jay foden

tendering for work letters???
« on: November 16, 2006, 06:52:53 pm »
hi there guys!! ;D

could anyone please mail me or post a copy of a letter to send to business's or managers to offer my services for contracts etc??

its all new to me and i have not got a clue. i know there are some great business's out there who could help me. please!!!!!!!!!!! ;D
jay foden

jay foden

Re: tendering for work letters???
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 03:40:58 pm »
no one any help with writing a letter to business's or councils?  can you not attach a email for me to read :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
jay foden

Kingfisher-CCS

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 01:14:36 pm »
Darling Fascist Bullyboy,
We are a contract cleaning company that believes in blah blah blah, our staff are blah blah, we can do this n that.]

We will be in touch within the next few days to come n av a look-see and give you a quote!

Love from jay
Boomshanka! may the seed of your loins be fruitfull in the belly of your woman.

(anyone remember something similar in the young ones?)

Something along those lines should do it, just try to sound professional! It helps if you can address the letter to the exact person who deals with the cleaning, otherwise it goes in the bin IMO

jay foden

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 04:21:29 pm »
what a load of trash mate. thanks for your helpfull comments. >:( >:(

i thought this forum was to help people not for tossers to write a load of bollox!! >:(
jay foden

seanmcshane

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 06:57:06 am »
same thoughts here Jay...his earlier posts have also requested information as have most people on these forums...making a rod for his own back as one day he might need a bit of help that is not in a previous post.

Paul Kettless

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 12:43:43 pm »
I think that you will find that the reply post was ment to be funny, if you forget about the context, the layout is exactly what you need to be following.

Tell them a bit about you, your company and your staff.
Tell them about the services that you provide and why they should use you.

Tell them that you will call in a few days to see if you can be of any assistance to them.

Finding out actually who to write to within the company is the key, and this can be obtained by calling or visiting, and asking the recpetionist who deals with procurement/services as you would like to contact them in writing, 8 out 10 times they weill give you a name on a compliment slip.

I hope this helps

Kind regards,
Paul
Complete Cleaning "you really can tell the difference"

shelton

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 12:56:37 pm »
You can't expect to be spoon fed everything.

One could take the view that if you cannot structure a simple letter, you shouldn't be running a business.

Get off your high horse and put some thought into it yourself.

>:(

seanmcshane

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 01:08:00 pm »
if there was no need for people to seek advice on documentation and how to structure it correctly...why on earth would the forum have a documents to download section.

http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?board=11.0

The whole idea of such a forum is an exchange of advice and experience to ensure that people like Jay do not fall at the first hurdle by sending out inappropriate letters. If the attitude of all small businesses was to keep all their experience to themselves and let the beginners sink or swim, then there would not be forums such as these.

We can all benefit from other peoples experience...when you find yourself a bit stuck, you can come onto a forum and request advice which may help your business move in the right direction and someday your experiences may be of help to others and you return the favour.

shelton

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2006, 01:15:51 pm »
And that advice has been shared by Kingfisher & then 'unfunnied' by Paul.  To then slag him/her off for not providing the exact wording and the exact layout is ridiculous.

The bones are there to use.

And you seem to forget that forums are in place for people to OFFER their services . . . no-one has a divine right to DEMAND help (and then slag it when it is forthcoming).  You'll find it's called etiquette.

Potentially, some of the longer term members might be getting fed up 'advising' on basic business processes, with those who just can't be bothered to put any thought into anything.  Next up, we'll get a request for a quotation form.  Then T&C's, then Risk Assessment, etc, etc.. . the list goes on.  Tell you what, we'll win the contracts for you and even staff them as well . .. all free of charge, bet that sounds good, doesn't it.

IMO, if you can't write a simple letter, you should have paid more attention at school.  Probably an old fashioned view, but each to their own, eh.  ;)

jay foden

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2006, 04:43:28 pm »
well said shaun.  would not want to ask him for advice !!!

i actually wrote a letter out but was simply looking to see what other people had put in there ones if they were successfull in getting work from it.  i have only been in business for two years nearly and am quiet at the moment and was simply using the forum to help me out..  if everyone was as harsh as this fella i would never get any help and would not even bother with this site.

i help others so why cant they help me.??

anyway thankyou for the sensible comments shaun, and if you see me about come over and have a chat. many thanks. ;)
jay foden

jay foden

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2006, 04:46:06 pm »
what a load of trash mate. thanks for your helpfull comments. >:( >:(

i thought this forum was to help people not for tossers to write a load of bollox!! >:(

as im new to this cleaning lark i di not understand your reply, i now do and apologise for not getting what you put,  i have had jokers and nob heads on other sites that have stopped me going on again.  cheers.
jay foden

Cinders

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2006, 10:38:10 am »
whats the need for all the bad language??
If you pay peanuts you get a monkey!

jay foden

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2006, 01:08:27 pm »
 :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

i aplologise sincerely!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wont use it again. :-[ :-[ :-[ :)
jay foden

Kingfisher-CCS

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2006, 02:52:31 pm »
I was trying to help, but in a humourous way. I think I have given you good advice about finding out the name of the right person, and the basic structure.

