Kriss

starting a business
« on: November 03, 2011, 10:34:24 am »
Im just about to start a carpet cleaning business. I have saved around 1500 pounds. Is there any particular carpet cleaning equipment you would recommend  ???

Aquakleen Restoration Services

Re: starting a business
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 10:50:37 am »
If you want to offer a good service I would say you will need to save up more money than that...

Kriss

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 11:06:11 am »
what money we are talking about  ???

AshWhite

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 11:11:45 am »
Kriss,

I started trading in June this year, and invested just over £7k in equipment to start off. Then you have to factor in your living costs while you get off the ground, costs for advertising, chemicals, some money for when things break or go wrong.

I've put in another £1500 since I started, and still have a shopping list as long as my arm.

You can of course do it cheaper, but it depends what results you want to get, and what impression you want to give off.

Good luck however you proceed
Carpet Cleaning http://www.floors2show.co.uk
Google Adwords Management http://www.pagecrest.co.uk

Kriss

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 11:32:37 am »
Thank You AshWhite, I Have no chance to invest that much money. But I still try my best to do best service for little bit less. I was just wonder for a bit cheaper good quality equipment. I wish You all the best :)

Hilton

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 12:05:36 pm »
Look on the for sale board theres some decent kit at good prices, factor in training and working capital for at least 3 months.

Probably better if you started off part-time though.

Warren Aldridge

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 12:08:34 pm »
You wont get a good extraction machine for that so I would spend £350ish on a good agitator to help break down the dirt more so you rely less on the extraction machine.

Find a supplier for one of these
http://www.oreck.com/Orbiter-Multi-Purpose-Floor-Machine

Then look on ebay for an extraction machine for about a grand.

With the left over get some prespray gold from Prochem for your "shampoo" and a tub of Prochem Pure Clean powder for prespraying as well but mix extra high strength for spotting with a small 1 liter sprayer bottle. You need a big 5 litre pump up sprayer bottle for spraying the Prochem prespray gold, and a small brush for spotting.

That will max your budget. If you do get any jobs you will need to spend the majority of your income on marketing from then on in

Kriss

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 12:13:14 pm »
Thank You Hilton, i will look  for sale board. Actually, part - time would be the best option for now   :)

Colin Day

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 12:31:44 pm »
You could perhaps consider starting oven cleaning first. Cheap to set up and you can be earning £500 a week with good advertising and referrals. That way you can build money up for better equipment and training for carpet cleaning.. ;)

If you're interested, PM me..

Cheers, Colin....

Buckland

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 12:36:31 pm »
If I was starting now and not ten years ago I'd buy a really good twin-vac or triple vac machines PLUS that new Italian Hotbox solutions is selling at £999 or if short of funds the CFR perfect heat 500psi - the minimum sum to set up is going to be best part of 3-4k new plus a vehicle - unless you get lucky on ebay or buy the underpowerd cheaper gear which will not do you any real favours some of it is useable though but at that stage a newbie ain't got the knowledge...

No worthwhile service business has low start-up costs - buy good gear look after it and you have a saleable asset - dont buy a franchise!

dave
Buckland Carpet & Fabric Care :: 01590 688938
www.SteamCleanCarpetService.co.uk

garry22

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 12:41:59 pm »
You could always lease the equipment. This way you would have good stuff from day one with greater earning capacity.

The number one thing is still GETTING customers.

Aquakleen Restoration Services

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 01:42:01 pm »
what money we are talking about  ???

1500 hundred quid you just mentioned  :D

Mike Mahoney

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 02:08:01 pm »
I agree with Colin on this one,

oven cleaning is a good starting point, I started off with a low budget 4k, used oven cleaning for 18 months part time to raise enough for really good equipment for my commercial kitchen / extraction system cleaning business which was the main aim, would not have survived without the full time job tho, I am by nop means alan sugar but my best advice would be, research, research and then some more research, know your target market and also your local competition. It is always handy to have more than one string to your bow.

Good luck, don't get disheartened you are entering a cut throat market where the customer expects to pay peanuts and has no Idea of the costs involved in setting up a cleaning Co.

MCM
MIKE MAHONEY

Clean Enviro UK Ltd.
cleanenviro.co.uk
07877 467811

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 06:03:03 pm »
Kriss,
The first thing you need to do is attend a carpet cleaning training course, a two day one is best for newbies and then an upholstery cleaning course. If you're not prepared to spend money on this your chances of suceeding in this industry are non existent. The only way you make money in carpet cleaning is by offering good service and fantastic results so that people recommend you to friends and family etc. You don't make money on the first visit to a customer because of all the advertising costs that a newbie needs to spend money on to get the phone ringing. If you haven't got a good deal more than £1,500 you're probably wasting your time and your money.

Simon

james roffey

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 06:09:19 pm »
I started with £15000 and still did not have everything i really needed, a lot of that money was for marketing too no good having equipment if the phone dont ring. i wanted a good machine, now have a triple vac Airflex which is great, i got some training with the NCCA and practical knowledge by spending some time with a couple of very good carpet cleaners.
I also wanted to build a good reputation as i think that is the best marketing, repeat work etc, if you start with the idea of being cheap and chearful then your customer base you build will always want that cheap price, it would be quicker though.
I have been going 3 years and its just started to really pick up, so it takes time.

Paul H

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2011, 08:28:58 pm »
i agree with james... it takes time effort and...money...but it is doable..

regarding machine i started with a single vac machine... got good results and made money too... it was 2nd hand.... i have since re invested in a new machine ...

i can get my hands on a 2nd hand machine for you .. single vac... 7.5mtrs of hose carry bag... handtool (for stairs / uholstery)... and a mini scrubba tool..( no its not my old one!)... its an old fella i know who has retired and he's looking to off load it..

Might not be what you want but given your budget it would still leave you with a decent 2/3rds of it...

wynne jones

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2011, 09:01:13 pm »
Where there's a will there's a way. Carpet cleaning is something people come into thinking they can turn a profit soon after start up, but in reality the rewards are 2-3 years down the road.

Your biggest cost is living expenses not the equipment!

On the other hand you could go down this route which apparently works.

Buy a second hand rotary buffer and vacuum cleaner off ebay, some Mpower and you will need an estate car to put all your kit in.

Then run a Groupon campaign which means you don't have any marketing costs to build your business. Apparently you can earn over £300 per day doing this.

It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2011, 09:10:12 pm »
really??

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2011, 09:12:28 pm »
I started out of the back of a Fiat Bravo using a Numatic ctd 572, pile brush and a pump up sprayer from B&Q!   ;D

Made £21,000 profit in my first year with that gear. Alot of bones for a 17 year old!

Needless to say, I bought a van and Prochem SteamPro machine in year 2. Still got the brush tho!   :P

Tony

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2011, 09:17:13 pm »
Wynne,

Then run a Groupon campaign which means you don't have any marketing costs to build your business. Apparently you can earn over £300 per day doing this.

Love it ;D ;D

wynne jones

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2011, 09:18:47 pm »
I started out of the back of a Fiat Bravo using a Numatic ctd 572, pile brush and a pump up sprayer from B&Q!   ;D

Made £21,000 profit in my first year with that gear. Alot of bones for a 17 year old!

Needless to say, I bought a van and Prochem SteamPro machine in year 2. Still got the brush tho!   :P

Tony

Yep where there's a will there's a way, but after a while you want to make it easy on yourself.  :)

mike roberts

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2011, 09:23:40 pm »
I agree with Colin on this one,

oven cleaning is a good starting point, I started off with a low budget 4k, used oven cleaning for 18 months part time to raise enough for really good equipment for my commercial kitchen / extraction system cleaning business which was the main aim, would not have survived without the full time job tho, I am by nop means alan sugar but my best advice would be, research, research and then some more research, know your target market and also your local competition. It is always handy to have more than one string to your bow.

