ISM_CLEANING

Carpet cleaning pricing
« on: June 23, 2004, 03:41:17 pm »
Hello to all,
I would like to ask peoples views on pricing commercial and domestic carpet cleaning, I run a small office cleaning company and have done for the past seven years. I have decided to think about the dry fusion system and should be having a demo soon. I used to do carpet cleaning when i started (hwe).
I always used to quote on how long i thought it would take me then hourly charge.
Instead of sub contracting out i now want to go ahead and do the carpets(mostly tiles) again myself.

I was thinking of pricing by square metre this time but would like to ask what is the average charge per square metre and also do you allow for unmovable office furniture and partitions etc and deduct from final figure.

Have read lots about dry fusion on forum but is there any real negatives about it.

Many thanks

Ian Mckenzie

Ken Wainwright

Re: Carpet cleaning pricing
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2004, 08:05:02 pm »
Hi Ian

I do a fair amount of office tiles, and primarily I use Dry Fusion. On their training course, D/F reckon that you could charge as low as 60p sq.M and make a profit. For my set up, regardless of the size of the premise, I wouldn't be interested in the price sensitive area of the industry. I'm not saying that Dry Fusion advocate charging 60p, just that it's possible.

My approach is to quote initially for a "restorative" clean at full price. With the quotation, I would also include advice and quotation for a maintenance plan. As long as it's about 200sq.M+ I would do this at approx half the price of the restorative clean. When I started with Dry Fusion, consumables were a little more expensive than they are now (some things do come down!) and I was keen to build up a client base for my new service. On one site I was charging as low as £1 for maintenance at 6 months. I'm now charging considerably more but won't discuss my prices in public.

I feel that a business decision for an office cleaning company to venture into Dry Fusion is sound and viable. It's easy, low cost training is availble, and can be exceptionally profitable. All you need to do now is go out and sell it.

Safe and happy cleaning:)
Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

ISM_CLEANING

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2004, 04:59:48 pm »
Thanks for your reply ken,

Do you also use dry fusion for domestic work and are there any types of carpet it does not work as well with.

Ian

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2004, 06:25:08 pm »
Hi Ian

Yes, I do use Dry Fusion for residential work, but usually it's for a technical reason, eg shrinkage risk, or because it suits me to.  eg an upper floor flat and no lift. Today I cleaned 27sqM of Brinton's Bell Twist that isn't fitted great. I do it twice a year and no problems. HWE does. To be honest, I always enjoy using HWE on domestics, but also enjoy the D/F. What I don't like about any pad system is removing the lint/fluff from them, especially after wool carpets. You usually find that any time advantage on site is lost when you consider the time spent laundering and de-fluffing. As for carpets that don't respond too well, I can't think of any that spring to mind. I wouldn't use it on black hardtop in licensed premises. It would do the job but would take too much time and too many pads. It's more a case of being a true professional and using the most appropriate system for a given job.

Safe and happy cleaning:)
Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

ISM_CLEANING

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2004, 12:48:37 pm »
Hi Ken

Thanks for the advice, I just received my copy of cleaning and maintinence magazine and noticed the texatherm ad so i may look into that aswell.

As with everybody i want to offer customers a premier service but being profitable and labour saving to myself.

Decisions...decisions.....!

Thanks again

Ian