Mike_Boxall

Re: Everybody please read, input required!
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2005, 06:32:34 pm »
Hi Mike, are you able to tell us how much this forum has increased your sales? No confidential information obviously.

Like CMS I am dubious that web-sites actually increase sales - being more of a business support tool.

While working for a cross section of the cleaning industry I have never had an actual lead from a web-site.

In the case of CIU however I am sure that your sponsorship has been worthwhile.

Musicman

It's difficult to put figures on it but aside from obvious direct sales it has increased our exposure which in turn will lead into indirect sales in the future.

I'm not surprised that, as a contract cleaning company, the internet often doesn't appear to have much impact. Personally I don't think many consumers search for local services online but there is certainly a growing number of businesses with permanent internet connections and, for those at least, it is now easier to search online than to go through the yellow pages.

We tend to sell high value capital equipment (at competitive prices from www.expresscleaningsupplies.co.uk  ;) ) for which people are prepared to take time out to go online and research.

It's only a matter of time before service companies benefit in the same way that product companies do.

Regards

Mike

Len Gribble

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2005, 06:52:24 pm »
Musicman

I hunted high and low for the best deals Internet and phone!

Have a guess from whom, I brought my TM from and that’s before I knew of this forum.

Selling a product it’s a must!

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Musicman

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2005, 01:31:57 pm »
Hi again Mike thanks for replying and I agree with Len that when sourcing products (esp higher value items) searching through the internet is a must.

I tend to do this to get the best prices and then go to my local supplier who will match or even beat the price - this way I get the best of both worlds - price and the local service/support.

However when making decisions about commercial/contract cleaning I cannot imagine that a professional buyer would surf the net but instead would reach for that folder in the filing cabinet to delve through the mail-shots that have been put away for such an occassion.

I personally believe that more often than not it's a case of having a sales letter land on a prospects desk or a phone call at the right moment that leads to an appointment and subsequent sale.

Any leads I've obtained in the past from YP have been questionable - either very small premises or pubs - the sort of work that you don't especially want - and the premises that wouldn't have been targetted in marketing strategies.

I feel that internet links and advertising in directories is fine for domestic cleaning and even carpet cleaning as these industries cannot really carry out mail-shot campaigns - but for the commercial cleaning world I cannot see it catching on.

Just an opinion - but it doesn't mean we won't be getting a web-site soon.

Musicman
Success is where hard work meets opportunity!

Mike_Boxall

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2005, 02:39:35 pm »
Any leads I've obtained in the past from YP have been questionable - either very small premises or pubs - the sort of work that you don't especially want - and the premises that wouldn't have been targetted in marketing strategies.

I certainly know of local contract cleaners with several 1/2 page yellow pages ads who swear by it. For the larger contracts I would expect more and more people to refer to a contractors website and for that reason alone I think its worth having one.

Regards

Mike

CMS

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2005, 08:27:08 am »
There is a lot of 'guessing'.........'assuming'......etc on this thread.

Believe me, unless it's a big company who has to go through a tendering procedure, buyers appoint cleaners on impulse. The right letter in the right place at the right time.

As I have said before, in 24 years other than through tender documents I have NEVER had a Client come to me looking for a new contractor.