Ryan @ Transparent, Carlisle

1st carpet clean
« on: January 21, 2012, 09:46:51 pm »
i bought a 2nd hand rug doctor pro, cheap,

i know its not the ideal machine (as i found out today) but i was just testing the water, so to speak,

i cleaned a "double" living room, had to fill the bloody thing up about 10 times with water & solution.

It (eventually) got the carpet cleaned, however there was a stain there that i couldnt manage to get out, it was red candle wax,

If my new venture takes off, i'll be looking at investing in a decent machine, any suggestions?

It made a nice change from window cleaning, and certainly looks liek it can be a useful "add-on" to my business.

Kinver_Clean

Re: 1st carpet clean
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 09:54:30 pm »
do some searches on this board- there is acres of replies to just your question.
God must love stupid people---He made so many.

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 10:05:58 pm »
i thought someone might say that  8)

john martin

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 10:32:00 pm »
budget ?  as in how much would you ideally  like spend on one .

davep

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 10:52:38 pm »
If you filled it up 10 times you better go back tmrw with some wellies!

Jim_77

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 01:45:50 am »
Make sure you take your rod & reel, you could go fishing in it ;)

I could "add on" window cleaning to my business very easily.  I could spit on a tissue and rub it round a pane of glass... which is the equivalent of the hatchet job you've done with that rug doctor (I hope you or whoever's carpet you "cleaned" like the smell of mildew by the way!)

Truth is, if you want to be a carpet cleaner you have to be dedicated to it and make a significant investment to get yourself going (£10k is nothing).  If I had a fiver for every windie posting on here wanting to "add on" carpet cleaning with a kid's toy for a machine....

I would make contact with a few different carpet cleaners not too local to you, who'd be willing to take you out for a day with them so you can get some real world experience of how the pro's do it.  Ask them to tot up the value of their equipment and make sure you're sitting down at the time.  Costs a few quid more than a bucket, squeegee or one of those waggly poles.

Failing that, if you absolutely must try to clean carpets, just offer a "dry" system with something like Host or Envirodri.  Even a complete nobber would struggle to screw up a carpet with such a system.  Doesn't clean many carpets very well though, probably the least effective system in most cases.

L.Doubtfire - The Blade Runner

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 06:21:11 am »
Ryan,that’s good sound advice from Jim Neal.
Including the part about `dry`systems.
You do need some form of rotary system that
Gives you some agitation / mechanical action.
I could go on forever,

Lewis  Doubtfire
L. Doubtfire
Window Cleaner

AshWhite

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 11:51:18 am »
Failing that, if you absolutely must try to clean carpets, just offer a "dry" system with something like Host or Envirodri.  Even a complete nobber would struggle to screw up a carpet with such a system.  Doesn't clean many carpets very well though, probably the least effective system in most cases.

;D
Carpet Cleaning http://www.floors2show.co.uk
Google Adwords Management http://www.pagecrest.co.uk

Paul Heath

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 01:21:28 pm »
Can you be serious !!!
Turn it around...i want to go into window cleaning and have brought a 2nd hand sponge & leather, but keep leaving streeks on the windows ???
Like any trade you want to be able to do the best job possible, so you invest in some decent equipment to start off.
There are lots of decent 2nd equipment around if you look and plenty of training courses.
Rug doctors are not the equipment you want if you want to be taken seriously

mike roberts

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 07:31:41 pm »

i know its not the ideal machine (as i found out today) but i was just testing the water, so to speak,

i cleaned a "double" living room, had to fill the bloody thing up about 10 times with water & solution.

It (eventually) got the carpet cleaned, however there was a stain there that i couldnt manage to get out, it was red candle wax,

If my new venture takes off, i'll be looking at investing in a decent machine, any suggestions?

It made a nice change from window cleaning, and certainly looks liek it can be a useful "add-on" to my business.

Ryan,

Interesting... why are you looking to add carpet cleaning to your services ??

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 07:37:49 pm »
You'll get laughed out of most places if you turn up with a Rug Doctor. If that is the best you can do then stick to window cleaning. If you're serious about CCing then go on a training course then invest in some professional equipment.

Simon

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2012, 07:45:47 pm »
It's ok guys it's the winter season when window cleaners want to come indoors (can't say I blame them but........) so what 'cleaning' can we do that allows this'..... oh I know carpet cleaning can't be that hard can it ;D

Are you in Southampton tomorrow by any chance Simon?

