cleanability

Shrunk a carpet.......but
« on: July 20, 2004, 11:30:04 pm »
Cleaned lots of polyprop wiltons and not shrunk them. Clean even more wool Axminsters and not shrunk them. In fact I'm utra careful.  Anyway, cleaned a wool Axminster for a customer. She was a person who never opened her windows I think. Was very stuffy in her house. When I left I said to her to leave the window open a bit and don't close the doors. Anyway, I suspect she did the opposite. Shut the doors and closed the windows. Could this have caused the shrinkage?

Ps      there was very little shrinkage and was sorted out with a wider metal strip in her doorway where the shrinkage was worse .

Chris  

paulchambers

Re: Shrunk a carpet.......but
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2004, 11:36:34 pm »
Correct me if i'm wrong i thought it was only belguim wilton that could  be shrunk

cleanability

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2004, 11:44:40 pm »
Well Wool Axminsters and Wiltons will shrink if you wet them enough surely.

paul@ctcs

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2004, 11:49:09 pm »
If the jute absorbs water it will increase in diameter causing the carpet to contract / shrink.

Paul

cleanability

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2004, 12:08:53 am »
Thanx Paul
        But what I'm getting at is.........did the fact that this customer may have shut all the doors and windows on the room where the carpet was, could have led to the shrinkage happening....i.e nowhere for the water to go except stay in the carpet longer than would be the case if there was adequate ventilation.

Chris

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2004, 12:50:41 am »
Closing down the ventilation will not have helped but without telling you how to suck eggs an air mover/ turbo drier would be a good investment and if unsure always more dry strokes.

Shaun

cleanability

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2004, 02:29:09 am »
Shaun
     Point taken. Always use dry strokes on every job, even more so on Axminsters. Got an air mover. But tell you the truth it hardly ever gets used. I just find them a problem. From blowing pictures off the wall and dust and ash from fires to breaking anything else thats not tied down.

thanx     Chris

Phil Marlor

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2004, 02:41:31 am »

An Axminster will shrink within minutes of cleaning if its not gripped down.

They come away easily from door finishing bars if not correctly fitted to.

This is more likely to be the cause than un-opened windows.

Phil
Stevenage, Herts

LUTON TOWN 3-0 SUNDERLAND

Dynafoam

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2004, 04:59:20 am »
Chris,

The most important drying stroke you can make is the one where you are spraying water into  the carpet. Get the first stroke wrong and all you will be doing is struggleing to rectify a problem you have created.

Think of it this way - water from the jets hits the carpet and 1/2 second later the vacuum slot collects a proportion of the water.

Later, we'll say 6 seconds, you make a drying stroke. What has happened during that 6 seconds? If the water left by the cleaning stroke is more than the pile can hold, it has started its' journey into the backing nad perhaps beyond. The chances of recovering this water has diminished, and with a subsequent drying stroke you are into a situation of deminishing returns.

This is part of the reason for the Belgian Wilton problem - the amount of water that can be held by polypropolene is very small.

I am not saying that a drying stroke is a waste of time, just that except in a flood situation twenty drying strokes will not recover measurably more water than one, and that the cleaning stroke is by far the one where 'wandsmanship' is critical.

John.

PS. An airmover, combined with proper ventilation can make a tremendous difference to the evaporation rate of the water you leave behind.  If you've spent the money, get the benefits.

Derek

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2004, 11:50:51 am »
Hi

Following on from 'brother' John's comments...

remember that with woven carpets the backing fibres are an intregral part of the construction and are therefore in direct contact with the face fibres...wet the face fibres and you are wetting the backing yarns too.

Cheers
Derek