lisa123

tender for h/association
« on: February 03, 2006, 05:01:09 pm »
Do you think i have a chance with a housing association tender if i have nothing in the bank?  :)

I have got a lot of work to do, tender has been put upon my lap. deadline for return 12 noon 10th FEB
Communal areas in 2 propertys.

All supplies and equipment to be provided by contractor
general dusting, polishing, spot wiping, de-cobwebbing
Vacuumed on a weekly basis
Mopped tiles with appropriate cleaner
Furniture to be dusted, and'or vacuumed to keep visually clean
wordwork, frames skirting and sills to be wiped down as appropriate

Areas are:
fron and rear stairs, all corridors, both blocks
laundry area
Bin Area
Communal entrances
on site office
Weekly basis - does this mean once per week?

Other one is:
front and rear stairs, all corridors
communal entrances
Weekly basis

Any ideas on what to charge and duration? I am so new at pricing these things
up.

I would have to provide safety policy
COSHH assessment
Work activity risk assessment
manual handling assessments
Noise assessment
System of work (method procedures)
Training of use of equipment and for road signing adjoining the highway?!

Where do i start???

garyj

Re: tender for h/association
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 05:11:19 pm »

Where do i start???

Where you always start, right here!!!

Some tenders will want bank references to make sure you are not going to go bust on them 6 months down the line into a 12month or 2, 3 year contract, so that might go against you.

However as this is such a small tender, they might not bother.

If you do get it, I hope CMS is on his computer 24/7 to help with the onslaught of questions.

Good luck

lisa123

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 05:19:38 pm »
Thanks garyj

I'll get on and see if I can update I disagreeessments etc.

CMS

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2006, 05:28:32 pm »
Lisa

What area is it in? Do you want me to take a look at it as I'm in Shrewsbury tomorrow?

If you were worried about bank references etc. I could always put the tender in and let you run it if we win it? Just a thought.....................

lisa123

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2006, 07:13:26 pm »
hi cms
how would that work?

theres a number to ring, its not a shrewsbury one though. so they might not be available tomorrow

CMS

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2006, 07:31:39 pm »
Have you got the tender documents yet? Or is it just a phone number you have? You say it fell in your lap.................how?

I suppose it would work like this.

I put the tender in on behalf of CMS and you would do the work for us if we win it. That way you would probably have a better chance of the work as we're more established (and I think, more experienced).

It was just a thought but I suppose it depends on how you got the chance in the first place and how far down the road you are with it.

garyj

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2006, 09:23:39 pm »
Of course it fell in her lap, it probably slapped her around the face a few times with a wet kipper before she realised it was there.

CMS

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2006, 09:46:04 pm »
Do I detect a lttle tension there?

lynngc

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2006, 09:51:34 pm »
lisa,
give the guy's a feather duster, before the gloves come out.

well done girl.

lynn
lynn @ gower cleaning services, swansea.

garyj

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2006, 10:33:56 pm »
 ;D

In all seriousness Lisa I would take CMS up on his very kind offer. He could teach you very quickly what it has taken many of us years to learn.

I wish I had an offer like that when I was starting out.

lisa123

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2006, 10:50:51 pm »
put your handbag down gary  ;D

A good carpet cleaner friend gave it to me today thank you very much.  ;)

errr, the paperwork not you know what  ;D

garyj

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2006, 10:54:29 pm »
LISA,  snap his hand off.

SAY YES TO CMS.

DO IT

NOWWWWWWWWW

Jan K

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2006, 07:53:54 am »
hey lisa, nice to see the work is coming in, go for it and good luck :)

Jan
anyone with facebook can add me at this link ...  jan 'minkeedj' kindon  .... if you can be bothered lol

lisa123

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2006, 09:50:32 am »
thanks for your support everyone.
I'm asking cms if he will help me out on this one. Even if he owns the tender and i run it, its the experience that i need.

lyn taylor

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2006, 05:57:15 pm »
Hi its Lyn from selfclean, you are right CMS would not offer on the forum at all, if they were not honest and wanting to help, the trouble and problem with this forum there are some very nice people on here,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but some are just beyond understanding......go for it,  grow and be happy, and if I can offer any help I will, I managed to seal and keep four Blue chip companies, thats not clever, but I did it......so keep going and take all the help you can get, it may cost you a little, but who got more without paying for it.  any one who says they have..................think about it............Good Luck always Lyn

CMS

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2006, 07:04:40 pm »
You're right. I would not offer to help in an open forum (where everyone can witness it) unless it was genuine.

