Dave_Lee

Upholstery Colour Loss.
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2004, 08:43:36 pm »
Hi All,
Thought those of you who may have been interested in this subject, should have an update.
I never did find out why the suite changed colour, though I'm almost certain it was due to an unstable dye in the fabric being removed, when cleaned. All the de-brown treatments made no difference, and this to me is why I can rule out cellulosic browning.
Anyway, finally gave in - I put it in the hands of my insurance company and they are going to replace it with a new, like for like. My excess is £250, so not exactly jumping through hoops. My first claim for anything of this nature since I started nearly 25 ago. Could have cost a lot more had I not been insured - Get the message.
Dave.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."

Derek

Re: Upholstery Colour Loss.
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2004, 10:05:47 am »
Dave

Could you get me a damaged cushion cover please...I would love to have a look at this fabric ...I have a lovely rogues gallery of problem fabrics that I have collected from various sources over the years and it is by obtaining these and working on them that I have managed to find solutions to some of the problems

Cheers
Derekl

Big_Fish

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2004, 11:04:24 am »
Hi,

Technical information apart, the 2 month gap screams out to me that she's trying it on.

Check with your insurance company what their response would be if they were to be called in. I suspect that the amount of time allowed to lapse before initial complaint would go against any claim that she made against you.

If it was a genuine fault with your service, any customer would surely be on the phone straight away.

BFN

woodman

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2004, 08:26:21 pm »
Dave

If insurance is replacing it so in effect you now own it :'(

If you can be bothered, id get round and pull it out the day the new suite is delivered and get the fabric looked at and checked over by some like  Derek.

Then again you might want to put the whole affair behind you and just move on ;)

Dave_Lee

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2004, 10:28:04 pm »
Woodman,
You are dead right with your last para.
I may however speak to the insurance company regarding the offending suite, could always light a big bonfire with it, after Ive removed Dereks cushion cover of course.
Dave.
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.

Len Gribble

« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2004, 10:51:46 pm »
Dave

BFN has a point!

I was once in a predicament called in the experts It was my fault so I paid up, but have a friend who I went to court with over a rug it was thrown out due to the credibility of the person who wrote a report on it.

If I were you, I would pass the piece on to Derek and let him have a look; it can’t do any harm if just for peace of mind. Then I would fight if I were proven right then I’m an Aries. ;D ;D

Len

Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Glynn

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2004, 10:58:10 pm »
Doesn't the insurance co now own it ?
Dave could probably get it off them for free though.

Glynn
Regards
Glynn

Derek

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2004, 09:36:39 am »
Guys

I am sure that we have all been in a situation such as this at some point and you are right...we just want to move on.

I have an enquiring mind and a lot of our problems stem from manufacturers changing the chemical processes during manufacture... I feel it is important that if we can we find out just what is causing the problem so that at the very least we can avoid it on the next occasion

Derek  

Dave_Lee

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2004, 04:44:47 pm »
The final outcome:-
I evenually put it in the hands of my insurance company, and basically they settled. They based the settlement figure on their policy of reinstatement to the position, as it was before the item was cleaned.
The replacement quote as supplied by the client was £1850 thereabouts, they deducted 6 years wear & tear and ended up at £1197 of which I have to pay £250.
Telephoned the client today and she has reluctantly agreed to accept this sum, provided she is allowed to keep the settee and chair, that is the subject of the claim.
Yes, I know what many will thinking, thought the same myself, so sorry Derek - no cushion cover I'm afraid.
Dave.
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.

Big_Fish

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2004, 06:06:33 pm »
Sorry it went this way.
Best to put it down to experience and move on :)

BF Nicky

Dynafoam

« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2004, 06:45:51 pm »
Dave,

I am sure you were as surprised at the offer made by the insurance company as I was. It seems unusually generous for a six-year old suite.

So now she spends a small part of the settlement on throws and pockets the balance.

The real villain of the piece gets off scot-free.

There, but for the grace of God.............................

Derek

« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2004, 07:26:38 pm »
Guys and Gals

This is not an uncommon story...... The customer, who may well have a legitimate grievance, suddenly sees "NEW SUITE/CARPET" up in lights before their eyes.

All sense and reason goes out of the window in their relentless pursuit of this 'new' goal... and Yes, it was an extremely generous settlement

Derek