mjm

Re: Electric vans
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2020, 04:08:49 pm »
It's free road tax at present   and every dealer I have spoke to have said this  you dont pay  road take     (atm)            maybe they are hunting on for something    hmmm       

zesty

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2020, 04:20:24 pm »
Give me a straight 6 any day.

And a nice smooth diesel van.

None of this electric nonsense!

Can’t wait to see the problems in the next 30 years from battery waste (they won’t all be recycled) and the burden on the national grid.

They will inevitably need to v.e.d electric cars as well. It’s only free now as there’s only a tiny amount on the roads.

;D

olanorman

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2020, 04:24:12 pm »
I have a friend with an electric Audi, 5 years old with 30k on the clock and already the battery does not charge as well. What is the usable life of one of these vehicles?

I assume your talking about a hybrid Audi not an electric car that is 5 years old? Their first full electric car was released in 2019 - Audi e-tron.
I dont know their hybrid system, but what I do know is that how it is designed has a lot to say. Also what temperature there is and if the car is often supercharged / speed charged.

Say Tesla battery pack that is liquid cooled/heated vs Nissan Leaf that has no temperature regulation, there is a big difference in battery degradation.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-7764529/US-study-claims-Tesla-batteries-lose-just-1-performance-year.html

olanorman

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2020, 04:41:52 pm »
Give me a straight 6 any day.

And a nice smooth diesel van.

None of this electric nonsense!

Can’t wait to see the problems in the next 30 years from battery waste (they won’t all be recycled) and the burden on the national grid.

They will inevitably need to v.e.d electric cars as well. It’s only free now as there’s only a tiny amount on the roads.

;D

I have not talked to one person who bought an electric car that want to return to combustion engine. Must be a reason why I assume... ;) Why not try out a proper electric car, and see if you say the same after..? It sounds like your a man that has some interest in cars, why not try it out?

Batteries will often be reused after being installed in a car. The used market for this is defiantly there.

Smart charging is a good thing for national grind, if the whole of UK would go over to electric cars, I assume that some upgrades would have to be done, but I guess not the whole of UK would suddenly go to electric cars.. Why not google what is written about this subject ;)

dd

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2020, 05:03:15 pm »
I have a friend with an electric Audi, 5 years old with 30k on the clock and already the battery does not charge as well. What is the usable life of one of these vehicles?

I assume your talking about a hybrid Audi not an electric car that is 5 years old? Their first full electric car was released in 2019 - Audi e-tron.
I dont know their hybrid system, but what I do know is that how it is designed has a lot to say. Also what temperature there is and if the car is often supercharged / speed charged.

Say Tesla battery pack that is liquid cooled/heated vs Nissan Leaf that has no temperature regulation, there is a big difference in battery degradation.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-7764529/US-study-claims-Tesla-batteries-lose-just-1-performance-year.html
As far as I was aware it was an all electric car. (could be wrong) The fact is though that the battery will lose its ability to hold a charge over time and I do not know how practical it is to replace the battery.

olanorman

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2020, 05:16:55 pm »
As far as I was aware it was an all electric car. (could be wrong) The fact is though that the battery will lose its ability to hold a charge over time and I do not know how practical it is to replace the battery.
[/quote]

As far as I also know, some of the ability will be lost, but the loss has been much less then many expected.
Plus they are getting better with quality and how to make more durable batteries.

Its not a very big job to change battery pack on many of the cars, but many times you can get refurbished batteri pack if your out of warranty.

zesty

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2020, 06:26:51 pm »
I love cars and engines, yes.

Electric cars will come with many problems for years to come...

I’ve got a few customers who have them, they love them, but then they only do a few miles a day.

And there is no way we are going to be able to support the charging of millions of electric cars without burning huge amounts of fossil fuel  8)

The cost of them is extortionate, the range, pants. The mining for cobalt, bad. The recycling - almost non existent. Cold performance, pants. Etc etc etc.

I’ll stick with my transit custom, and bmw M140i - which is sweet as a nut! What an engine!!!!

If one day I have to switch over, then I will. But there is a huge huge amount of work to be done to phase out combustion. Huge.

dazmond

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2020, 06:30:03 pm »
i reckon itll be at least 10 years before they have a decent electric van on the market thats affordable for us window cleaners so ill stick with my diesel van for now....its got at least another 10 years life in it yet anyway.... ;D
price higher/work harder!

zesty

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2020, 06:31:47 pm »
i reckon itll be at least 10 years before they have a decent electric van on the market thats affordable for us window cleaners so ill stick with my diesel van for now....its got at least another 10 years life in it yet anyway.... ;D

Same mate, and let’s be honest Daz, we want to enjoy Our hot hatches as well  ;D 8)

dazmond

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2020, 06:38:01 pm »

Same mate, and let’s be honest Daz, we want to enjoy Our hot hatches as well  ;D 8)

too right....ill still be handing back  my GTD next year for another brand new one...love em.... :)
price higher/work harder!