The problem is, of course, that this offer was made last night as I was in Shrewsbury this morning. I'm now back in Wales, with no response last night from Lisa, I'm afraid we've missed the boat.

Oh well........................

I think we've all got something to learn from this  :-X :-X

CMS

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2006, 10:56:26 pm »
Just another point about it 'Maybe costing Lisa a bit'.....................

I was going to 'sub' it at the same price that I got it for. What's more, I was going to pay Lisa by Standing Order and do the 'credit control' myself (chasing payment)..............just to help her get a foot on the ladder.

I suppose some folks just don't need the help  ??? ??? ???

lyn taylor

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2006, 05:20:33 am »
silly girl, what a nice thing to consider....................regards lyn selfclean

lisa123

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2006, 10:37:34 am »
excuse me, i am not a silly girl!!!

I do have a personal life, and i'm sorry i couldn't get back to everyone sooner, but i did say to karl that they probably couldnt let us see the properties as it was saturday and they are not even based in shrewsbury.
I emailed the housing association and phoned but there was no answer or reply.

I always knew karl was being very generous and serious about this.
I will not ask in the future.

Apologies to anyone reading this and feeling my anger...........(I have been back and to, to hospital with my mum these last few days. I dont appreciate being called a girl, when i am a full grown woman!

Rant over.

Tim Downer

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2006, 07:06:33 pm »
Lisa

Please do not let the ravings from a few of our members get to you.....especially while your mum has not been well!!

However, your comment about not asking again in the future......if you do get anything else that you need help with....if you don't want to post it here on the forum.....give CMS an email or a call.....if he can help that would be a boost for you.
Don't let people bring you down.

Kind Regards

Tim

Tim Downer
Manager

"The difference between Ordinary and Extraordinary.....is that little Extra"

CMS

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2006, 08:09:05 pm »
Yes, do that. Hope your Mum's OK.

garyj

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2006, 09:37:35 pm »
Lisa, I hope your mother is getting better.

With all due respect though the people who employ you to do a job don't actually care about your private life.

Hard but true.

The last thing a lot of companies want to worry about is the cleaning. Thats why they employ a contractor to do it for them, we take all the hassle that goes with it, and thats why on the whole we can charge a half decent rate for doing so.

My dad died 2 years ago ( on a Saturday ), I still went into a company to check everything was going OK ( a big initial clean-up for a new contract ) the next day. I never told anyone there what was going on in my personnal life, because its not their business and no-one would give a damn either, its just not professional. Work and home are two seperate lives, you have to keep it that way.

CMS to me comes across as a sincere honest bloke who does more than his fair share of helping others beyond what we expect from a forum, I've been in this business 6 years and learn things from him that  he has posted. I've said this before, but if he would have offered me the chances he has offered you when I started out I would have bitten his hand off. To not even get a reply to the offer, is ignorant in the extreme.

Life is hard, being in business is harder.
Employment is the easy option, days off with the 'flu', cold, sniffles, headache, kids ill, hangover or what ever. Being your own boss is a responsibility to your clients , your staff and to yourself.

Go ahead all, bite my head off.

lisa123

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2006, 09:40:32 pm »
sorry everyone, maybe i was a bit hot under the collar. I have calmed down now.
Was having a tough time with mums sudden illness, shes on meds now so is doing better thanks.
The housing association still haven't returned my call as to if i'm allowed to quote or not, so this has all been a bit pointless. I did have a sneaky peak at one of the properties, but thought it best not to send a quote as i hadn't had permission. At least i'll know what to do for next time.
Never the less, I have learned a lot from everyone, especially Karl, who is worth his weight in gold!  :-*

Gary, he did get a reply, in an email if you ask. I see what you are saying though. At (only just) 28 i've still got a lot to learn obviously.

garyj

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2006, 09:51:55 pm »
Lisa, believe it or not, I'm not much older than you. Sorry for an inaccuracy or two, but on the whole..................???

Glad to hear your mums on the mend.

At least give me a bit of stick  ;)

lisa123

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2006, 11:08:35 am »
you up for a bit of banter gary?  ;) ;)