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2012, 07:49:18 pm »
Neil,
No, I'm going out starting a window cleaning business, p easy, apparently. ;D

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2012, 07:50:55 pm »
If you filled a Rug Doctor Pro ten times on a job that means you've put 100 litres onto the carpet and no doubt left the majority of it there  ??? ???

oliver collins

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2012, 09:47:56 pm »
Hi Guys

Such helpful info all upbuilding. ::) ::) ::)

Oliver Rise & Shine

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2012, 10:07:43 pm »
We like to give our window cleaning friends a 'clear view' on things. ;D

D woods

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2012, 10:27:16 pm »
There are some real Bellends in the carpet cleaning world,learning how to clean carpets is very easy.

The hard part is getting customers, but if you have an established window cleaning round you are already ahead of the game.

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2012, 10:33:29 pm »
There are some real Bellends in the carpet cleaning world.

Likewise in the window cleaning world ;D ;D

D woods

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2012, 10:35:59 pm »
That's the truth

jim mca

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2012, 10:51:39 pm »
If you are going to start carpet cleaning the starting point is on a training cource and then buying a machine that can work to the level you set for your standards if like my window cleaner its just a fill in and charge £35 for a suite then please dont bother but if you want to learn and provide a good service and charge for it then you know where to start (basic training)

Jim

steven Banks

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2012, 11:05:23 pm »
There are some real Bellends in the carpet cleaning world,learning how to clean carpets is very easy.

The hard part is getting customers, but if you have an established window cleaning round you are already ahead of the game.

Mess up your regular "window cleaning customers carpets" and say goodbye to them for good. I think most on here get sick of people not taking carpet cleaning seriously. Get your self on a good course, go out and start cleaning and then come back and post "it's easy"  ;)

Jim_77

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2012, 12:27:35 am »
Quote from: Lewis Doubtfire
I could go on forever,

Why not?  I do ;D

Mr. Woods,

What you fail to appreciate is that window cleaners work on ONE type of material - glass.  Unless you're using a hammer or sandpaper you can't really break it, the rest is just down to fine-tuning your techniques.... and as you say working to build your round.

I could go from Monday morning to Friday afternoon and not clean the same type of surface twice in that time - carpets, rugs, upholstery, hard floors.... the spectrum is very diverse, and as a carpet cleaner you WILL be asked to clean a variety of things.

Arriving poorly equipped and untrained is a bit like swimming across a crocodile-infested swamp; some days you'll get away with it, other days you'll get to the other side with a leg missing.

It's up to each individual what they want to do, but if someone comes to the carpet cleaning forum to discuss carpet cleaning... they're going to get some honest, down to earth opinions.

At the end of the day, if you leave a window a bit streaky you've lost £10 a month at worst.  If you leave a carpet swimming in water or a 3-pc suite a different colour to when you started it.... do the maths.

It gets a bit tedious for all experienced carpet cleaners trying to politely steer people who've got no idea in the right direction so it doesn't screw up the reputation of OUR industry.

L.Doubtfire - The Blade Runner

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2012, 01:25:37 pm »
Ryan,most people on here say go on a training course to start
With.The best training course is possibly here on the forum
I wish the forums were around when I started out.There was
Nothing like this.As for training courses I suppose your as well
Booking up on a NCCA course.There`s still 2 or 3 of the tutors
Still there now,when I was a member.They even tried to `rope`
Me in once as I recall. ::) ;D

Lewis  Doubtfire
L. Doubtfire
Window Cleaner

Bryan Griffith

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2012, 06:20:47 pm »
Well I bet you are glad you asked for advice.
The first thing to say is there are many window cleaners who look through the windows and see someone cleaning carpets and think I can do that. well as you might have learned its not that simple. I was a member of the NCCA  and was always told never take anything into a customers home that you see on the high street.
I rather than berate you would go along with those who suggest you book on a suitable training course, that said let he who has never had a problem cast the first stone.
I am wondering if you have any insurance to cover you for cleaning carpets as most companies ask about your experience.  Any damage  caused whilst uninsured can be costly.
If you are serious about joining the carpet cleaning brigade remember your reputation is hard won and easily lost.
It might be worth hiring a decent machine for a couple of weeks after going on a training course some people buy expensive machines and then decide its not the job for them. Good luck mate.

Robert Watson

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2012, 06:32:59 pm »
"then decide its not the job for them."
Good point and post Bryan. I once put a decent amount of money into car valeting and very quickly realized I hated it.  ;D
You live and learn.
The Kitchen Door Centre

Matt Lindus

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2012, 08:15:27 pm »
Why not supliment your income with a bolt on service. Most carpet cleaners on here suck off middle class men for a warm bed and soup.

