scott2bclean

Re: cc orgaisations- what are the benifits?
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2005, 08:48:00 am »
Does anyone know how many carpet cleaners there are in the country?

The numbers for this and other forums run into thousands, accepting that many are members of all forums.

With the membership of the NCCA counted in hundreds, according to their website.

Is not therefore a need for some organisation  to fill the void?

I do not know whether the British Professional Carpet Cleaners Assocation will be the one to fill the void, but it is a step in the right direction. 

Because of my location and scale of operation the costs of the NCCA are simply too great.

I have joined the BPCC.

Regards
John

neil 47

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2005, 04:46:02 pm »
I looked on yell dot comm today for carpet cleaners in cornwall only 51 listed for the whole county  :o

Neil

IICRC

scott2bclean

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2005, 05:35:20 pm »
Thank you neil
 A similar search of ncca showed 3

Regards john

Barry Pearce

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2005, 06:30:01 pm »
Yes but Neil, dont forget there are some 30 manufactures all selling 10 machines a week and most of the office cleaners have had nearly an hours training.
Barry

Karl Wildey

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2005, 06:58:50 pm »
unfortunately unless you are in, ie paid the money, you will not see the benefits, it easy to knock the NCCA from the outside.
I joined after 10 years as a cc, with the view it was too much money. I was a member of the guild of master craftsmen and for a tenner more i left the guild and join the NCCA.
That was 7 years ago, and I would not leave the ncca now.

And I make back 20 times my annual subscription, but then I could be one of the lucky ones.

Len Gribble

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2005, 08:34:59 pm »
Ian

Though I’m not a member of the ncca, so I can’t comment on the internal politics or how the org works, at lest one can choose to join or not your prerogative, over the years have come to know some names who are members/directors of the ncca, I would trust them more, than someone just starting out an org, haven’t even got a web site to drum up membership let alone use of the forums. E-bay is not one of the best ways to sell membership

I can understand why people get peeved but you need to belong first and only members can rock the cradle.

Can’t wait for Nathan Danks input!

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

garyj

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2005, 10:29:25 pm »
Their website is up and running again. He seems to be a decent chap, and he loves his Prochem products.

He claims to have members in 19 regions, but doesn't list anyone, and says he has set up the organisation to show householders they aren't dealing with cowboys.

Believe it or not,because I know I like a moan on here!!, I think its unprofessional to put down other companies in your promotional material and this is exactly what he does and is a the main reason he gives for creating the BPCC. To use him above anyone else because he is trustworthy and the next guy might not be. Just by creating this org, I guess he is 'the main man' thus giving himself even more credibility in the eyes of customers.

I still think its a poorly thought out idea, which seems to offer very little. Can't believe anyone actually joined it, especially through Ebay.
I can't wait for him to appear on here either.

BUT.... If some of the respected posters on here wanted to start an organisation, then maybe in time something could be started to rival other operations because there seems to be a lot of disillusioned members around.

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2005, 10:59:13 pm »
The NCCA  is the leading British Trade  Organization for Carpet Cleaners.

Some get their money back through referals.

It has funding and a Head Office to give it Credibility.

In addition most of us have had the priveledge of meeting some of The Directors,

and they organized an excellent trade show, along with the window cleaners.

However a little competion is a good thing.

In the past people have talked about setting up a rival organization but nothing never happened.

Doug set up UK Carpet Cleaners not sure if this was intended just as a Web Site.

Nathan set up his organization and is at present promoting it on Ebay.

Gary finds that a bit unathordox thats fine.

I believe Nathan has shown inititiative I await to see how far it develops.

At least it may help THe NCCA with less people using their logo,
The Gu

scott2bclean

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2005, 09:29:34 am »
Hello

Check out ebay item 4406213038 (sorry I dont know how to give a link)

It seems others find ebay a good way to contact carpet and other cleaners.

Regards
John

Patti

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2005, 11:48:00 am »
We saw it on Ebay and thought about joining too.  We are not in the NCCA because we don't see the benefit to us or our customers.

