvassers out, 2 on each side of the road bunnyhoping banging out the doors mass scale. In a good area you can get £500+ of new work in a night like that, just a shame they are far and few between.

Crystal-clear

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 08:27:18 pm »
Hehe mick I can't disagree its true if a real 4 clean Guarantee was backed up it wouldnt be a problem paying 2x I always say pay a canvasser what you can afford to loose if that means you want to be in profit from the first clean then so be it trouble is its hard to strike those sort of deals with people long term ,

Its funny you say preying till 2am we have seen so many come n go posting late , ;) thing is whizz is a decent guy tho he ain't trying to stitch anyone up by saying every customer is a perfect one I've met and delt with so many dodgey canvassers if I ever need more canvassed work mark @ whizz is the guy I call its always worked for me but I do get a very good deal that's just cos I was one of the first he stays at mine and we also have a good laugh he finds it well funny when I drive into nightmare terraced estates and drive right out lol I'm like yeah no thanks :)

But we are all in this game for the money end of the day he is trying to expand I'm not gona comment on his prices because i do get a better deal but I will say he knows all the tricks to keep customers ,fronts, charging more on the first clean ,not giving the customer what they want ie customer says full house he sometimes says no just the front as that way we are more Likly to get more cleans out of them ,he is very good it's just such a shame that the customers are in total controll that's where the problem lies its no Secret I do think paying 200% ain't always worth it I've always said that however in all honesty if I was only offered that price I would still use him but only about 2-3x a year and that's pretty much what he is looking for I really don't think there is anyone better out there ! I think he has had a couple of bookings already since he joined hope those work out ok !
So maybe I take that back I think with him 2x isn't too bad , because he gets Alot of fronts so you can later convert

roundbuilder

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2013, 08:46:17 pm »
Whizz sounds a good bloke to be fair, i havnt tore him in half like i normally do lol. Hopefully he will soon realize he could build he's own empire up instead of building everyone elses. A permenent flow of regular money is much better than a quick canvassing 1 off payment.

Crystal-clear

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2013, 08:53:11 pm »
Whizz sounds a good bloke to be fair, i havnt tore him in half like i normally do lol. Hopefully he will soon realize he could build he's own empire up instead of building everyone elses. A permenent flow of regular money is much better than a quick canvassing 1 off payment.

Lol mick yea u normally take canvassers to the cleaners really blunt with em :)I've mentioned this to him too something he might do one day!

Window Washers

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2013, 10:56:22 pm »
Trouble is mick canvassers if they say its Guaranteed for so long that's where problems lie as u know most stick for 2
theyvstick for 4 if you add that in conversation ;)
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

Crystal-clear

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2013, 12:32:17 pm »
theyvstick for 4 if you add that in conversation ;)

Did this once wasn't 4 we asked 3 on the 3rd clean we had an unusual amount of cancelations because you programe them to cancel, also they don't all listen some see it as another form of weakness and will enjoy canceling when they want to Ie after the first , the best way is simple the relaxed Approach "you can have us for as long as you are quite satisfied" also drop in even thou we clean to a high standard we know we can't please everyone that says to them dont be unreasonable I like to mention "for better results be under no Illusion your windows are dirty they will need a 2nd clean"
The thing is customers will do what ever they see fit I've had so many people blatantly lie to me I try to spend as little time as possible on the door as I know it's 50-50 used to look at Individuals now I only look at them as numbers ,

Whizz-Bizz

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2013, 01:32:54 pm »
The age old question what to pay the canvasser, personally I think if you get one thats a bit special you should chuck money at him like its going out of fashion  :o Id love to garantee all work for 4 cleans but theres so many things that are out of everyones control in window cleaning this is the problem. Also if a canvasser offered that to an un reasonable cleaner its suicide. Crystal will confirm Ive had to deal with some burke cleaners heres a great example I had one guy who I got 4 jobs on one road for, he turns up and sees another cleaner working on that road, then rings me saying Im not doing that street I dont work on other peoples patches and expected a refund.Well sorry fella theres a cleaner on every road in the country is my response.
Even me and Crystal have had some raging ding dongs in the van over him going into kill mode after a bad customer, because I know the rest of the street gets beasted. Its only natural when someone is extremely passionate about what they do, but the canvasser pays the price.

Please no one take offence to this but I have a saying about what alot of cleaners believe "When a job goes bad thats entirely down to the canvasser being a moron and when a job goes well thats all down to the amazing cleaning skills of the cleaner"

Canvassers are damned if they do and damned if they dont.   
Marketing solutions for window cleaners
https://www.facebook.com/WhizzBizzSales

Crystal-clear

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2013, 01:39:51 pm »
That's true too lol, it's almost how u can never win you turn out to be the evil one no matter what also forgot to say if you canvass on the regular side and people say no but ill have a one off or try it first you would be supposed that those are the best ones just finished cleaning a £20 house that wanted to try it "one off for now" guess what 2 years later gate always open cheque under the mat so that's another reason why I would canvass down the minimum clean term you will defo miss out

roundbuilder

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2013, 01:48:00 pm »
The age old question what to pay the canvasser, personally I think if you get one thats a bit special you should chuck money at him like its going out of fashion  :o Id love to garantee all work for 4 cleans but theres so many things that are out of everyones control in window cleaning this is the problem. Also if a canvasser offered that to an un reasonable cleaner its suicide. Crystal will confirm Ive had to deal with some burke cleaners heres a great example I had one guy who I got 4 jobs on one road for, he turns up and sees another cleaner working on that road, then rings me saying Im not doing that street I dont work on other peoples patches and expected a refund.Well sorry fella theres a cleaner on every road in the country is my response.
Even me and Crystal have had some raging ding dongs in the van over him going into kill mode after a bad customer, because I know the rest of the street gets beasted. Its only natural when someone is extremely passionate about what they do, but the canvasser pays the price.

Please no one take offence to this but I have a saying about what alot of cleaners believe "When a job goes bad thats entirely down to the canvasser being a moron and when a job goes well thats all down to the amazing cleaning skills of the cleaner"

Canvassers are damned if they do and damned if they dont.   

Thats where you need to be more professionable and call up the cancelations and find out there reason.
Not being funny wizz but canvassers get paid a bloody lot of money for spending seconds at the door. You are blatently conning people by not guaranteeing it for longer than 2 cleans. as you know they generally stick out the first few cleans before they realise they dont want the comitment.
Be a nice lad and offer something that all the failed canvassers didnt.
If not ill advertise my services on here to canvass for 2x and guarantee for 3 cleans and wipe you out the water with your upfront fee's etc lol. (I wont but i easily could if i didnt have my business to run).
You can easily make a grand a week for doing 2 hours a night canvassing on your own, even more if you have big canvassing teams going out with you so why cant you guarantee for more than 2 cleans??? The answer is you know your mugging people off at that frequency. The downside is that people will stop using your services as they will work out in the long run with maybe 50% cancaling over the first 4 months they are actualy paying 4 cleans for the work that has stuck for them.  Making a canvasser a total conman. I know how it works.