Londoner

Televisions....and all those wires
« on: July 24, 2004, 12:05:00 pm »
I know I can't be the only one who shudders every time I look behind a TV set. Modern systems with video. DVD satellite plus the speakers etc etc.
Wiring looks like it was done by a maniac and judging by the dust the LOH hasn't been behind there with the Dyson in years.

Do you leave it alone which looks unprofessional or move it and risk pulling out some of the wires?

Mark Betts

Re: Televisions....and all those wires
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2004, 02:54:55 pm »
"Leaving Alone" , does not look unprofessional if you explain to the customer the risk of moving the tv.

I explain the pros and cons to the customer and 9 times out of ten the tv is moved away from the wall when I arrive to clean.

Because of the wires and subsequent pending disaster regarding electricity and water !!!!!!  I just dry vac behind the tv or maybe lightly spray and "bonnet" with a terry towel.

I then ask the customer to help me slide the tv back into place.

Asking them to help you move the item eliminates the risk of being blamed for any damage later on.

Mark

A Dog Isnt Just For Christmas.........  Save a Bit For Boxing Day  !!!!!

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2004, 03:03:47 pm »
My method exactly..................see Mark is smarter than he looks ;)

Mark Betts

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2004, 03:16:53 pm »
Really ???

Nahhhhhh

A Dog Isnt Just For Christmas.........  Save a Bit For Boxing Day  !!!!!

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2004, 03:38:55 pm »
At least i can make a negative comment here (joking or not) without getting a rollicking or having my post deleted. ;D

Dynafoam

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2004, 03:44:36 pm »
Mark & Chris,

That is a sensible approach.

It should also be noted that many of the large TVs that are currently available have stands which are not of sufficient strength to be safely moved without going to the unreasonable extent of dissembly.

John.

Jim_Lynch

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2004, 04:13:47 pm »
I don't move TVs, entertainment units, computers etc...most people don't want to pull out cords etc, so there generally is not a problem.

Jim
Jim Lynch
ChemDry Supreme
Brisbane,Queensland
AUSTRALIA

Derek

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2004, 08:11:41 pm »
Mark

That is the tack I take with moving TV's...get the customer involved in moving it... let them  feel that they are taking charge with you as the willing assistant.. as you say any problems... the buck stops with them ;)

Derek

Len Gribble

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2004, 10:13:03 pm »
I always tell customers what I will move and what I wont TV’s is a no no. went a quoted a job today would have trouble moving it covered the wall.

Yesterday came unstuck customer put more or less every thing on bed and expected me to move it ;D

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)