It's not that hard to write a letter, that's why I played around with a sketch that was on the young ones when Neil wrote a letter to his bank manager, obviously no-one realised. Nevermind.

I don't feel I should apologise I was the only one who replied to your request for a while.

If you cant think what to put in a letter try thinking about what a good cleaning company has to offer, or write to a few cleaning companies pretending to be somebody needing a cleaner and ask for information of what they have to offer, go on internet sites of all major cleaning companies in the uk.

Think about what a letter is actually going to do. If they dont require a new cleaning contract they'll either throw it or file it, if they are thinking about having a new cleaning company they MAY ring you when they have the time.

The letter, in my opinion, is just like an ice breaker. But, you HAVE to call them back because most companies aren't THAT bothered or are too busy.

So really, all you need to say is LIKE I FIRST SAID,
Dear Mr/Mrs (whatever their name is, which you should already have found out)
We are a new/local/large/small cleaning company operating in the (whatever area you operate in),
mention things like being insured,
our staff are fully trained and where uniforms
our standards are exceptionally high
just re-write stuff that you have RESEARCHED from other cleaning websites and put them in different words.

I have been running my business for about 6 months and try not to ask people for info unless I'm really stuck or if it's something that wont be taking somebody else's hard work away.

Look at my previous posts and I have never asked for somebody to GIVE me anything (risk assessments, tender/quote examples etc) because I always look in the archives first.

I spent 8 months researching stuff off this forum while I was working approx 60 hrs a week cleaning for other cleaning companies MOST info you will find if you do a lot of searching and sifting through.

Hope I have helped now, I don't like to be regarded as a tosser! :-\

jay foden

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2006, 04:17:40 pm »
i apologise as i said, im sorry.  i have been on previous forums and they give you a load of bull back so i should have read ir properly. sorry again and thanks for the info.. :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
jay foden

Kingfisher-CCS

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2006, 10:50:59 pm »
Ok, no probs Jay.
all the best.

jay foden

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2006, 11:08:54 pm »
thank you!!! ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
jay foden

peter1972

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2006, 05:12:41 pm »
Here are a few copies of mailshots I bought on ebay for a few pounds. I don't use these exact mailshots myself, as I only manage cleaners and don't do any cleaning personally, but I have had some success with mailshots if enough are sent out to suitable firms.

Letter 1

Does your office need cleaning?

Are you looking for an experienced, reliable person to clean your office around your schedule?
Then look no further!

I can clean your office on weekends or evenings when it is convenient for you.  I can provide references that speak of my neatness and integrity.  Please contact me at the phone number or e-mail address below for a free quote on regular office cleanings.

Sincerely,

( Your Name)

Letter 2

To Whom It May Concern:

My name is                         , and I clean offices in the (name of your city) area. I would like to clean your office and can work around your schedule so that it is convenient for you and your employees.  I own my own cleaning business and hire no employees.  Therefore, I would be the only person to enter your office.  I am able to provide references that speak of my neatness, reliability, and integrity.  Please contact me at the phone number or e-mail address below if I can be of any service to you. 

Sincerely,
(Your Name)

jay foden

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2006, 07:19:35 pm »
many thanks for the reply and idea!!!! ;D ;D
jay foden

ColinD

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2006, 06:29:31 pm »
Hey, folks hold on, slow down. Is this not a repition of a posting some months ago?

Here we are, supposedly, all "professionals" and some member ask's how we would write a letter to introduce his business to a client.

Hey ho! What the hell is going on. This just proves the point. If you cannot even write a letter, what the hell are you doing in the most important business in the country. What are doing? Supporting a bunch of amateurs!

It's basic, if you cannot communcate how the bl**dy h**l
will you be able to communicate with staff, write an H & S statements, commincate with clients on every day matters. This just boggles the brain.

This is why this industry is becoming controlled by the big boys, because they know how to do it. The inept will take remove from us, the happy small professionals, that are the real ethos of the business, any credibilty!

If you cannot write a simple letter of introduction, go away and learn! Let's just hope you have a more professional approach to delivering the actual service and product.

ColinD
Nils illegitimi carborundum

pdl

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2006, 11:55:48 am »
Here, Here, Well said Colin
Never ASSUME, to ASSUME makes an ASS out of U and ME              Cannock Staffordshire

jay foden

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2006, 01:37:13 pm »
 >:(       ok pal, if all the people on this forum are all top professionals then there would be no need for them to be on it or the forum to even exist!!  the idea is for people to learn and share views, not for so called 'pros' to slag  new starters off for askin for some advice,  i wrote letters myself actually but did not get lots of response so i posted to see what other people had put in there ones so i could compare ideas,  how the hell to new starters learn if pros on this site are just big heads who moan about us asking questions????

sorry mate but the forum is to help people not hinder them!!

when im well and truly established i will be helping lots of people with my experience but im that way enclined!!

by the way, my customers are always impressed by my service and friendly manners and they recommend me to lots of others,

if ya got nothing nice to say then dont say anything!! ;D
jay foden

Robert Parry

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2006, 04:43:48 pm »
To a certain extent I do agree with ColinD (again!!, people will be begin to talk!!), but I also fully  understand where Jay is coming from also.

