Richard iSparkle

Re: A couple of employment questions
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2022, 10:17:55 am »
Similar situation with above stick advert on indeed, just delete those without experience.

Don’t bother with screen time phone calls at this point am only interested if they can clean windows, most think they can.
I will have a chat to them on indeed messages and ask who they have worked for and what type of work they was doing then I normally ask them to come out with me so I can see there work.
Those that are well below standards are sent packing within 10 mins ( which is 90% ).
I went through last 6 months of last year with job adverts out an got nothing but crap, so it is very much hit and miss if ur looking for an experienced window cleaner, there standards are shocking as Lord just worked for people an not have a hoot.
just after Xmas I got a lad in who I was happy with but like the buses, nothing, nothing, nothing then bang and another one came along right away, so took them both on, they doing ok.
Am happy now got all 3 of me vans out working daily so am more interested in training a young lad up now.
Unless ur plans are to stick them out in vans on there own it’s a case start off a young lad and train them up
It is painful trying to recruit staff and still crack on with ur own work so ur not falling behind.

Interesting. Very different approach to mine.

I’m looking the right attitude and personal skills. How they come across to me because they’ll be representing by business every day. So the phoencalls really useful for that.

And then what I want to see on their CV is evidence they’ve stuck at a boring job and ideally have worked outdoors.

I think cleaning windows WFP is very easy and anyone who is physically fit with the right drive can do it well enough

I reject everyone who’s worked as a window cleaner before.

I guess we all have different approaches. The phone call in my opinion will weed out those that are  obviously not suitable without wasting time to have to go and meet them all.

I'm also more in favour of getting someone with no experience but I would be interested in hearing what others think about that??

quite right, we have different approaches

yeh so i won't employ someone who's done WC before personally. I want to train them how we do it from a blank slate.

i do look for experience of manual work, ideally in something repetitive and boring.  someone who's worked outside is good too but not essential.

boring work like car valeting, factory line work, amazon delivery... if they have stuck at that for 2+ years they will love WC as its more interesting and nice moving around seeing things...

iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk