Andy Foster

Re: £100 an hour
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2008, 01:56:52 pm »
If you are unable to make a decent living from charges which return you a net profit of £20 - £40 an hour you are not running an efficient business and simply bumping up your prices will not help you.

What complete and utter rubbish, how dare you tell me what I should be happy with earning and that my business is not efficient if I need to or wish to earn more than £40 an hour!!!

If we all listened to your advice then we would be leading lives of mediocrity, working 8 hours a day, 5/6 days a week just to make a decent income.  Instead we strive to make our and our families' lives better by increasing the value of our businesses and as a result our incomes. (Currently I am working 7 days a week at least 10 hours a day to get myself to this position by the way.)

I say, charge what the market allows you to.  By doing this, you not only give the customer what they want at the price they expect, but you also increase the image of the industry as a whole making life better for everyone.

I'm glad I didn't listen to people like you when I was starting out because I would probably still be punching a computer for a living.

There is too much emphasis on what can be earned on here and not the lifestyle that can be achieved.
The lifestyle YOU want determines the price YOU charge and the hours YOU work. Simple as that.

Yours truly vented.

Andy

« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2008, 02:19:34 pm »
Carpet Guy

Who do you think you are, the Income Police? What gives you the right to determine what people charge.

You have brought up this comparison with doctors and dentists before, so what if we earn more than them. It's their choice how much they earn just like us in our business.

Is one of these Hip Hop rapper idiots worth tens of millions? Well obviously the kids think so. Is a Nurse worth no more than £18k ? apparently not. The world isn't fair and your not going to change it.

Your post ought to carry a government health warning.

Warning reading this post will seriously damage your income and self worth.

carpet guy

« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2008, 05:22:04 pm »
Don't get your knickers in a twist children  >:( >:(

I've already told you that I take between £50 and  £70 an hour occasionally more. Have earned a lot more in the past when employing.

Just reckon there are a few fiction writers around forums. A bit like Pub Talk and the newer, or less experienced in the industry must wonder what the reality is.

Had a look at your site Mr Foster, interesting name. " Does it relate to your charges ?"

If you only get one side to a discussion it's boring and achieves nothing, you need some one to stir up controversy and at the same time encourage the people at the lower end of the earnings ladder. They constantly get insulted with conceited and demeening comments, not from everyone, there are plenty fair minded and well intentioned posts to encourage the new and the inexperienced, but I never could stand the type, who constantly tells you how well they're doing.

Anyway I shall leave you to your back slapping self congratulatory selves and not keep you from your fantastic and enviable lifestyles.

Bye ;D ;D

Andy Foster

« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2008, 05:25:34 pm »

Had a look at your site Mr Foster, interesting name. " Does it relate to your charges ?"

???  ???  ???

Not sure what you mean to be honest.

carpet guy

« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2008, 05:29:01 pm »
You mean you chose that statement, without considering the double meaning ?

Andy Foster

« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2008, 05:31:18 pm »
The name is 'AF Systems' not sure what else it could mean?

If you mean my strapline, then of course.

carpet guy

« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2008, 06:01:51 pm »
WOW   ::) ::) ::)

Andy Foster

« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2008, 07:19:28 pm »
WOW   ::) ::) ::)

Strange... very strange!

colin thomas

« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2008, 07:30:32 pm »
the only thing i would say on this thread is that i cleaned a 2 bed appartment the other day, 3 flights up and it took me 2½ hours and the customer was over the moon. did dave use a stair tool to clean that carpet? for someone with so much experience he seems to take a long time to complete a job!

colin
colin thomas

carpet guy

« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2008, 07:52:12 pm »
 Colin                                                                                                                         Naaaaaaaaaaaaa   I'll take a back seat !

Andy
It was supposed to be subtle sarcasm !

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2008, 07:54:47 pm »
The truth is that earn rates are a matter of swings and roundabouts. Yeah, sure you can earn £100 per hour on some jobs and less on others and a lot less on some others, but so what, as long as you make the living that you think you're worth.

Simon

markpowell

« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2008, 08:09:59 pm »
ITS NOT WHAT YOU EARN ITS WHAT YOUR LEFT WITH AFTER PAYING ALL YOUR OVERHEADS, IF YOU HAVE A NEW VAN AND TRUCKMOUNT ALL ON TTHE TICK THEN YOU PROBABLY NEED £100 AN HOUR. A GUY WITH A VAN THATS PAID FOR AND A DECENT PORTY CAN HAVE THE SAME LIFESTYLE ON £40.00 AN HOUR. ??? ???
MARK

carpet guy

« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2008, 08:36:50 pm »
 A good and reasonable post Simon

I intend to please many of you by stating " this is my last posting on this subject and possibly any other subject on here I'm well aware that I get up a few noses, but never maliciously and I only ever attempt to offer an alternative view or address the balance when I feel untruths or exagerations or just plain stupidity is posted, which is quite often "

Back to Simon's post
                                                                                                                                                           Some, in fact many people, have no understanding of the concept of "Worth " just as some have no concept of " value for money "

Many will go through their entire lives undervaluing themselves, just getting on with it, it's a shame, particularly when many are giants among their fellow man, in their contributions to their profession, trade, or just their workplace. But it's the way it is.

They may cry themselves to sleep at night, or develop ulcers, from inner frustration, but nobody notices and those who benefit just take them for granted.

Natures " pecking order " controls all of us and the vast majority slot into their box, without realising it and go through life blissfully unaware or unconcerned about how others see them.

Then there are the Mavericks who " do it their way " They can be spectacularly successful, some have huge successes and equally huge failures.

Helping people along the way is admirable and positive, but everyone has their level and I just feel it's unfair to offer false expectation.

Motivation, yes, but reduce the size of the carrot, stop offering unattainable dreams to people who will never achieve them, realism is moderation.

Be Happy

liahona

« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2008, 09:00:49 pm »
Colin, it took me about 15 mins to clean the room, so not sure how much quicker I could have been.  The rest was set up and take down as I had explained, thats what took the time.

Best, Dave.

colin thomas

« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2008, 09:45:27 pm »
dave, sorry, but that was my point, i run a truck-mount and i don't take that long to run hoses into and out of a job, ever.

colin
colin thomas

liahona

« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2008, 10:42:08 pm »
Colin, each solution hose apart from the one to the wand is put inside another vac hose.  No not a vac hose that is being used to recover the solution with.  So it looks like I am using two vac hoses and no solution line. 

This means there is no contact between any solution hose and any floor or textile within the property.

The hoses are then tied with shoe laces around the banisters, door hinges or wherever I chose so as not to pull against anything, well as much as poss.

I use shoe laces as they are less marking than any straps or bungee cords and I therefore have more control of what could be secondary damage to the clients property.

There are of course corner guards used on all corners wherever they may be and sometimes, but not on the job I am talking about now, I will use corner guards on the stairs them selves.  I even use corner guards on the outside of a property to protect steps and or corners.

I also used two air movers, stacked at the entrance doorway moving the inside air out so as not to bring in outside ambient air into the building.

There are a few etceteras but I am sure you get my drift.

The above takes time to do............

Best, Dave.