pdl

Re: tendering for work letters???
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2006, 11:55:48 am »
Here, Here, Well said Colin
Never ASSUME, to ASSUME makes an ASS out of U and ME              Cannock Staffordshire

jay foden

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2006, 01:37:13 pm »
 >:(       ok pal, if all the people on this forum are all top professionals then there would be no need for them to be on it or the forum to even exist!!  the idea is for people to learn and share views, not for so called 'pros' to slag  new starters off for askin for some advice,  i wrote letters myself actually but did not get lots of response so i posted to see what other people had put in there ones so i could compare ideas,  how the hell to new starters learn if pros on this site are just big heads who moan about us asking questions????

sorry mate but the forum is to help people not hinder them!!

when im well and truly established i will be helping lots of people with my experience but im that way enclined!!

by the way, my customers are always impressed by my service and friendly manners and they recommend me to lots of others,

if ya got nothing nice to say then dont say anything!! ;D
jay foden

Robert Parry

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2006, 04:43:48 pm »
To a certain extent I do agree with ColinD (again!!, people will be begin to talk!!), but I also fully  understand where Jay is coming from also.

Contract cleaning, just like window cleaning is very, very easy to get into, no formal training or accreditation required, just a few basic tools, start marketing, and your off.

The purpose of this forum and other is to share knowledge and information, however we must all remember, that there is always more than one way to skin a cat, so to speak.

Direct mail is what we are on about here, it is a method of marketing that is not for the faint hearted, it is not cheap, nor does it lend itself to small numbers, yes I know you can get lucky, but trust me not very often, the real key is constant change and accurate recording of particular mailings.

Regarding ColinD's point of view(always gets people responding, not a bad thing) yes I agree with you, lots of people enter the industry without knowing anything about the industry, you only have to look at the number of requests for help with Employment Law or Health & Safety, and the enquirers are nearly always rewarded with information, this in my opinion is very dangerous, especially if the person requesting the information actually employ's 5 or more staff, lets take a recent request for a copy of an Employment Contract, just imagine for a moment, after giving a member of staff a copy of his or hers Employment Contract, getting it signed and dated etc, a few months go by, then the employer gets a complaint about cleaning standards, the employer, quite naturally has a word with the member of staff concerned, this staff member, takes great exception to this and decides that they have been unfairly treated......
You can guess the rest!

It is not enough to obtain the various bits of paper that is required by law, you must have the systems and processes in place as well, this is, I believe(I hope!!) is one of ColinD's arguments' unless the industry takes responsibility the powers that be, surely will.

Seans point of view is also valid, but, and there is always a but, the nationals have a serious advantage over the smaller players, in that they have seperate depts. to deal with H & S, HR etc, everyone in the industry, from the smallest to the largest needs to bite the bullet and get it right from the beginning, you do not obtain these systems and processes and the documentation that comes with them for free, you do have to pay, preferably by outscoucing to the experts in these fields, no shortcuts, no ignoring the law and hoping that you will be alright, no way round it, your biggest marketing challenge is convincing your clients that this is the right way to do business. The biggest personal challenge that you face is having the courage and self belief to do it right.

If you care to look at the document download part of this forum, you will find an Employee Handbook, I would like to say that the reasons for posting this document were entirely unselfish, however, you dont get owt for nowt in this world, the reason for posting said document was really quite simple, to get those who looked at the document, to think, and I do mean think, about the laws and regulations when it comes to employing staff, the penalties for getting this wrong, are very severe, each part of that document, deals with different aspects of employment, you must have procedures and systems in place to deal with any eventuallity, same with Health & Safety and indeed other parts of legislation. Failure to do any of these things, not only risks life and limb,your reputation, but also your financial well being.

Regards,

Rob

A world of difference....

ColinD

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2006, 01:09:02 am »
Hey Jay,

Excuse me for espousing a point of view! But that’s what I thought a forum, such as this, was all about.

I have no problem with anybody entering the industry, providing they are professional in what they do and their approach to what they do.

For many years the Cleaning Industry was beset with cowboys who would start up one month, rip off what customers and staff they had and then disappear into the hills, leaving others to clear up the mess and try and prove that not all cleaning companies are amateurs.

Your posting, requesting help in constructing a sales approach letter was worrying. There is no magic wand that will allow you to write a letter that is all things to all people. Experience will tell you that every client is an individual, and as such should be treated as one.

I may have appeared to be hard on you, and yes I probably was, but in my humble opinion, I was entitled to be. As I said in my reply, it’s a fundamental. Writing letters, Health and Safety statements, begging letters to the Bank Manager or even to a client asking for overdue payment are an every day part of business, especially if you are in a service industry!

The best way to learn is from experience. What works for you may not, and probably will not work for another Contract Cleaner.

It’s called gaining experience, and how you do that is by making mistakes, learning from them and going forward having learnt that lesson. We are none of us infallible. I made some beautiful mistakes when I first started. That was so long ago that Pontius was still a Pilot and some of my older clients used to talk about the old Queen, and I don’t mean Noel Coward. (Queen Victoria).

I still make mistakes. Four marriages proves that point!

Yes the forum is for exchanging ideas and information. But since I have been a member, relatively a short while, I have read some of the most inane requests for information and help, that it becomes worrying.

May I suggest that you read back on some the requests for help and advice starting about August/September 2006. Some of the advice being sought from “newbie’s” was so fundamental that I began to despair that our Industry would ever attain a level of professionalism that our clients, our staff and the Industry as a whole deserve! I still worry. Rob made the point in his posting. If we don’t do something about how we are perceived, professionally, then you can bet your last Mince Pie that this meddling government or the mindless morons in Brussels will become involved, and that is the very last thing we need.

Have a good holiday season (Oh so very PC)

ColinD
Nils illegitimi carborundum

jay foden

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2006, 09:25:26 am »
end of discussion !!!!

hope you all have a nice christmas. thanks for sharing your views! :)
jay foden