Paul Redden Countryfresh

Re: Suite turned patchy pink
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2010, 06:46:06 pm »
Carpet guy  excellent web link, think I will use that info for aftercare info.  ;)

So Bi Carb is not rinsed after application?
"So basically its a big vax!"

james roffey

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2010, 07:02:20 pm »
What does the Bicarb do to reverse the effects

John Milnes

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2010, 09:37:59 pm »
I would also like to know how it eliminates the colouring. The bicarb is ph7

not realy into physics but could someone enlighten me

Went back today to treat the 2 sofas. Custy says she paid a lot for them. She's not too worried thankfully and as she says, it's not life threatening.

I explained the problem and not to pay me yet untill she was happy....let em dry and if I don't hear anything I will send the bill in 2 weeks

Doug Holloway

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2010, 05:11:48 pm »
Hi Guys

Sodium bicarb is amphoteric which means it will react with both acid and alkailine.

It is used to increase alkalinity , which is not the same as alkaline but refers to the buffering effect. It effectively mops up the acidic ions and in this case will increase the pH upwards

Ammonia can also be used  to neutralise the pink colour and remove it but it is less permanent as it has no buffering effect and I believe the fabric will absorb oxygen from the air and it may turn pink again. Sodium Bicarb will prevent this because of its high alkalinity.

Cheers

Doug

Graeme@Access

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2010, 05:17:04 am »
Ammonia can also be used  to neutralise the pink colour and remove it but it is less permanent as it has no buffering effect and I believe the fabric will absorb oxygen from the air and it may turn pink again. Sodium Bicarb will prevent this because of its high alkalinity.

Doug, with ammonia you set up an equilibrium where the free base is a gas. Le Chatelier's principle leads to the suite turning pink again eventually. I have posted about this before, but basically you want an irreversible reaction.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Chatelier%27s_principle

Bicarb is a more permanent solution as it creates an irreversible reaction (well under normal conditions at least)

Carpetguy, this is chemistry not physics.

What does it do to reverse the colouring? Essentially, it grabs a proton and turns into carbon dioxide and water. In real life, it raises the ph a bit.

Hope this helps

Graeme
Access Cleaning Solutions

robert meldrum

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2010, 07:07:15 am »
Is this not a problem normaly associated with viscose / rayon. Only ever came across two instances, one caused by the customer and one by myself. Both reacted favourably to bi carb.

Doug Holloway

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2010, 09:44:11 am »
Hi Guys

Thanks Graeme, your theoretical chemistry is much better than mine!

Cheers

Doug

nevil

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2010, 10:05:46 am »
grabs a proton and turns into carbon dioxide and water

I must have missed that part on the two day course I did. ::)

Graeme@Access

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2010, 10:09:52 am »
Hi again,

Yeah the nuts and bolts are a bit more than real life needs to be honest.

Its best to think of it as an alkali that raises the pH irreversibly

Graeme
Access Cleaning Solutions

Paul Redden Countryfresh

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2010, 06:56:44 pm »
So if alkaline or acid can cause an indicator dye problem....... in the case of high alkalinity
causing pink patches what remedy would you use as bicarb raises the ph?

Paul

Mike Halliday

« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2010, 07:03:24 pm »
I've never heard of this being caused by alkalinity always acids ( that why is called an acid dye indicator ) so the bicarb' works
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

derek west

« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2010, 07:19:53 pm »
I've never heard of this being caused by alkalinity always acids ( that why is called an acid dye indicator ) so the bicarb' works

so would cleaning it with powerburst in the tank reverse this? or is bicarb the only solution?

Mike Halliday

« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2010, 07:27:21 pm »
the time it happened to me i tested it by wiping the pink area with Craftex high Ph champion, it immediately disappeared

whether powerburst would correct it i don't know, but isn't  powerburst a pre-spray so not designed to be left on the fabric
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

derek west

« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2010, 07:46:11 pm »
it was just the first high alk that i thought of, was just wondering if turning the material into a high alkali state would reverse the damage. just in case i have no bicarb on the van. all though i think i'll get some just in case. wheres the best place to get some, tesco's?.
all though there are other supermarkets out there just as good ;D ;)

it is bicarbonate of soda, isn't it?

ps... whats the mix ratio for a job like this?

John Milnes

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2010, 07:50:45 pm »
Interesting Mike, it seems Champion reversed an acid problem.

Bicarb available anywhere...co op etc in Northwich.

I'm confused!

The label on the sofa says it can be wet cleaned (which it should be) and not to be dry cleaned as there is a synthetic backing which would be damaged by the solvent.

The procedure I use is well tested over years.

The Fabric Restorer is ph 7...tested.

I tested the bicarb as being ph 7

There is neither an acid or alcaline problem.

I only use an acid rinse where the fabric is 100% cotton and there could be a browning problem, so not used on this job.

Why should there be an indicator dye in such expensive furniture which is meant to be durable and cleanable?

Manufacuring fualt....should I get in touch with the manufacturer?

Paul Redden Countryfresh

« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2010, 10:30:07 pm »
Got the idea re alkali cause from carpet guys web link:

During your spotting procedures, you may encounter drastic colour changes when using strong acid and alkalies. Some dyes used in manufacturing carpet are indicator type dyes. They are sensitive to strong acid and alkalies. They carry some of the same properties as the dyes used in the manufacture of pH indicator paper will change colour when exposed to different pH levels.

Taken from this link:

http://www.cleancare.com.au/www/273/1001127/displayarticle/1003826.html