Ian Gourlay

Power Brushes
« on: May 06, 2004, 12:25:56 pm »
Many of you talk of wand techniques,

Pre Spraying agitatating with Sebo Duo.

Agitatiting with Bonnets etc

I do not hear much talk about power brushes are they no good , old fashioned toys.

Or do you just take them for granted

Dynafoam

Re: Power Brushes
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2004, 12:54:11 pm »
Ian,

A good power brush can greatly speed up carpet cleaning, with reduced effort from the opperator.
( I have a Holoway 18")

The downside, as I see it, is that it does not allow the same degree of fine control afforded by the wand. A manual wand is also required to get right up to edges.

On some large-area jobs I will use a combination of power/manual wands on the whole carpet -doing all areas with the power wand and then 'touching-up' with the manual.

John.

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2004, 03:32:11 pm »
John,

Is that aswell as agitatating with your duo brush

Ian

Ed Valentine

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2004, 05:31:31 pm »
Ian;

Power Brush wands (revolving brush spindle) is a great way of cleaning low nap commercial carpeting in that is provides the (sometimes) necessary agitation to break down surface tension.

As I believe, John Bolton referred to, they tend to be alittle more bulkier perhaps in tight areas where a traditional wand would be much more preferable.

However, sometimes it is a must to have "mechanical action" at ones desposal to complete the job in great fashion. And, this is where the Power Brush might come in handy.

As far as its "Popularity", in MHO, it unfortunately is not very popular (at least here in the US) and we, for example, have discontinued this great item only for this reason.

Don't know if any of the above information I offered helped; however, I wanted to post my opinion.

Good Fortune to small business;
Ed Valentine
cross-american corp.

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2004, 06:12:58 pm »
In the right arena, a powerbrush is a wonderful tool. But I don't use one with my portable. If using a detergent pre-spray, it performs best if agitated then left to dwell. That doesn't happen with a powerbrush as the rinse, agitate and extract is all done in one process. What works for me on the type of work which could justify a powerbrush is to work as a two or even three man team. The man with the wand will only ever stop to empty the recovery tank, all of the preparation is completed ahead of the wand at a suitable time interval and the extractor is kept full of water too. The work rate this way is better than having two techs. working on their own.

Safe and happy cleaning:)
Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

Dynafoam

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2004, 07:54:48 pm »
Ian,

The agitation of pre-spray is part of a separate stage of the clean, so the use of a power wand does not negate this.

My main useage would be on very heavily trafficed area such as a large cruise terminal I cleaned earlier this week. A high percentage of the very heavy soil-load is ground-in grit. The carpet was pre-vac'ed with a Clarke wide-track which removed much of the dust and some of the grit.

The carpet was then misted with Solution No. 2, which was aggitated with a Host machine, which freed up much of the impacted grit.

By then using the power brush, with pump pressure set to 350psi, the remaining 'heavy' soil is dislodged by the water jets and flicked free of the pile by the cylindrical brush. The two working together achieving more than either could alone.

For most domestic work I would consider this approach to be 'over-the-top' and would not be woolsafe approved for many types of wool carpet where a smooth-wand is the prefered tool.

John.

John.

ALEXDH

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2004, 10:38:33 pm »
I love my stimvack power brush and i dont find it too big.

if doing a large area i use it twice firstly i zipp it around to provide excellet agitation just plugs in like a hoover , i dont have a host machine , then run over the majority of areas , particulary trafic lanes with it .

Always make sure you do a good slow vac only pass to make sure you are mot overwetting most have pretty substantial jets.
They are a great labour saver in my opinion.

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2004, 11:07:14 pm »
It would appear that my experiences and thinking about powerbrushes are so out of date that a review may be in order :-[

Safe and happy cleaning:)
Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

nordan

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2004, 01:15:18 am »
i use a small  ten inch powerbrush i got of mick gayton i use it on all my domestic work its got good water lift being only small.agitation is not just for prey treatment .the more you can agitate  from begining to end of the clean the better.

nordan

Re: Power Brushe
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2004, 01:26:45 am »
hi can enyone tell me how much a host  machine is thanks

Dynafoam

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2004, 01:35:31 am »
Ken,

What I did perhaps not make clear is that my use of the power brush is limited to where I feel it to be apropriate.

It cannot replace the finesse of a properly used smooth-wand which gives the opperator the ability to tailor the cleaning of each small area of carpet to requirements. I can also achieve better overall dryness with the 'craftsmans' tool. It is impractical to expect to make a drying stroke within the critical 1-3 seconds with something so clumbersome as even the smallest power brush.

Another case of "horses for courses"

John.

Len Gribble

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2004, 01:50:24 am »
Norden

Re Host are you referring to new or second hand also what will it be used for Dry or agitation use?

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

nordan

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2004, 11:52:14 am »
hi  Len  for agitation .second hand  would be better, are they hard to get second hand. thanks

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2004, 09:56:48 pm »
I think the question I was hoping to be answered was If you do not have vac switched on could you not use power brush for agitation. Rather than a host or Sebo Duo.

However having the above would enable an alternitive cleaning method.

Concerned about not being woolsafe.

Is that revolving aswell back forward motion

Dynafoam

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2004, 10:05:49 pm »
Ian,

Though it has a single brush, a power wand could be used for aggitating pre-spray but not only would it be 'clumsy' to use (being designed to be used only on the pull stroke), it would be less effective than one of the contra-rotating brush machines.

