TN Cleaning Services Ltd

Re: Van speed limits
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2013, 05:55:36 pm »
If its a mobile camera, they dont even bother stopping you, Just send you a letter through the post.

wynne jones

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2013, 06:20:32 pm »
Would be better off with a car and a rotary in the back then. Another point for Hector.
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

*Hector*

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2013, 06:21:29 pm »
 ;D ;D
Everyday this forum slips further from God.  :'(

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2013, 06:39:26 pm »
If its a mobile camera, they dont even bother stopping you, Just send you a letter through the post.

Correct, remember there are basically 3 types
1. Permanent fixed point which only takes a photo if going over the actual speed for that spot and can't tell if it's a car, van, lorry or plane.
2. Mobile camera units which have to be marked up as such, but it's manned by a human (so to speak) and the guy operating it can tell the difference between car, van, lorry and can submit the evidence as such. Some radio ahead so you get stopped some distance ahead or they take the pictures back for processing.
3. The unmarked stealth patrol who have to follow for one quarter of a mile in order to get enough evidence, hence some of those large white blobs of white paint on some roads, and then pull you over

At least with No 3 you'll be more inclined to stick to the speed limits for a while after the offence, unlike No 1 and to a degree No 2 which doesn't do anything to slow you down on the day but just rings the cash till.

bcc

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2013, 06:46:36 pm »
I did not know that, many thanks

John Kelly

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2013, 07:41:50 pm »
Pathetic how little information is put out to motorists on what can be major issues.

Mark@Able Stonecare

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2013, 07:42:32 pm »

Correct, remember there are basically 3 types
1. Permanent fixed point which only takes a photo if going over the actual speed for that spot and can't tell if it's a car, van, lorry or plane.
2. Mobile camera units which have to be marked up as such, but it's manned by a human (so to speak) and the guy operating it can tell the difference between car, van, lorry and can submit the evidence as such. Some radio ahead so you get stopped some distance ahead or they take the pictures back for processing.
3. The unmarked stealth patrol who have to follow for one quarter of a mile in order to get enough evidence, hence some of those large white blobs of white paint on some roads, and then pull you over

At least with No 3 you'll be more inclined to stick to the speed limits for a while after the offence, unlike No 1 and to a degree No 2 which doesn't do anything to slow you down on the day but just rings the cash till.

Neil some cameras can and do recognise the difference
They work by using a low powered laser beam across the road at a height of 11 feet, just ahead of the camera tower. Anything that cuts the beam is regarded as a truck and the speed camera triggers at a lower speed.

jim mca

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2013, 09:13:11 pm »
I didn't realise it applied to small vans

Jamie Pearson

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2013, 09:22:41 pm »
yup. i got three points in a connect.
if it says goods vehicle in log book/tax disc

AuRavelling79

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2013, 09:31:43 pm »
50 mile an hour for a transit connect, is just another money making scam brought in around 5 years ago with out any prior notice, we were caught out by it two years ago and non body knew about it, how is a small van any different from a estate car or people carrier..of course it's not and the police I talk to agree..

incidently if pulled over by the police for speeding and they tell you what speed you were doing, never agree that you were  when 'interviewed' at the side of the road..you have the right to not accept their 'evidence' especially if just a few miles an hour over.you maybe pleasantly surprised when they let you go with a caution.....Sometimes  ;D

I have an Expert and they are Taxis . Most of the the time i toottle along at 60 but on Motorways I have been through speed camera at 70 maybe im just lucky or is that the fixed ones  do not see why they cannot tell diffrences etc

But an Expert's GVW is about 2400kg so is a van!

My 1.3 Doblo (2006 model) is exactly 2000kg and so is a Car Derived Van of the maximum weight allowed. The 1.9 Doblo is 2020kg and over the limit. Gotta love the law - and this law or similar has been in place for decades - my bro fell foul of it driving Bedford HA vans in the 1970's.
It's a game of three halves!

John Kelly

« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2013, 10:38:56 pm »
Think you are right:
Clarification of national speed limits for vans

It is very important for drivers to bear in mind that vans (and all goods vehicles not exceeding 7.5 tonnes) are subject to lower national speed limits than cars on both single and dual carriageway roads.
 Whilst a car may travel at up to 60 mph on single carriageways and 70 mph on dual carriageways vans are only allowed to travel up to 50 mph on single carriageway roads and 60 mph on dual carriageway roads.
 [Remember that the speed limits quoted here are national limits, a lower speed limit will apply in built up areas and on many local roads. Where a lower speed limit is signed you must comply with those lower limits].
 Q. Where do these different speed limits for vans come from?

A. The national speed limits are set out in Schedule 6 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act of 1984 and they are summarised in regulation 124 of the Sept 2007 version of the Highway Code.
Q. Why should vans have lower speed limits than cars when they now have modern advanced braking systems like cars?

