Zach

Why do we say...Starting a new business?
« on: June 21, 2004, 06:55:40 pm »
I've only posted once or twice here, probably because I find so much to read and get through, but a couple of things have started standing out for me.
As per a previous post of mine, I am starting out in this industry and in no ways an old pro like most of you - hence why I read in order to learn.

I figured that it would be best to first get a handle on the industry. By that I mean, spending some time on entry level courses like the NCCA. Organising to spend a day or two with existing practitioners on live jobs - to see how it works in practice and whether its what I really want to do. Examine the various equipment suppliers and see what spread of equipment is available to the industry. All this before I actually commit to making the purchase and completely committing myself financially to a new path. Not that I want to appear hesitant, but the more I read here and the more I work out what it is I want to do within the industry, the more I realise that 'starting a carpet cleaning business' can be one of the most bizarre things to say. In my mind at any rate.

If I am to commit myself to this industry, and I fully intend to, then I ask myself to what ultimate purpose. Am I doing this in order to clean carpets? Possibly to earn a living? Find something to be busy with everyday?

The question I am asking myself is this (and thanks for your patience while I took the long way around to get here) - am I starting a business or am I starting a new job?

If I intend to create an enterprise that can stand alone from me - then I am starting a business. Conversely, if I am looking to clean carpets everyday, then I am designing a job for myself. The one becomes its own entity that creates value within itself - in order to be resold later and the other creates a personality specific job that may die with my departure from the industry one day.

Of course, I am conciously aware that I am the new kid on the block and do not want to step on any toes as I learn from you all, but I do see the same questions being asked several times. Usually by people like myself - the new kids on the block.
Do most people that start a business actually achieve that or does it really translate into a situation where work is carried out on a personality type basis. In other words, do customers buy a service or are they just getting their carpets cleaned?

Ken Wainwright

Re: Why do we say...Starting a new business?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2004, 09:36:14 pm »
Hi Zach

And a belated welcome to the board and, hopefully, to our wonderful industry.

Your thoughts about starting a new business are correct. But also totally wrong! We will all have several ways of regarding and describing what we do and will not necessarily agree with one another. So I'll give you my perspective.

Cleaning carpets is not a hobby. It may be a passion but not a hobby. So it's a business. So it would be fair to say that we are business people and our trade/service is carpet cleaning. For myself, it's easy to prioritise my strengths and weaknesses. I'm a tradesman first and a businessman second. At the bottom of the list is salesman/marketeer. Luckily, I grew with the industry and have never really had to go out and sell myself.

As you are starting anew, it's my opinion that you should regard yourself as a businessman first and foremost. Apart from learning your new skills of trade, you'll have to go through all aspects of being in business. Things such as training, equipment, vehicle, insurances, office equipment, marketing, trading name, advertising, stationary, bank accounts, work wear, accountants, health and safety, maybe company name and logo  whether to V.A.T. register etc. etc. As you can see, there are lots of things to occupy yourself with when becoming a businessman!

As for your last paragraph above, your customers are looking to buy a cleaner carpet, but if you're looking to provide a high quality service, you will be giving them more than that. You will start by not only arriving on the day as arranged, but also at the time agreed. After your customer recovers from that shock, they will be impressed by your attention to detail. The caring way you treat their treasured possessions, maybe cleaning some small mats without being asked and f.o.c. protecting the entrance and machine areas with protective mats, tabbing furniture legs, grooming the pile afterwards and so on. Your new customers will be so delighted with their new found "treasure" of a tradesman that they'll never want, or need, any other cleaner.

There are lots of one line snippets of advice that we can all give, so here's mine. From day one, start a database of customers. You then have something tangible as "goodwill" to sell when you retire ;)

Safe and happy cleaning:)
Ken

Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

Derek

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2004, 10:15:40 pm »
Zach

Like Kenneth I have been in the 'business' a good few years.

In 1969 I started out, as Ken has highlighted, as a one man business concern. Within twelve months I had a partner became a limited Company and we had employed our first full time person.
Within the next few years we built up the business until we had twelve full timers and many part time staff.

In the late 70's I bought my partner out and carried on. Since then I gradually became disillusioned with employing staff and all the hassle that goes with it so I  cutback until I was once again a one man business concern (Sorry I forgot to mention the BOSS...my wife who is also part of the business)

Over the years I have learned to work smarter.... It took a lot of learning too as for many years I was a busy fool... my biggest problem being I couldn't say NO!.

Deciding to start up in business and taking the plunge will be the hardest bit.  From then on your on a roll....go for it.

Best wishes
Derek  

Zach

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2004, 01:32:28 am »
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2004, 08:11:28 pm »
Zack, you've made a very interesting post but to be blunt it's way to loooooooooong for the thickos you get on this site :D

Do You like a challenge?

see if you can say what you've said in 20 words or less, You'll get more responce

remember we are only thick carpet cleaners, not philosophers.

Mike
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

mark_roberts

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2004, 10:15:19 pm »
I think your going about things the right way so I think, instinctively, you'll make a good businessman.

I think to be successful in a business like ours you have to have a passion for it, as Kens says.  How else are you going to push yourself to go out and clean other peoples 'crap' up if you dont enjoy it.

We could argue the difference between a job and a business but its what you want out of it will determine how successful you are.

Some of the most profitable cleaners on here are one man bands with a portable machine.

all the best.
Mark Roberts

Doug Holloway

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2004, 08:34:24 pm »
Hi Guys,

It would be interesting to know  what price a carpet cleaning business is usually sold for in relation to its turnover/profit.

Cheers,

Doug