Good luck, don't get disheartened you are entering a cut throat market where the customer expects to pay peanuts and has no Idea of the costs involved in setting up a cleaning Co.

MCM

Hi Mike, looking at your old post back in October I thought oven cleaning was dying ??

So many franchises out there....  locally to myself we have 4!

Dont wish to be rude and sure I will be shot for this (quick change my settings) but carpet cleaning is the last cleaning business I would be looking to start up.. probably my last psot in the carpet cleaning section  :P are you prepared to have no work wk on wk then suddenly jump at a drop of a hat ?
Guys on here have been established for yrs fair play but takes so much time to build up a loyal database... quick buc no chance hard graft low rewards for yrs.

wynne jones

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2011, 09:26:33 pm »
Wynne,

Love it ;D ;D

OK somewhat tongue in cheek  ;D, but seriously for someone keen and no money maybe it makes sense.

Colin Day

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2011, 09:30:42 pm »
I think you're spot on about the carpet cleaning, Mike!

As with oven cleaning, I know someone in my area who has recently taken a franchise with "Ovenu" and from what I hear, he isn't impressed so far....

I offer oven cleaning for up to half the price he does if a customer has their carpets cleaned by me, how can this guy compete with that?

Richard Basey-Fisher

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2011, 09:51:36 pm »
a lot depends on your own personal situation.

buying the right equipment is of course important but its getig the phone to ring is the real battle.

I disagree that you need thousands to invest and  start up  .

leasing is a good way to get decent kit and keep your £  for working capital. and also you will get tax benefit on the full lease term.

You need funds for working capital to keep your momentum during the early days .

I would say wait until march as you will find it tough in jan feb.

training first would be your best avenue

Andrew Briscoe

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2011, 09:55:33 pm »
I could be wrong, but i think you need 3 yrs accounts to be able to lease equipment, however best call and check, there might be away around it.

Andrew

ps, i started with a grand in 1989, working along side a carpet sales business.

Richard Basey-Fisher

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2011, 10:02:29 pm »
I could be wrong, but i think you need 3 yrs accounts to be able to lease equipment, however best call and check, there might be away around it.

Andrew

depends on personal situation homeowner etc and also you can lease if you have guarantor

Gabriel Nagy

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2011, 10:06:44 pm »
When I started I did buy professional stuff, of course being to some training courses and asking around...I have invested around £8900 including advertising, etc...I use a Powrflite 600 PSI. I think you'll definitely need a van for the equipment and chemicals. Advertising is the hardest part of the business and getting well with the customers. Anyway...go to some courses and you'll find there all you want for the business to start...some of them will provide training free if buy equipment from them or buy starter package...£1500 is quite less money to start..and my opinion do not go to peoples houses with some hired equipment because some of them will know about it and your reputation will go down. Good luck and feel free to ask if got something you want to know.

Colin Day

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2011, 10:08:10 pm »

Andrew

Hey up mate, I made it to Penrith on that Monday afternoon. Took the kids to "Raghead" as my little one mis-pronounced it and spent a few quid in Norris' fishing tackle shop.

How was Manumission...? (Give it large!)

I seen a "Carlisle Cleaners" van in Helston today, they must be expanding.... ;D

wynne jones

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2011, 10:08:39 pm »
Credit cards are still the cheapest way to borrow, you certainly have an incetive to pay them off before the 0% deal runs out. You can still get 12month 0% deals.

AshWhite

« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2011, 10:11:48 pm »
Anyone else get the feeling that the OP stopped reading a page ago?
Carpet Cleaning http://www.floors2show.co.uk
Google Adwords Management http://www.pagecrest.co.uk

Andrew Briscoe

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2011, 10:14:08 pm »

Andrew

depends on personal situation homeowner etc and also you can lease if you have guarantor

I stand corrected Richard, i know you can take out an insurance, but it makes it expensive.

Colin, i told you i am too old for clubbing  :'(

I picked up a cleaning job in San Antonio Bay, makes you remember not to leave things unattended.