We have 18 going on 19 years experience in the business.    A guy near us has just started cleaning carpets.  He has joined the NCCA.  Who would you trust?

gwrightson

« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2005, 08:27:44 pm »
 Pattie although not a member of the ncca myself, i would have thought that
 that the guy you are refering to , although only recently starting out in c.c
 at least has the knowledge and skills to perform the task, after all surly thats what the ncca aims are, or at least one of their aims, to ensure their members are competant , insured and capable. and if any problems do arise they are there to help.
 so in reality your posing of the question " who would you trust" is a little harsh :-\  :-\  ;) , after all I personaly have spoken to a number of c.c in my area
 even the franchises, and believe me when i say alot of them are way behind in areas of new technoligy, i.e. micro spitters , low moister methods, no jet tool etc,
  I get the strangest looks at times when micro splitters are mentioned, all this means really is they are stuck in their ways, and do not need to look further.
  Having said all that , i do not mean they are not capable, they feel they ar ok as they are .
  but i do see you point ;D
   geoff

who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2005, 09:35:47 pm »
Not knocking the NCCA but for a member isn't this one a bit cheap?

http://www.carpetkind.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Prices.htm

Shaun

mark_roberts

« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2005, 10:32:45 pm »
I couldnt even be bothered to read this post.  Its the same old tripe that has been said over the past 6 years Ive been in this business.

Im in the NCCA and while it doesnt get me lots of work directly I make it work for me in my marketing AND IT DOES make a difference to the customer.  I know because i ask them.

If Ive a problem I know Ive an official body to help me should the need arises and their newsletter is a good read too.  Their website gives me a web presence and Ive got a few good jobs from it directly.

No association is going to give you lots of work but it has lots of other benefits not mentioned above.  Sure its not perfect but whos willing to give their time for free to make a difference in this industry.  Well who??

If every cleaner in your area got trained, insured and joined the NCCA would you be worried.  I know I would.

Mark

Martin S

« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2005, 08:05:20 am »
Well said Mark
Martin

ianharper

« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2005, 08:39:50 am »
Hi Guys

I think that professional bodies are a great thing and I find it funny when people moan about them as members they have an input and if they like can take a part in the running.

One thing that many pro bodies could do is move with the times like phone call in's web chats etc. Normaly the relationship is with the member and the pro body. I think that why they come in for some much criticism is for this reason. they need to get the members talking with each other. And then listen to what is being said. Not everyone uses the web.

As has been said it take time and effort to run these organsitaions so why not let the members take part it off their hands. Iremember going to one or two london meets of BICSc very nice nice lunch meet people and get some great ideas and solve problems, but it take time out of your day. Networking has many advantages and with computers and pones systems these days it can be done without taking time to travel.

Respect

Ian Harper

Martin S

« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2005, 01:19:18 pm »
Ian,

The NCCA do have a web forum that members can participate in.  Similar to this one.
Martin

« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2005, 04:38:17 pm »
have just read all the replies to my post- thanks to all those who took the time to reply.. just to clarify things i was not slating them - i just asked the question - is it a worthwhile thing to belong to them, i wasnt just referring to ncca i was also thinking of things like woolsafe. Mark roberts referred to the post as tripe and could not be bothered to read it- then why bother to reply mark?? i would have messaged you privately mark but you havnt filled out your profile.. you said you have heard this over and over in the last six years- i have only been on this site since january so would not have been involved in preveous descussions. no doubt  other new ccs joining this site will ask the same question in the future - it dosent encourage new comers to clean it up to ask more questions does it?  i have read some other posts today which have had not so nice responses- i thought the idea of this site was to ask for advice/ take part in friendly discussions etc- perhaps i am wrong... mick

Doug Holloway

« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2005, 07:55:35 pm »
Mick,

We try to keep it nice and friendly but there will be times when things written appear harsher than is probably intended.

Cheers

Doug

scott.

« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2005, 08:49:14 pm »
From what I've seen of guys using the Ncca in their marketing...They have slated people that arnt members, and suggested to the public that they shouldnt hire people that arnt members...You can guess my feelings on the matter..Ive wanted to have a go about this for quite a while..bet they still got all their Boy scout badges too ;D

mark_lane

« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2005, 09:14:34 am »
Maybe the cc's who have never been asked for information about if they are a member of an organization or do they have any insurance are avoided by the customers that do take note of organizations,being a member of an organization gives you that extra string in your bow in  customer presentation which comes across  how seriously you take your work and having the expertise through the courses you have done before becoming a member.Your websites and information also comes up through search engines via NCCA ,Woolsafeetc.This is not detrimental to cc's who are not members,just showing some of advantages of being  one.
                              cheers mark