Mike Halliday

Colour runs
« on: December 22, 2018, 01:07:36 pm »
I had an interesting conversation with a customer this week, a fellow carpet cleaner had advised against cleaning this suite as the colour might run, stating that reds were the most unstable colour and the red flowers might run into the brown background, the customer was impressed with his absolute BS  as he spoke with such authority😂😂

It was a great example of a little bit of knowledge being a bad thing!

This is the chair....

And this picture of the reverse side of the fabric  shows is why he was talking rubbish....

Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Shaun_Ashmore

Re: Colour runs
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 09:31:28 pm »
I’ve cleaned one of those before and the customer had the same worries I pre tested with a few different solutions I couldn’t get any colours to run, bleed or crock.

mr muzzy

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 09:39:33 pm »
so your saying red is not the most unstable ?????

DB

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 02:09:56 pm »
Likewise Shaun....

All colours (especially deep dyed colours)  should be treated with the utmost respect... do the tests.... use suitable chemicals.... know how to get the best out of your equipment

RPCCS

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 03:29:07 pm »
What would that be cleaned with then,a wool safe cleaner? I know its not wool but a wool ssfe solution would be gentler on the material?
Cheers Rich

Mike Halliday

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 05:06:03 pm »
I cleaned it with Amtechs  micro splitter and a freshwater rinse, it was an easy clean.

The point I was making about this fabric was that it did not have red flowers the whole fabric was red but where you could not see the flowers it was because the red was running along the reverse of the fabric
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

DB

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 10:14:13 am »
Mike..
Quite common to a lessor degree as well...always open up a cushion (where possible) and check backing.

RPWC...Much depends on the Woolsafe chemical... always look at the pH for a start... Check - is the chemical buffered.

RPCCS

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 04:29:39 pm »
Its a prochem product, cant remember the name.
Cheers Rich