Kriss

« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2011, 02:41:53 pm »
I can imagine 1500 is not a lot, but like some of You said before, the best idea for now is get some training and start part - time. I drive for living so I keep saving a money and with time I will upgrade my equipment. I am wonder if any of you know machine like SENSEI PC7854 or NINJA 135 PSI from Ashbys cleaning equipment, and is that the right equipment to start with?  ???  Thank You for all Your replays  :)

Mark Lawrence

« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2011, 07:42:58 pm »
Is it only me, I hear this all the time when people say that they will only spend about £1500 to start carpet cleaning - under the illusion that they will hopefully make a killing. Usually part timers who want to earn extra cash.

Did a quote last week for a lady who said that her husband used to do carpet cleaning on his days off shift (fireman). But had to stop when he got promoted to a 9-5. These people usually want the cash for a holiday every year or to boost their partners income for instance.

If Kriss is 100% committed and serious to build his business and not the above, then I hope he succeeds. If he isnt then I hope he re-thinks what he thinks he can gain and actually do something that he will enjoy.

Just out of interest, I wonder what the percentages in relation to serious business builders v make a killing and not tell the tax man are in this industry.

Mark

Paul Moss

« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2011, 08:14:36 pm »
Mark I would say the percentage is quite high and I would guess that a good 30% of the cleaners that come on here are part time cleaners.

Carpet2Clean

« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2011, 08:39:31 pm »
Hi Kriss..I started out with only £1,200...I bought a brand new Prochem Galaxy,Prochem chemicals & Brush & had change over to buy a £25 Mr Site website,also if you BUY Prochem you get a 1 day training course free..I run my business out of my car to get started..I got lots of referrals with this machine and the Mr Site website worked a treat first page on google...6 months into business i bought a transit connect van another new Prochem machine (Steempro) & more websites..This is now my 4 year in business but if you look at my other post their are carpet cleaners in my area using Karcher Puzzi they also are making good money....I hope this helps you out...(Richard)

Kriss

« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2011, 08:45:20 pm »
Dear Mark

I passed my class 1 license couple years ago, before that a was sweeping london roads, being a warehouse man, and working on a forklift truck. I love challenges and I know driving is my last job working for somebody. I wanna work for myself, and sooner or later I will make it. Just a matter of time.

Kriss

« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2011, 09:06:06 pm »
Dear Richard (Carpet2Clean)

This is exactly what I mean. Not everyone is lucky to have all this thousands of pound to invest   Yes your post helped me out. Thank You   :)

mike roberts

« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2011, 09:26:56 pm »
Credit cards are still the cheapest way to borrow, you certainly have an incetive to pay them off before the 0% deal runs out. You can still get 12month 0% deals.

Personally I think thats the worst advice so far I have seen on forum well done  ;D ;D current climate borrow on credit card genius... to make it worse borrow on cc to support your new company .... Business plan use cc  ;D ;D please if you have not got the money behind u dont use cc last last last option even then dont do it !... if you use cc and every thing goes 'pear' shaped what happens ? u end up paying 30% interest fantastic!

Post the other day 'everything has gone quite' .... clue there somewhere... only  way cc's keep busy is via leaflets 1000's every month is that what u really want to do ??

Kriss

« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2011, 09:45:53 pm »
no cc  :P

wynne jones

« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2011, 09:53:31 pm »

Personally I think thats the worst advice so far I have seen on forum well done  ;D ;D current climate borrow on credit card genius... to make it worse borrow on cc to support your new company .... Business plan use cc  ;D ;D please if you have not got the money behind u dont use cc last last last option even then dont do it !... if you use cc and every thing goes 'pear' shaped what happens ? u end up paying 30% interest fantastic!

Post the other day 'everything has gone quite' .... clue there somewhere... only  way cc's keep busy is via leaflets 1000's every month is that what u really want to do ??

It wasn't advice, it was a fact.  ;)