Contract cleaning, just like window cleaning is very, very easy to get into, no formal training or accreditation required, just a few basic tools, start marketing, and your off.

The purpose of this forum and other is to share knowledge and information, however we must all remember, that there is always more than one way to skin a cat, so to speak.

Direct mail is what we are on about here, it is a method of marketing that is not for the faint hearted, it is not cheap, nor does it lend itself to small numbers, yes I know you can get lucky, but trust me not very often, the real key is constant change and accurate recording of particular mailings.

Regarding ColinD's point of view(always gets people responding, not a bad thing) yes I agree with you, lots of people enter the industry without knowing anything about the industry, you only have to look at the number of requests for help with Employment Law or Health & Safety, and the enquirers are nearly always rewarded with information, this in my opinion is very dangerous, especially if the person requesting the information actually employ's 5 or more staff, lets take a recent request for a copy of an Employment Contract, just imagine for a moment, after giving a member of staff a copy of his or hers Employment Contract, getting it signed and dated etc, a few months go by, then the employer gets a complaint about cleaning standards, the employer, quite naturally has a word with the member of staff concerned, this staff member, takes great exception to this and decides that they have been unfairly treated......
You can guess the rest!

It is not enough to obtain the various bits of paper that is required by law, you must have the systems and processes in place as well, this is, I believe(I hope!!) is one of ColinD's arguments' unless the industry takes responsibility the powers that be, surely will.

Seans point of view is also valid, but, and there is always a but, the nationals have a serious advantage over the smaller players, in that they have seperate depts. to deal with H & S, HR etc, everyone in the industry, from the smallest to the largest needs to bite the bullet and get it right from the beginning, you do not obtain these systems and processes and the documentation that comes with them for free, you do have to pay, preferably by outscoucing to the experts in these fields, no shortcuts, no ignoring the law and hoping that you will be alright, no way round it, your biggest marketing challenge is convincing your clients that this is the right way to do business. The biggest personal challenge that you face is having the courage and self belief to do it right.

If you care to look at the document download part of this forum, you will find an Employee Handbook, I would like to say that the reasons for posting this document were entirely unselfish, however, you dont get owt for nowt in this world, the reason for posting said document was really quite simple, to get those who looked at the document, to think, and I do mean think, about the laws and regulations when it comes to employing staff, the penalties for getting this wrong, are very severe, each part of that document, deals with different aspects of employment, you must have procedures and systems in place to deal with any eventuallity, same with Health & Safety and indeed other parts of legislation. Failure to do any of these things, not only risks life and limb,your reputation, but also your financial well being.

Regards,

Rob

A world of difference....

ColinD

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2006, 01:09:02 am »
Hey Jay,

Excuse me for espousing a point of view! But that’s what I thought a forum, such as this, was all about.

I have no problem with anybody entering the industry, providing they are professional in what they do and their approach to what they do.

For many years the Cleaning Industry was beset with cowboys who would start up one month, rip off what customers and staff they had and then disappear into the hills, leaving others to clear up the mess and try and prove that not all cleaning companies are amateurs.

Your posting, requesting help in constructing a sales approach letter was worrying. There is no magic wand that will allow you to write a letter that is all things to all people. Experience will tell you that every client is an individual, and as such should be treated as one.

I may have appeared to be hard on you, and yes I probably was, but in my humble opinion, I was entitled to be. As I said in my reply, it’s a fundamental. Writing letters, Health and Safety statements, begging letters to the Bank Manager or even to a client asking for overdue payment are an every day part of business, especially if you are in a service industry!

The best way to learn is from experience. What works for you may not, and probably will not work for another Contract Cleaner.

It’s called gaining experience, and how you do that is by making mistakes, learning from them and going forward having learnt that lesson. We are none of us infallible. I made some beautiful mistakes when I first started. That was so long ago that Pontius was still a Pilot and some of my older clients used to talk about the old Queen, and I don’t mean Noel Coward. (Queen Victoria).

I still make mistakes. Four marriages proves that point!

Yes the forum is for exchanging ideas and information. But since I have been a member, relatively a short while, I have read some of the most inane requests for information and help, that it becomes worrying.

May I suggest that you read back on some the requests for help and advice starting about August/September 2006. Some of the advice being sought from “newbie’s” was so fundamental that I began to despair that our Industry would ever attain a level of professionalism that our clients, our staff and the Industry as a whole deserve! I still worry. Rob made the point in his posting. If we don’t do something about how we are perceived, professionally, then you can bet your last Mince Pie that this meddling government or the mindless morons in Brussels will become involved, and that is the very last thing we need.

Have a good holiday season (Oh so very PC)

ColinD
Nils illegitimi carborundum

jay foden

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2006, 09:25:26 am »
end of discussion !!!!

hope you all have a nice christmas. thanks for sharing your views! :)
jay foden