AshWhite

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2012, 08:17:31 pm »
Why not supliment your income with a bolt on service. Most carpet cleaners on here suck off middle class men for a warm bed and soup.

I mustve fallen asleep during that part of the IICRC course..
Carpet Cleaning http://www.floors2show.co.uk
Google Adwords Management http://www.pagecrest.co.uk

derek west

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2012, 08:28:23 pm »

you still selling yourself short mat, some of us can get a full english and a maccies but then we have considerably more suction than yow ;D

jasonl

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2012, 08:29:29 pm »

Your mother fed you from the proceeds of sucking me off ,so I know there is money in it.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Matt Lindus

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2012, 08:44:56 pm »

Your mother fed you from the proceeds of sucking me off ,so I know there is money in it.

Cant beat snowballing!!

Craigp

« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2012, 10:08:42 pm »
I see we have the usual intelligent debate on the forum.

;D

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2012, 08:36:39 pm »
Make sure you take your rod & reel, you could go fishing in it ;)

I could "add on" window cleaning to my business very easily.  I could spit on a tissue and rub it round a pane of glass... which is the equivalent of the hatchet job you've done with that rug doctor (I hope you or whoever's carpet you "cleaned" like the smell of mildew by the way!)

Truth is, if you want to be a carpet cleaner you have to be dedicated to it and make a significant investment to get yourself going (£10k is nothing).  If I had a fiver for every windie posting on here wanting to "add on" carpet cleaning with a kid's toy for a machine....

I would make contact with a few different carpet cleaners not too local to you, who'd be willing to take you out for a day with them so you can get some real world experience of how the pro's do it.  Ask them to tot up the value of their equipment and make sure you're sitting down at the time.  Costs a few quid more than a bucket, squeegee or one of those waggly poles.

thanks, sounds like good advice mate, cheers

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2012, 08:37:50 pm »

Ryan,

Interesting... why are you looking to add carpet cleaning to your services ??

just looking to try it mate. grow the business. so not just a "1trick pony"

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2012, 08:40:53 pm »
If you are going to start carpet cleaning the starting point is on a training cource and then buying a machine that can work to the level you set for your standards if like my window cleaner its just a fill in and charge £35 for a suite then please dont bother but if you want to learn and provide a good service and charge for it then you know where to start (basic training)

Jim

more goo advice, thanks.

I certainly dont want to have it just a a fill in, and start underpricing.... I hate it when (window cleaning) £3.50 joe from down the road has got the whole street tied up, because he is cheap, and probably does a crap job

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2012, 08:46:19 pm »
ok then chaps. i got a brochure through from EXTRACTA in gateshead.

Of course, i do like the look of the eXtel Maching but at its price is a big gamble to start with.

So how about the cheaper one, the cx. at £1300.... will this do a good job? likely to experience any problems?

thanks

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2012, 08:47:21 pm »

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2012, 08:52:52 pm »

Of course, i do like the look of the eXtel Maching but at its price is a big gamble to start with.

So how about the cheaper one, the bx. at £1300.... will this do a good job? likely to experience any problems?

thanks

peter maybury

« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2012, 09:28:13 pm »
I would seriously do some training before you think about investing in machinery. You will then at least realise the benefits that one machine has against another. A machine is just a part of the service.

Peter
www.carpetcleanercardiff.com

john martin

« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2012, 10:09:46 pm »

So how about the cheaper one, the bx. at £1300.... will this do a good job? likely to experience any problems?

thanks

As others said , training is important ...  :)

Nothing wrong with Extraca's integrity or build quality ,  but the BX is a very basic machine , you get a single vac ( an expensive to replace 7.2)  + a basic pump and immersion heater  ....

For around that money  i would pick the Alltec Elite 100 ( £1450 ) 
you get modern design , more capacity , easy repair access .
 twin vacs 5.7 ( cheap to replace)  basic pump , 3000w inline heater .
you could easily upgrade the pump in future , but its fine .

http://www.alltec.co.uk/page/1gfd/Portables.html

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2012, 08:05:16 am »
Ryan,
Book yourself on a training course before you even think of buying machine. Although on the face of it carpet cleaning is very straight forward, trust me, when things go wrong you can do an awful lot of damage simply by not knowing what you are doing. If you're serious about carpet cleaning then get it right from the beginning - do the training!

Simon

clinton

« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2012, 09:13:26 am »
Ryan Why dont you go and see a c cleaner and see how he does the job and that will give you an idea mate..

Maybe ask a guy near you and spend an hour ..