hank jr

Advice for a new window cleaner please
« on: May 03, 2011, 08:16:24 pm »
Hi all im new here and im new to window cleaning. i was collecting and canvassing for a good mate but him and his business partner are going through a dilemma at the moment over who owns how much of the business etc etc. this has put me out a job to cut a long story short. so ive decided to go it alone, ive canvassed some work up and bought all my gear and im on a crash course for learning window cleaning . I start working this coming monday.... i feel quite nervous because some customers have lead strip windows and im not sure how to deal with them.... has anyone got any tips to learn me quickly.... Thanks in advance

GB Window Cleaning

Re: Advice for a new window cleaner please
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 09:27:20 pm »
just use scrim mate, wet scrim first then buff up with your dry scrim, also price abit higher for leaded glass as it takes abit longer!

hank jr

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 09:40:42 pm »
just use scrim mate, wet scrim first then buff up with your dry scrim, also price abit higher for leaded glass as it takes abit longer!

Hey thanks for sharing the tip - really appreciate it. i was just going to use a spray bottle and a microfibre cloth. is this just as good?

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 06:51:34 am »
ive never seen anyone using a spray bottle mate, sounds like too much effort probably! your better off with a proper windys belt including a bucket on a belt, squeegy and t-bar applicator, and in your pouch(s) dry and wet scrim.

the first clean on leaded, clean the frame with your damp cloth first then soap the  leaded glass up (go over the glass twice on first clean too) then take off most of the moistier with your damp scrim, then finally buff up with your dry!

thats what i do

on maintenance cleans there after just wet wipe frames, wet glass with damp scrim then shine/buff up with your dry scrim!

one last thing mate id avoid this board and post in "Window Cleaning Issues" in the future as noone really looks at this!

all the best
GB

hank jr

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 10:09:59 am »
Thanks again, your a real good help. im taking all this in and im going to be putting it to use on monday! thanks again.

hank jr

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 11:09:42 pm »
ive never seen anyone using a spray bottle mate, sounds like too much effort probably! your better off with a proper windys belt including a bucket on a belt, squeegy and t-bar applicator, and in your pouch(s) dry and wet scrim.

the first clean on leaded, clean the frame with your damp cloth first then soap the  leaded glass up (go over the glass twice on first clean too) then take off most of the moistier with your damp scrim, then finally buff up with your dry!

thats what i do

on maintenance cleans there after just wet wipe frames, wet glass with damp scrim then shine/buff up with your dry scrim!

one last thing mate id avoid this board and post in "Window Cleaning Issues" in the future as noone really looks at this!

all the best
GB

sorry to bug you again , i got some grade A scrim today so should i use this to do the buffing up, and can i just use an old towel or somthing for damping down frames etc...

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 08:22:55 am »
yes mate perfect. wash the scrim first though before you use it! any old cloth with do for frames and sills!

AuRavelling79

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 11:21:54 pm »
Another bit of advice - try "window cleaning issues" for questions as it is a bit slow in here.
It's a game of three halves!

paul kitchiner

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 10:54:10 pm »
I use a tile and window cleaner by astonish. 2 micro cloths for applying and rubbing off and the window and lead come up brilliantly

dave f

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 04:54:03 pm »
i used to use damp scrim and a mico fiber cloth not the chepies you get at asda. these cos tabout 7 or 8 quid last ages money well spent

tom cronin

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 08:03:22 pm »
For leaded windows I always used damp scrim, mr. Muscle and dry scrim. Always came out the b******s  :P

Archer

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 07:21:30 pm »
Hank jnr,

if you need anymore advice you can give me a call and i would be willing to give you my advice.

i have 25years experience

brynley

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 07:09:25 pm »
spray bottle and micro cloth works very well, for me it is better than scrim

johnny bravo

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 06:03:52 pm »
check your scrims are pre washed   or you may have to boil   keep the water for a good broth stock.!

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2012, 05:45:48 pm »
I buy b&q's decorators dust sheet, the stairs width one. Cut it into 1m lengths and sew the edges to stop fraying. Works just as well as scrim but remember to prewash it.