kordun

Advise on large tennis court cleaning
« on: December 15, 2011, 11:07:54 pm »
Hi Guys
I occasionally do pressure cleaning work for large landscaping company and now they asked me to go and have a look and quote tennis courts cleaning. One place has 4 courts and other place 6 tennis courts all one big area.
I have cleaned few domestic courts but nothing on this scale. What would be best method and what to charge. There is easy access to water, plenty of space around and both courts are about 10yeras old with moss on it.

Many thanks

Cliff Horne

Re: Advise on large tennis court cleaning
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 06:05:25 am »
I do mostly tennis court cleaning,
What surface are they?

If they are porous macadam (most likely) I clean them with fsc then jet rinse, I would charge from £375 (up to £750) for a single, on blocks of three more from about £300, depends on condition of courts, water supply, location etc.
Allow at least a day per court when pricing.
If its an acrylic you will have to be more careful as they can need recolouring and synthetics are a no-no with pressure washing.

Any pics?

Cliff
Smart like a donkey, hung like Einstein

kordun

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 12:00:48 pm »
Hi, sorry forgot to mention, its Tarmac surface apparently in good condition. Going to see that on Monday

mike roberts

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 07:19:41 pm »
cliff - Interested do you carry out re painting  ??? ???

Cliff Horne

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 08:15:42 am »
I used to but have retired from doing that now,

I have a contact that does a very very good job, if your interested I can give you his number.

Cliff

mike roberts

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 01:39:22 pm »
Is he nationwide then ?
something we were considering as we clean alot of tarmac for schools etc, have a good guy that lays therm plastic markers he is national.. obviously not suitable for 'proper' courts, interested how its applied assume airlesss for binder + paint plus what u use  ;D as sure you know it has to meet slip stds
thks Mike

Cliff Horne

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 04:50:42 pm »
Mike

You can call me on 07980 273975

Kenny83

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 06:06:49 pm »
http://www.tennis-court-maintenance.co.uk/Tennis_Court_Maintenance/Home.html

this guy seems to be an expert, saw a few of his videos on youtube, check them out on his website, he uses jetting machines that do 100 litres per minute!!!!!
Pressure Washing -
www.powerwashcleaning.co.uk

mike roberts

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 06:45:09 pm »
Mike

You can call me on 07980 273975

If ok will give you a buzz 2mw thks Cliff
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lee how can that be true figures dont stack up ?? He only uses 2 taps - I have trouble with domestic taps to keep up with 15ltrs/min  - hence tank ??? ??? I looked at videos yesterday funny enough ... he also says he uses a 1100 ltr bowser so that lasts just 10minutes!!  ;D ;D

Sending u email  ;D

Blast Away

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 06:48:40 pm »

this guy seems to be an expert, saw a few of his videos on youtube, check them out on his website, he uses jetting machines that do 100 litres per minute!!!!!

Watched one video so far of his and my impression is he's full of sh*t. He says whirl-a-ways falls apart. Ours haven't, that's because they're looked after.

Seems like one of them, his way or no way types with the bulls*it spiel to gain his work with, in the majority of cases when dealing with tennis courts are dithering old people on 'the commitee'.

mike roberts

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 07:16:19 pm »

He says whirl-a-ways falls apart. Ours haven't, that's because they're looked after.

Thats the only thing he said that i agreed with  ;D ;D

- my only problem with them is the robbing dual pumps ******** >:( >:( and that they are over engineered  :o and they are yellow  ;D ;D and the blue handles rust and the foam handle grips rip off (foam seriously!)and the wheels fall off and go out of shape! and the castors stop working and the spray bar breaks and you get it welded and it breaks again welded again and breaks again and you have to keep topping up the grease and if you pump to much in it comes out of the bottom all over the nice clean drive and  ........ apart from that theeere greeaat  ;D ;D sorry think may have hijacked post what was it about again whops...   ::)

Cliff Horne

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 08:38:37 pm »
Have a look at how he uses a single brush on the back of a quad to distribute the sand, these brushes are usually at least three different types of bristle on a steel frame  :o

If he rode at that speed what would that do to the carpet which is not fixed down to the macadam underneath, and the brush would more than likely just ride over the top  ::)

I havent heard of him before (that doesnt mean anything) I've been building courts for 30 years  ???

Dont remove the net for cleaning, just use three bungees to hold it up in situ, Use hypo on the top, clean your court, release bungees and rinse net and posts, job done  ;D

Cliff Horne

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 08:40:57 pm »
I'd like to see his kit

Kenny83

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 09:16:55 pm »

Watched one video so far of his and my impression is he's full of sh*t. He says whirl-a-ways falls apart. Ours haven't, that's because they're looked after.

Seems like one of them, his way or no way types with the bulls*it spiel to gain his work with, in the majority of cases when dealing with tennis courts are dithering old people on 'the commitee'.

haha, say it how it is Lee.
Ive personally never ever heard of a machine that could do 100 litres per minute at 100 bar, it would definitely lift you off the ground... I would have thought... litterally lift you! i would have thought this as the concrete cutters do 20,000 psi but only flow @ 15 - 25 litres per min, anything higher they wouldn't be able to hold it... so I believe anyway, I'm no expert on them type of machines though
Pressure Washing -
www.powerwashcleaning.co.uk

kordun

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 10:10:43 pm »
Went to see one of them today 6 tennis court, about 3300 sq metre, tarmac surface easy access to water
Their maintenance company tried to clean it but they damaged tarmac in some places as they used turbo nozzle on it

BDCS

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 11:14:16 pm »
We're all agreed he's talking out of his sitting area ! He'd need to suck water straight out of the resivoir. £12 for a stick cut to the right length and available in delux. If you believe him we will need a fire truck to wash toffs tennis courts.

Cliff Horne

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2011, 06:41:44 am »
Kordun

These are not really "tennis courts" just a play ground with court markings.

Treat as you would a tarmac drive, Probably just lance off.

Cliff

mike roberts

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2011, 07:15:33 am »
Kordun,
Run the largest dia Mosmatics you can we also use water brooms for rinsing tarmac find its quicker + better results than var lance set them up so they wash off to the side.

Dont know about others but always found very hard to train someone to rinse down properly!
Should be eassssy ... when tarmac drys missed rinsed areas stick out like a sore thumb! hence the water brooms.

THis is the type of work we were doing during summer hols for schools in a day 3 operators / mcs we were cleaning around 1300 -1500 sq m a day ... problem you will have now is the weather if its below freezing very hard to remove all moss, takes forever. :o + lots of water but not 100ltrs / min  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Have used turbos around fencing etc but must know what you are doing trying to achieve ie use it at much greater height less pressure larger size noz as to cause no damage  ;D ;D

mike roberts

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2011, 07:19:56 am »
I'd like to see his kit

Funny that all the talk about the kit but its not shown - how strange  ;D ;D

Cliff Horne

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2011, 09:53:40 am »
£48'000 to develop his kit  :-X
2700 courts cleaned  :-X = 240 working days a year @ 1 per day will take him 11years
Where does he find so many  :o with most tennis court builders/restorers/colour sprayers cleaning there own  ::)
I only clean 40+ per year, mostly courts I have built over the past 20 odd years I have lived in Cornwall  :'( I must be doing something wrong then