Fox

Hi Lisa

Had to reply as reading that really made me giggle! (whoops sorry if it shouldn't have! ;) )

It reminds me of some of the stuff my children do.  They are older now so I expect them to sort themselves out to a certain degree but it doesn't always work!  I have a business partner who runs our branch in London and I try to get down there once a week, I have to leave the house at 6am and expect my son to get himself up and too school.  After one long day down there I arrived home that evening and found him still in bed!  He hadn't got up at all! lol

It was his birthday yesterday and I started 2 new sites last week so have been out between 6am and 8pm most days lately sorting them out, I rushed home and got to spend about an hour with him before bed!  So I understand it is difficult.

The children soon come to know that if they want nice things in life then they have to put up with you rushing around and not always having time to spend with them, just ensure the time that is spent is quality.  I believe it sets them a good example for their working life to see their carers working hard.

Don't think if you get cleaners it will be any easier, just different!  Remember alot of them will have children and want to be home when they are sick.  I don't actually 'clean' any of my sites and am still out at all hours! 

I think I read somewhere your business advisor told you not to go cleaning.  I must say I tend to agree with him.  It is good to clean each job at least once so you know the score but otherwise your time is definately spent better building and growing the business.

Fox

micsampip

:) Hi Fox,

that's very reassuring - it's not just me and my family then!!

Yes you're right, my children are going to have to get used to me working. It will be a big adjustment for me too, although I've been ready for ages.

The course today was about marketing and was very interesting, and more importantly, went without a hiccup!!

Thanks

Lisa  ;)

Jan K

Hi Lisa!

I agree with Fox about getting the kids to understand about the nicer things in life and having to work.

My kids are 9 and 12, and I have to admit I am a bit tough on them sometimes. If they complain of feeling ill before school I simply tell them they have to go but if the teachers need to contact me they know how to. They all try it on and 99% of the time they sail thro school without a backwards though on how 'ill' they were that morning  ::)

The good thing with dom cleaning (and my Clients in particular) is that they are generally happy for my girls or me to bring our kids with us if they are ill). They would rather we did that and they got their clean, than go without altogether!! It's also a lot easier for us dom cleaners to manage that too.

Ah kids dontcha jus luv 'em :)
anyone with facebook can add me at this link ...  jan 'minkeedj' kindon  .... if you can be bothered lol

micsampip

:) Yes....bless their little cotton socks. Thanks for the encouragement.  ;)

swclean1

Hi folks,

Before i go on, let me say this forum site is very informative, and a god send!!

I am quite new to the cleaning business myself, i started this March, and seem to be doing okay, but my let down is my cleans are mainly holiday lets, which are mostly seasonal, but i get a very good pay.  i don't charge by the hour i charge by the size of the property and quantity of the bedrooms, as do most down here, and like i said before it's not regular work, my husband concentrates on the window cleaning side, and i do the holiday change overs, it works brilliantly, as he helps me at the weekends when i am busy.  then in the week i go out and help window cleaning, lots of our customers comment on what a rarity it is to see a female window cleaner and chuckle about it, we have great customers!

I havn't done any business courses yet and to be honest i had never thought about it, i see to the accounts etc myself, and i do agree that you have to get out there yourself and clean to appreciate what it all entails, and yes you are right about taking on staff who are reliable and hardworking, as other small cleaning businesses we know of are struggling to keep their staff, or they ring in sick time after time.  I havn't go that far myself as i'm still new to it all, but i can earn £200 in one day from my change overs, but i now need to get regular work in.

We are all hard working mothers who are constant juggling the home, kids and business 24/7 forget the social life what one of those then????

I think you folks are doing great!!!