I'm not sure what you mean by your last sentence - maybe I've answered it above ?

John.

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2004, 10:44:04 pm »
What I meant was I beleive for example Prochem and Ashbys brushes are revolving.

I believe Extractas brush has a back forward stroke, cant remember technical term

But are they both  systems not woolsafe?

Am I better to stick to wand and get host if one comes up for sale seconhand,

Or what is the best power cleaning head to look out for if  powerbrush is going to leave me disatiisfied in short space of time

Dynafoam

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2004, 12:57:45 am »
Ian,

Sorry, I now see what you mean, the oscillating brush !

I think the same comments apply to both.

The Host, Envirodry and Sebo machines are all much better suited to this pupose, are good pile lifters and extreamly maneuverable.

I cannot at the moment put hands on the Woolsafe document (Ken?), but it stated that for one type of wool carpet a power wand was 'acceptable' but for all types a smooth wand was prefered.

Alternatives to the power wand (brush) include the Rotavac and RX20, the latter not recommended for portables.

John.

ALEXDH

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2004, 11:42:37 am »
Yes, with the vac pipe off mines seems good for agitation of presprays.

when you have the vac pipe on it can be a bit cumbersome but once you are used to it and you know what you can't do with it, edges etc they are a good tool.

Bryan H

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2004, 03:47:58 pm »
I too have owned a Stimvak powerbrush for at least 15 years. Excellent tool & has never gone wrong.  The jets spray on to the brush instead of the carpet,  this seems preferable to me.

It can be used quite effectively for agitation without the hoses connected, not as good as a contra-rotating brush machine maybe, but a lot less effort than pushing a carpet brush.

When coupled up & used as intended, it produces an excellent result on dirty commercial carpets, although I always follow up with a wand for extra drying & to remove stains which the powerbrush is not very good on.

In the past I have used on domestics, but these days I would prefer to use a standard carpet brush or sometimes a host machine & normal wand.

Bryan
Christal Clean - Berks

ALEXDH

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2004, 04:35:35 pm »
Yes bryan i agree it sometimes can be good to have a zip over it with a wand afterwards to make sure you have not overwet.

Mark Betts

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2004, 05:04:49 pm »
I would not be without my Extracta Power brush.

Restaurant last Sunday, Wand - Didnt touch it !!!

Power brush - one pass - Job Done

Dont use it on Residentials though as its a right pain in the rear getting it on and off the van.

Mark

PS
If you are averweting with the power brush then reduce the jet size.
A Dog Isnt Just For Christmas.........  Save a Bit For Boxing Day  !!!!!

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2004, 01:37:05 pm »
Just been looking through 2004 Prochem cat and there are no Powerbrushes for portables. Obviously not popular and have been discontinued.

Mark Betts

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2004, 02:48:25 pm »
Ian

www.extracta.co.uk/scrubbarange.htm

all can be used with portables.

Also alltec do one but I prefer the buld quality of extracta.

Mine is that old it was designed by Noah !!!!!  but its still going strong.

As i said before I would not tackle a pub or restaurant without one.

Mark

A Dog Isnt Just For Christmas.........  Save a Bit For Boxing Day  !!!!!

Paul_Lincoln

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2004, 12:40:20 am »
I have a Hydramaster Rx-20, find its better than power brushes, quicker, more consistant job and you can use it on hard floors with different heads too!

http://www.hydramaster.co.uk

DaveR

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2004, 01:06:19 am »
Just a tad more expensive though!!!

Len Gribble

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2004, 01:16:57 am »
Paul

I also have an RX20 have you used the Rotary DriMaster? If so what do you think on comparison to the RX20?

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2004, 06:12:17 pm »
Looks very impresive.  

Paul_Lincoln

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2004, 12:18:54 am »
Len,

I have used the RDM, in Florida last FEb. Very impressed, heavy water usage, but very very quick drying times...

Len Gribble

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2004, 12:54:41 am »
Paul

How did you find it on par with your Rx20, easier to use also would you say drying times are comparable to the Rx20?

The only negativity I have with the Rx20 it’s like looking at the wife change of model is needed only if it’s better! Please lads no flippant remarks I’m being serious.

Len

Derek

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2004, 10:13:36 am »
Len

Of course I will give you a serious reply... what about the old saying 'better the devil you know?'

Or another one...'if it ain't broke..etc'...

On the other point Len  ;)  I am sure you wife is a lovely lady with excellent perception.. after all ...she chose you! ;D

Cheers
Have a nice day
Derek

Dave Parry

« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2004, 12:07:14 am »
Must be a saint, to put up with Len! ;D ;D ;D
Bracknell, Berkshire,
Phoenix T/M,
http://www.cleanercarpets.org/index.html

Len Gribble

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2004, 01:15:24 am »
John

I chose her! Daddy’s money had nothing to do with it! now mother in-law live with us, yes Dave Sue is a saint at times most! By the way how the three wheeler doing?

Len

Len Gribble

« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2004, 01:17:52 am »
Forgot to add still need feed back on the RMD

Len

Dave Parry

« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2004, 08:45:52 pm »
Struggling on the hills. Also keep having to wipe the flies from my teeth, when hanging out on corners, sidecar style.
Bracknell, Berkshire,
Phoenix T/M,
http://www.cleanercarpets.org/index.html