*Chris Browne

Re: weebsites need help
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2005, 11:41:31 am »
I second what paul said , you get what you pay for , if you submit your site correctly in can be beneficial, i pay around £30 a year and get around 50-60 hits a day, ,yesterday i did a quote and found that the prospective client had printed all my pages off my site!  which is where she got all our details from.
So they DO work, they dont have to be all singing, just informative and submited correctly

Chris ;)

CMS

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2005, 12:34:50 pm »
So...........................

My site is up and running but submission is something I know nowt about.

How do I do it? Do I use these 'automated submission companies'?

Can anyone point me to a site?

What are meta tags?

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

BSF

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2005, 09:12:46 pm »
Hi CMS,

I’ve just had a look at the coding in your site, it was built with Microsoft front page 4.0
Meta names are used for several purposes. Two are “description” (a description of a page or site), and “author” (the name of the person who produced the pages)

Your site hasn’t got a rating, <meta name=”rating” content=”general” /> add this within the meta tags.

It also hasn’t got a keyword meta tag, <meta name=”keywords” content=”cms, cleaners, office cleaning, etc, etc, (add all your key words from your site here) />

It hasn’t got a description tag, <meta name=”description” content=”cms cleaning services” />

Keywords should consist of single words or phrases, leave out common words such as “the” “and” remember to use plural forms of words as well as their singular form. These terms need to be typed into the html code in the appropriate format so that the search engine will recognise it.

The basic methods of selecting keywords are, put yourself in the position of the surfer, searcher or researcher using a search engine to find your pages, try and predict what they would use, take the important words out of your text and description and put them in your keywords.

There are three ways of getting listed,

Do it yourself, use an automated search engine submission service, hiring a firm to manage it for you.

Getting a good listing on the major search engines is kind of the holy grail of internet marketing.

Be patient, realise when you start that you wont get listed right away, most of the search engines and directories can take four to eight weeks to list your site.

Try this site http://www.ineedhits.com

One last tip if you submit the site yourself is, don’t repeatedly submit the site, search engines are programmed to exclude sites which spam them.

This is a massive subject, I could waffle on all night about it, lastly if you want a top position on google you pay for it, (adwords) I mean if someone types in cleaners in Hampshire, you can place a bid on this search term, if you get the price right, you will have the top position on google, but you pay for the click.

But that click could get you a nice little earner.

Regards

Paul

Regards

BSF

CMS

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2005, 10:38:35 am »
Many thanks for your informative reply.

I'll have a play around with the site later but taking a break now - we're off to see Peter Wite in Altrincham tonight.

www.peterwhite.com

It's time for a bit of leisure methinks  :) :) :)

Jan K

Re: weebsites need help New
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2005, 09:38:03 pm »
yell did mine, i couldn't be bothered to do it myself, got enough on my plate as it is. It does the job!

www.donendusted.org
anyone with facebook can add me at this link ...  jan 'minkeedj' kindon  .... if you can be bothered lol