Les

Is it just me or ......?
« on: July 19, 2004, 11:02:55 pm »
Do any of you good people try to be obliging and then regret it afterwards.
I agreed to clean the reception carpet at a Sports Centre today....whilst they were open  :o . I did the same thing last year for the same people and said then "Never again" after discovering that they had about a dozen schools arriving for swimming classes during the day, all of course walking backwards and forwards over the carpet as I cleaned it  >:( :-X :-/
Bloody disaster !
Anyway back I went, assured that it would be okay this time....... :P I even took someone with me to get done nice & quick.
Unfortunately it was much of the same and the carpet tiles were so ingrained with soiling that try as I might the soiling kept re-appearing and looked a bit of a mess. (any suggestions from your own experience)?. The staff were okay about it and were absolutely amazed at the filth that came out, (of the carpet not me  ;D). I wasn't happy as I like to do a good job.
I won't be going back in a rush that's for sure.
How about yourselves ?
Les

Dynafoam

Re: Is it just me or ......?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2004, 11:56:42 pm »
Les,

Firstly consider the health and safety implications of cleaning whilst there is such heavy traffic - both to yourself and those passing through the area - not worth the risk.

Secondly, carpet tiles with heavilly ingrained soil can be cleaned by HWE, but will frequently dry out looking worse than before the clean. This can often be overcome by bonneting dry about 15-20 minutes after  the clean (dependant on drying times), but many prefer to clean by one of the low-moisture systems to avoid activating the deep soil. If LM cleaning is performed correctly and at the right intervals it can maintain the appearace of such areas to an acceptable degree.

John.

Glynn

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2004, 12:22:23 am »
It may produce an acceptable appearance but it does not "clean" it if you know what I mean.Then leading to an eventual build up of soils of which can only be removed by HWE and preferably TM.
imo.

Regards

Glynn
Regards
Glynn

Len Gribble

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2004, 01:10:58 am »
Les

I’ve been there, seen it done it and had it done to me, and never again as John pointed out HS. I take it that this location was run by the local authority they should know better; then again most if not all are 2x4. On this type of work, are on my terms only or I will walk away HS can play a big part in commercial cleaning cover your back side.

Can’t really comment on resoling as you don’t mention what cleaning method you are using, but if only done once a year hwe and charge for it.

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Dynafoam

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2004, 01:46:58 am »
Glynn,

I can't argue with your comment but the HWE clean MUST be thorough.

I maintain several such areas with a HWE clean once a year and a bonnet clean in between, however I know of fusioneers who heve been cleaning these tiles in a commercial environment for years without ever resorting to HWE.

The reason behind my answer was that if Les was unable to remove all the ingrained soil by HWE,

carpet tiles were so ingrained with soiling that try as I might the soiling kept re-appearing and looked a bit of a mess

then the result would be of better apearance by going the LM route or at least catching the wick-back with a bonnet..

John.

Len Gribble

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2004, 02:19:03 am »
What make any one think that he is using hwe or lm systems he my be using host type system though categorised as lm, more info needed by Les

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Dynafoam

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2004, 02:24:26 am »
Len,

Because I've heard the story so many times - always with low-power HWE.

John.

PS. Has the package arrived?

Len Gribble

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2004, 09:20:15 am »
John

Not yet probably today

Was in Ashby’s yesterday Derek sends he’s regards.

Len

Les

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2004, 12:30:59 pm »
Thanks as always for your valued and helpful comments.
I did use HWE and wick back with the hard backed tiles seemed to be the main problem. I take on board your idea of Bonnet Drying afterwards.
The comments on H & S are very elevant. Although we erected a Steel Barrier, Cones and Warning Signs people still continued to clamber over Leads & Hoses with their 2 year old child trailing on behind.
Another issue is the severe lack of regular quality cleaning on site. I only get to do the carpets, as and when. The staff appear to do the cleaning in a cursory fashion leavng the place looking a mess. (that's another subject).
In a nutshell, I took some digital photo's showing the colour of the water extracted and I am putting them together with a letter, (and Invoice) ;) listing my concerns.
Thanks again for the input.
Les ;)