matt jones

Re: M Power
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2007, 04:46:26 pm »
it would seem to make sense in a way

Matt Lindus

« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2007, 05:15:07 pm »
Ok Ok, M - Power is as good as water. It has NO emulsifiers, electrostatic discharges etc ect.
So therefore unlike a detergent what gets to work on contact breaking down and dissolving soils and emulsifying oils, it just sits there like water doing nothing.

What is needed to compensate for this lack of chemical reaction is agitation and plenty of it. When using M-Power your as good as trying to clean a carpet with plain water only, there is no chemical reaction just the abrasives of the liquid when it is driven hard into the pile with a mechanical device.

With an in-tank detergent little or no agitation is needed and more often than not, no pre spray is required. The chemical is working for you all the time you are wanding. Emulsifying and dissolving deep within the pile of the carpet.

Matt

Doug Holloway

« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2007, 05:27:21 pm »
Hi Guys

If the product encapsulates etc and also biodegrades within 14 days then how can it do both without releasing the dirt back into the carpet.

In practice it must be better to extract to remove both the dirt and the colloid surfactant.

Cheers

Doug

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2007, 05:32:04 pm »
Matt

I feel that your understanding of these new generation colloidal products is flawed.

From my understanding, Goron's explanation is spot on. M Power requires only nominal mechanical agitation to aid distribution of the product whereas earlier generation micro-splitters require more agitation (correctly done, not a bad thing in itself). Colloidal products will agitate themselves, which breaks down the soil to microscopic proportions. I believe that Nemesis works in a similar way.

If you would like to learn more of this new type of product, which I feel is not an easy product to initially use, I would suggest contacting the manufacturer as they do run hands-on technical days, you'll then be able to see, learn and try for yourself.

Dene
Yes

Safe and happy cleaning :)
Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

Ken Wainwright

Re: M - Power
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2007, 05:41:56 pm »
Doug

The recomendation is that extraction should be performed. This is by HWE, Pad or dry vac. Even after HWE, advice is that the carpet should not be then dry vacced for 3 days if possible as the very small amount of residues continue to work and benefits will be seen.

From the small amount of use I have given this product, mainly on my own wool carpets, I would agree with the manufacturers claim.

Presumably because of the low moisture retention property of Olefin, this would explain why my use on this fibre has not been too successful. I gather there have been minor "tweeks" to help with this fibre, but I haven't tried a new batch.

Safe and happy cleaning :)
Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2007, 05:49:23 pm »
M-POWER CAME THIS MORNING, WHAT CAN I SAY " 1ST CLASS " WILL BE USING
IT ALL THE TIME FROM NOW. ;D

STEPHEN

Ian Puckett

« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2007, 08:15:11 pm »
theirs none so def as those that dont want to here and none so blind as those that dont want to see. mat lindus will not be convinsed because he dose not want to be. if it was only water then them that use it must have been hipnotised of something.

ianharper

« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2007, 08:21:50 pm »
only one thing with M-power dwell time, dwell time, dwell time, lots of cleaners will not wait thats why they get rubbish results.

CARPET KNIGHTS

« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2007, 08:53:14 pm »
I find the dwell time beneficial for me. I can prepare large areas at a time like three to for rooms at a time then switch on the tm and extract unlike standard MS where extraction should be as close to agitation as possible. Detergents need dwell to work properly infact my iicrc instructor told me that he felt in tank detergents were nothing but a con to your customers as they are not given the correct dwell time to work effectively

Cheers Goron

carpetguy

« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2007, 11:14:09 pm »
When I first found out about colloidals, about 6 years ago, I obtained a sample, but it was as thick as syrup, so I never got to experimemt.

Can anyone give an opinion on the similarity, or otherwise, of Nemesis, to M Power.

Doug Holloway

« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2007, 08:06:42 am »
Hi Guys,

Lets not forget that detergents and colloids are both surfactants.

Cheers

Doug

*paul_moss

« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2007, 10:41:34 am »
Surfactants are wetting agents that lower the surface tension of a liquid, allowing easier spreading, and lower the interfacial tension between two liquids.

A surfactant is briefly defined as a material that can greatly reduce the surface tension of water when used in very low concentrations
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

carpetguy

« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2007, 04:01:23 pm »
Do colloids not go a bit further .............do they not release the soiling , then encapsulate it, or hold it in suspension, allowing it to be extracted, within the carrier, ie, water.

John Kelly

« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2007, 04:10:48 pm »
In laymans terms:
The active ingredients in colloids are small chemical chains called Mycelles. One end hates water and the other, stronger loves water. The end that hates water attaches itself to dirt and grease hoping to escape from the water, however the water loving side is stronger and eventually (dwell time) pulls the dirt into the water where it is held in suspension. This is happening on a minute scale thousands of times on each fibre. This is why the water is a vital part of the reaction and I believe the reason for sometimes poor results on Poly Prop. Being a filament the solution does not cling to it as it does Wool and therefore the product is not in contact with the dirt for long enough to work.
Even though the dilution rates are very high for the products available the resulting mixture is still very potent and still very viscous.

chrisg

« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2007, 07:20:06 pm »
Surfactants are wetting agents that lower the surface tension of a liquid, allowing easier spreading, and lower the interfacial tension between two liquids.

A surfactant is briefly defined as a material that can greatly reduce the surface tension of water when used in very low concentrations

just to add to that,

allowing water to then pass through fibres easier, thus cleaning better than just water.

Thins the water, basically.

*paul_moss

« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2007, 07:53:04 pm »
In laymans terms:
The active ingredients in colloids are small chemical chains called Mycelles. One end hates water and the other, stronger loves water. The end that hates water attaches itself to dirt and grease hoping to escape from the water, however the water loving side is stronger and eventually (dwell time) pulls the dirt into the water where it is held in suspension. This is happening on a minute scale thousands of times on each fibre. This is why the water is a vital part of the reaction and I believe the reason for sometimes poor results on Poly Prop. Being a filament the solution does not cling to it as it does Wool and therefore the product is not in contact with the dirt for long enough to work.
Even though the dilution rates are very high for the products available the resulting mixture is still very potent and still very viscous.
John this is the same for all  other detergents as this is how they attach them selves to soil,grease etc hence enabling movement on extraction.

If you put anything greasy/ oily in a bowl of water and then add a squirk of plain washing up liquid you will see this.
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk

davep

« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2007, 08:12:22 pm »
Does anyone use any other products along with M power or Super Nemesis, like a degreaser or tank booster?

Len Gribble

« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2007, 08:15:11 pm »
Not knocking colloidal route standing on the sideline, don’t get many wools or 80/20 mix carpets now days.

Ken

When you say manufacture don’t you mean supplier with there brand name,
Sorry to be pedantic. ;)

Rob

Probably come from the same chemical plant then via a distributor who waters it down (ok mixes it) then onto the company who promotes it. ;D

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

*paul_moss

« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2007, 08:23:14 pm »
Not knocking colloidal route standing on the sideline, don’t get many wools or 80/20 mix carpets now a days.

Len

Len ive heard you have a secret stash of M Power and even shower in it.  :D
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk

John Kelly

« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2007, 08:59:06 pm »
Paul, yes you are right thats how most detergents work. It is just about differences in the chemical chains. Colloids act at a much smaller scale. Some call it nanotechnology.