A. The main reason for these lower speed limits is that goods vehicles are designed to be able to carry heavier loads and when laden they will tend to take longer to slow down than a car travelling at the same speed.
 Q. Why are the speed limits different when very often cars & vans are in the same tax class for DVLA registration purposes?

A. Some people make the mistake of thinking that if a van is in the same tax or registration class as a car then it is subject to the same speed limits. However the two issues are unrelated and they are governed by different legislation. National speed limits are set out in the 1984 legislation are based on the possible load capacities of the vehicle and whether or not it is used for carrying passengers.
 Q. Are there any exemptions from these lower speed limits for vans?

A. There is one (small) group of vans which have the same speed limits are cars by virtue of the definitions in Schedule 6 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act of 1984. These are vans that are both derived from a car chassis and also have a maximum laden weight of no more than 2 tonnes. This means that the weight of the vehicle and the payload it is designed to be able to carry when added together do not exceed 2 tonnes. The van design must be a derivative of a car body, it is not sufficient that it looks similar to a particular car.
Q. Which vans meet the criteria to be considered car derived vans for speed limit purposes?

A. Very few vans will meet the criteria to benefit from the same speed limits as a car. Those that do are likely to be similar to a Ford Fiesta van ,Vauxhall Corsa or Renault Clio van in having maximum payloads of around 500kgs so that when combined with the weight of the vehicle unladen (normally around 1.4 tonnes) the maximum laden weight of the whole vehicle will not exceed 2 tonnes.
 What this means is that vans such as the Ford Transit and (and of course the larger panel vans) will not meet the definition of car derived vans set out set out in part IV section 2 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984. Therefore these vehicles will be subject to speed limits of 50mph on single carriageways and 60 mph on dual carriageways.
 Q. When did these rules come in and shouldn't they be changed now?

A. These speed limit rules have been in place for well over 20 years and there are no plans to change these limits to allow vans to be driven at higher speeds because ministers remain to be convinced that it would be safe to do so.
Q. Do these speed limits apply if the van is travelling without a load?

A. The national speed limits apply to the vehicle type and it makes no difference whether the vehicle at a particular time is fully loaded, partially loaded or travelling without a load.
 Q. If my van is fitted with a speed limiter then it can't do more than 56 mph anyway so why should I worry about these speed limits?

A. The only non HGV goods vehicles that are required to have a speed limiter are those which were registered after 30th September 2001 and have a gross design weight of over 3.5 tonnes. Therefore most vans will not be fitted with a limiter. In any case on particular local roads the speed limits may be lower than these national ones. It is vital to keep within the speed limits specified on road signs and also to vary your vehicle's speed according to the prevailing weather or traffic conditions.

Simon Moat

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2013, 10:59:47 pm »
I never speed, I find it impossible to text or have a proper conversation on the phone if i'm driving over 50 in any case.

tony bish

« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2013, 03:12:23 pm »
What about crew vans

Griffus

« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2013, 02:25:31 am »
Are you aware of the new speed limits for vans such as Transits. 50 on single carriageway, 60 on Dual carriageway.
https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits

These aren't new limits, they've been in place for years. Trucks obviously even slower. As far back as 12 years ago I remember one of our driver's being prosecuted for speeding by type (code SP20).

http://www.vehicles-duty-of-care.com/speeding.html

Someone was complaining that we're not told. To be fair we are told, via the highway code when we took our test. Trouble is by now most of the highway code is a distant memory. I'm a former logistics and transport manager and even I've forgot most of what I used to know. If you don't use it.............

Bottom line is that they're always out to get a bit moe revenue :o

derek west

« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2013, 10:58:33 am »
I'm amazed at how many drivers of cars don't know the speed limit on a partitioned dual carriage way. the amount of drivers that slow down to 60 at a speed camera is laughable.

i think a speed awareness course should be compulsory, i learnt more there than i did on my lessons,  ;D

wynne jones

« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2013, 04:46:46 pm »
I think I'm getting old and its time to buy a cloth cap. Vans pass me like I'm standing still, no one seems to signal on roundabouts anymore and we might as well do away with zebra crossings.  ;D
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2013, 05:53:16 pm »
There goes the transporter speedline I wanted next year  :'(

I thought vans where the same as cars!

« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2013, 06:07:43 pm »
It does make you wonder why vans are produced that can easily do 100 mph or more, some of them can easily out race a half decent standard car, when road speed limits are set lower for the vans.

John Kelly

« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2013, 06:34:49 pm »
It says because it the loads they may have onboard.

AshWhite

« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2013, 06:56:31 pm »
It does make you wonder why vans are produced that can easily do 100 mph or more, some of them can easily out race a half decent standard car, when road speed limits are set lower for the vans.

Because vans are not produced for the UK market only.
Carpet Cleaning http://www.floors2show.co.uk
Google Adwords Management http://www.pagecrest.co.uk