drive surgeon

jet washing roofs.
« on: December 28, 2009, 04:49:40 pm »
seen a few people lately jet washing roofs.  i asked one guy and he said he advertises on internet. charges £300 for a semi and £400 for a average detatched.

but bear in mind you have health and safety issues here.

drive surgeon

Re: jet washing roofs.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 04:51:29 pm »
Quote from: drive surgeon on December 16, 2009, 08:50:47 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8L_biigYhE

have a look at this its easy. 

thats applying an anti-fungal treatment with a moose foam,that aint jetting it down,get yaself a good pair of boots,cat ladder, 13hp honda pressure washer,turbo lance with extension nozzle,good waterproofs and a 100ft of tube,an just go for it,done 4 in a week 2 weeks ago and got drenched!good tho!!

mark.laycock1@ntlw

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 04:57:01 pm »
not the way i have seen guys doing it.
mark

Londoner

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 09:00:26 am »
To legally work on a roof you have to put scaffolding up. Read the H&S regs.

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 10:24:50 am »
The youtube vid is cleaning shingles in the USA,.. a lot different from cleaning tiles in the UK.

You can do serious damage to roofs with a pressure washer,.. remember a lot of the roof tiles only have colour on the surface & its all to easy to take the surface off.

I like this idea: http://www.roofclean.co.uk/index.shtml but my trials with similar products so far have been less than impressive. Its very easy to kill the moss, but the dead moss doesn't drop off very quickly,.. in fact it would be months before you got a result worth telling ppl about. On the plus side most roofs can be sprayed from the ground with a pole & low pressure won't do any damage. If I can find a chem to break down the dead moss quicker I'll be a happy man!

Rob_Mac

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 10:54:16 am »
I have cleaned four roofs now, all roof tiles - all industrial and the last one was about 40 000sqm, another one booked in mid January.

Nathan - How do you do serious damage to roofs and where are the tiles that are only surface coloured. I look at domestic roofing all the time and my thinking is that the majority of roofs are tiled using solid colour.

I understand about ingress but you can do damage to any surface, when pressure washing if you don't know what you are doing.

Rob ;D

BDCS

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 12:48:49 pm »
I cleaned a garage that was covered in moss - Marley tiles covered in dark brown sand. I did one tile at about half revs and the sand come straight off but the owner said to carry on. The roof ended up looking like concrete tiles but he was happy ! I will clean anything if asked but I would'nt target domestic roofs as I think there easier jobs out there. I recently cleaned two massive gas vessels but done from the cherry picker which was far easier than crunching slates IMHO

Rob_Mac

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 12:53:13 pm »
Just remembered

Also cleaned the roof on a mansion in Tadworth - Surrey. Now that was one that I didn't want to go wrong. The MD of the company I do all my supermarket cleaning for. Took six days!!!.

On this one I had about 7 tiles break but that is not to say I broke them. they were already cracked and then any pressure on them will send them sliding down into or over the gutter. The client understood this and was not concerned.

Rob ;D

Rob_Mac

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 01:03:48 pm »
BDCS

Why not domestic roofing?

Rob ;D

mark.laycock1@ntlw

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 01:15:19 pm »
hi rob,

if you send me your details and photos of your roof cleaning you can do mine or i will pass them on i have knock loads back.

mark
mark

Rob_Mac

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 01:21:36 pm »
Mark

You have mail

Rob ;D

Rob_Mac

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 01:38:18 pm »
Just having some leaflets done for the service and will make sure you get some. In the meantime I will send you some cards - let me have your address - by email and we can go from there.

Rob ;D

cleaner-exteriors

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 02:53:11 pm »
I have cleaned four roofs now, all roof tiles - all industrial and the last one was about 40 000sqm, another one booked in mid January.

Nathan - How do you do serious damage to roofs and where are the tiles that are only surface coloured. I look at domestic roofing all the time and my thinking is that the majority of roofs are tiled using solid colour.

I understand about ingress but you can do damage to any surface, when pressure washing if you don't know what you are doing.

Rob ;D
i presume nathan is talking about concrete tiles

Rob_Mac

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2009, 03:43:31 pm »
I do very little window cleaning but I keep my hand in with a small 3 day round and on the October clean I pulled up outside a customers house and I noticed that the house over the road had had their roof cleaned. It was a right mess!!!

If you are on here you ought to be ashamed of yourself!!!!!. That was a concrete tiled roof and they had decided to start the roof and finish it without pressure washing the lip of the tiles (by the lip I mean the horizontal section that drops to overlap the tile below). Patchy, loads of moss left on it and really a terrible job.

They must have been wearing clown suits!!!. The customers were an elderly couple and I could telll when talking to them that they were not impressed.

If the concrete tiles are the same as these they would have cleaned up well - if the person operating the kit would have known what they were doing!!!. I have their details and really I ought to name and shame!

Rob ;D

mark.laycock1@ntlw

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2009, 03:48:55 pm »
hi rob,

did you get details? mark
mark

Rob_Mac

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2009, 03:53:09 pm »
Yes thanks I got them on my phone, been out and realised I have a blown filter housing on my R O unit. Luckily got a spare and have 3500 litres already to pump into the van (obviously not in one go).

I will get them sent up to you in the New Year and I will discuss a percentage for any work passed on.

Cheers

Rob ;D

Rob_Mac

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2009, 04:04:24 pm »
I am also happy to work a percentage into any roof cleaning, passed on by anyone else who gets this work but is not wanting to do the work themselves and again I am happy to discuss this further.

Rob ;D

Rob_Mac

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2009, 04:09:19 pm »
Mark

Yes and a full colouring service.

Rob ;D

BDCS

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2009, 05:38:20 pm »
I don't do roofs because I can fill the week with easier work, a lot of my week is taken with the drains but with the adoption this will dry up so I might change my tune. I clean drives but try to swerve round sealing as I prefer to clean every other year - personally I don't like really shiney drives or coloured roofs but if you can earn a slice doing it then good luck to you

mark.laycock1@ntlw

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2009, 06:57:03 pm »
oh good. speck in new year.mark
mark

drive surgeon

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2010, 06:12:52 pm »
massive profits to be made doing this.

2 lads were making a grand a day each doing this locally they said.  they had all the gear tho.

stevef78

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2010, 11:22:55 pm »
massive profits to be made doing this.

2 lads were making a grand a day each doing this locally they said.  they had all the gear tho.

you will make good money doing this,me and richy wilts from windowclean direct have recently set up a company respraying roofs offering 10 yr guarentees with multiple colours,its hard work,washing down,clearing up,maintaining machines,treating with antifungal and then recolouring,not as easy at it sounds,need good equipment to i.e sprayers etc..good luck!!

drive surgeon

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2010, 10:38:27 am »
how you finding the work?

mark.laycock1@ntlw

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2010, 11:55:32 am »
the same way your mates are finding ds.
mark

drive surgeon

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2010, 12:56:48 pm »
no mark i mean how hard are they finding the work?  is it easy or really hard  ::)  ???